Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Same. Pickup/dropoff was in Manhattan (43rd and 3rd). Showed the guy gas receipt when dropping off, but he literally could not get the <75 mile fuel surcharge removed, even though he indicated I had filled up. Told me I had to go inside to have the agent at the counter fix the erroneous charge.
I did not have to show anything but I did have it in my hand just in case. I never try to fix anything at the drop off site; I alway head to the CS counter because I perfer to deal with managers about billing errors.

Two weeks ago I rented again with Avis and only drove about 57 miles. I was NOT charged extra this time.

I also must add that my Avis profile states that I will always bring the car back full.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
I also must add that my Avis profile states that I will always bring the car back full.
Not to split hairs, but all that is indicated in your profile is that you decline the Fuel Service Option, meaning you're not purchasing a full tank in advance. Profile settings really have no bearing on whether or not you're hit with the <75 mile surcharge.

IME, the gas station is usually my last stop before returning a car and I always hold on to my gas receipt anyway for expense report purposes, presenting it at the time of return is no more of a hassle than presenting my drivers license with my boarding pass at security. I know the requirement exists and I take the minimal effort it takes to prepare beforehand. I make it a point to show the receipt to the return rep and I go over my charges before I leave the side of the car, I've never had to go inside to have a charge removed.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've been known to drive a car for an extra ten minutes to get up to 78-79 miles and avoid the entire issue.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Since when you last rented a car with less than 75 miles driven?
I do it quite often.
For International trips, I often stay at the gateway/connection city overnight versus risking a mis-connect. Airport hotel rates are usually a lot higher than if you travel a few miles out, but beyond the "airport shuttle" area. A car rental + cheaper hotel can be a lower price than the airport hotel. Plus I have the flexibility to go exploring or find a better place to eat than the hotel. A minor bonus is a few extra FF miles for the car.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
A co-worker of mine hated driving to and parking at his local airport. So he would rent a car from the same airport for one day and then park it in his driveway until he had to leave for his trip. He never had to refill the gastank and put no more than 10 miles on the car. He racked up the FF miles without spending a ton of extra money.

Since he can now earn miles through airport shuttles, a rental car is not need anymore.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check you receipt carefully to make sure Avis didn't think you drove less than 75 miles, even if you know you drove way more.

Just a few days ago at LAX, I returned a weekly rental where I'd driven 177 miles. At the checikin, they gave me a "receipt" that says "check-in failed, go to counter". At the counter, they printed a receipt within a minute or so. But when I walked away and read it, I saw they only thought I drove 77 miles, because they keyed in the "mileage out" wrong (1000 high).

I now shudder to think that if they'd made this mistake on a car that I'd driven 173 miles, they would have not only gotten the miles driven wrong, but as a result would have charged me for gas!

So always check to see that they didn't accidentally calculate that you drove less than 75 miles, and charge you as a result, even when you know you drove signficantly more....
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:09 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Red face What about this...

Returned a car to LAX last week. Had the gas receipt in my hand. The lady at Avis see the receipt. Acknowledges that I did fill the car with gas...

Sitting on the plane about 2 hours later working on my expense report. Go to log the rental car, and what do I see??? A FREAKIN gas charge. SOB!!!

Needless to say, I was not the happiest camper in the world. Had to order a 2nd Bloody Mary just calm myself down!
Old Nov 26, 2009, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
It's more wise guy stuff, like pre-installed EZ Pass units, which triple the actual toll. Non existent customer service, I am told, has been outsourced, which figures. They will eventually attract a nice juicy class action, so keep track. You will get it back in spades, and the morons who run the place will simply sit there, not understanding how they caused it. Welcome to business in this country, circa 2009.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by deelmakur
It's more wise guy stuff, like pre-installed EZ Pass units, which triple the actual toll. Non existent customer service, I am told, has been outsourced, which figures. They will eventually attract a nice juicy class action, so keep track. You will get it back in spades, and the morons who run the place will simply sit there, not understanding how they caused it. Welcome to business in this country, circa 2009.
Huh??

When I had my 75-mile fuel service charge applied despite my filling the tank(as I reported in post #34 of this thread), I found Avis Customer Support very pleasant to deal with and with no unintelligible accents. Once I faxed in my rental agreement and receipt, the charges, including taxes, were quickly reversed with no hassles.

By the way, you don't have to use the EZ Pass unit if you don't want to.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
My version:
I rented a car at YEG. Gassed it up just outside the airport and returned it. The attendent acknowledges the gas receipt and doesn't charge me the fuel charge. I get a revised receipt later in the day with the fuel charge added.

Call the customer line and complain about the fuel charge and the fact it is added later. I had to fax in the gas receipt to get it removed.

Guess I'll be renting elsewhere next time in YEG.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:36 pm
Original Member

Response to Keeton..

I have my own EZPass. I was unaware the one in the Avis car had been activated. They are supposed to be off when you get the car. When I called your famous Customer Service, they told me (Prepaid Tolls) it was a separate, Non affiliated company, and gave me a toll free number.

The guy who answered was called Adam. He told me to pound sand, in so many words, and said, if I wanted it fixed, I needed to send him a copy of my own EZPass statement. It was only 4 bucks, but I wanted to see what would happen, so I got it online, and faxed it to him, showing that one of the tolls paid on my own account was actually on my route to EWR, on the same morning.

They never responded. Also, this supposedly independent company only works with Avis and co-owned Budget, and just happens to be in Garden City, NY, home of Avis.

99% of the time, the fuel surcharge over writes the check in statement, and charges you, even when the location tries to void it. There will be a Class Action, I am most certain. It's easy money for some shyster, and, frankly, it couldn’t happen to nicer people. By the way, I am President's Club (yawn).
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by deelmakur
I have my own EZPass. I was unaware the one in the Avis car had been activated. They are supposed to be off when you get the car. When I called your famous Customer Service, they told me (Prepaid Tolls) it was a separate, Non affiliated company, and gave me a toll free number.
This is incorrect. AVIS doesnt turn the EZPass on or off depending on your vehicle. You do not have to request them to turn it on, nor do they turn it off upon request. They are always active.

There are no switches on the EZPass Transponder. The only way for them to actually shut down the Transponder would be to de-register it with the Toll Agency it was originally registered with. That's not going to happen with each and every rental.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:53 am
Original Member

I believe you slide the housing closed, to shut it down. I simply hadn't noticed it was open. The same vehicle had no gas cap, and didn't have a full tank. Get my point. They have become sloppy, and are rude to customers. Somebody will get them for these "gotcha" charges, designed to cheat people who are in a hurry. I know of no business model like that, which won't hurt a company. You want to pay a 300% premium on things like $5 bridge tolls, be my guest.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Delta SkyMiles, Midwest Miles, AAdvantage
I got burned at LAS a few weeks ago, but not in the usual way. When I picked up the car I got a nice Tahoe (had reserved an intermediate, so it was a good upgrade). Dropped the Tahoe off with a full tank 3 days later at 4am when everything at Avis was closed.

Got home and checked for a receipt online a couple of days later, and the rental agreement was still open. Called the LAS office and the girl there said they would close the rental. I told her the tank was full and guess-timated the mileage at 200. She said she would take care of it.

Checked a day later and the rental was closed with a $103 gas charge! Called the Avis customer service number and was told to fax in my fuel receipt and they would reverse the charge. Did so, and a week later the receipt still showed the charge, so I had to call YET AGAIN and finally got the charge taken off. So much for being "Avis First".

Normally I rent from Dollar when in Vegas, but this time I wanted a nicer quality vehicle with no hassles so I went with my business rental choice of Avis. Now I'm sorry I did.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I've been known to drive a car for an extra ten minutes to get up to 78-79 miles and avoid the entire issue.
This.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.