Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
This.
Great post....

The REAL rip-off here is when Avis charges for fuel when driven under 75 miles, but doesn't refill the tank! What kind of BS is that? They're charging customers for absolutely nothing! And then, to add insult to injury, the next person to rent the car will be at a disadvantage because they'll only use, say, 5 gallons of gas but have to put 6 gallons back in. IT'S THEFT.

Oh, and for you guys who put only a little gas back in when it requires more or keep the car running and stop right when the needle hits F, you guys are scum. You're being dishonest, and again, to add insult to injury, you're not even hurting the dreaded multi-national, corporate greedy Avis; you're hurting your fellow FTers. You should rethink your strategies because I know you wouldn't like it if someone did that to you.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:57 am

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Great post....

The REAL rip-off here is when Avis charges for fuel when driven under 75 miles, but doesn't refill the tank! What kind of BS is that? They're charging customers for absolutely nothing! And then, to add insult to injury, the next person to rent the car will be at a disadvantage because they'll only use, say, 5 gallons of gas but have to put 6 gallons back in. IT'S THEFT.

Oh, and for you guys who put only a little gas back in when it requires more or keep the car running and stop right when the needle hits F, you guys are scum. You're being dishonest, and again, to add insult to injury, you're not even hurting the dreaded multi-national, corporate greedy Avis; you're hurting your fellow FTers. You should rethink your strategies because I know you wouldn't like it if someone did that to you.

All major rental company locations have their cars vacuumed, washed and top up the gas before they are offered to the next customer.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:09 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Lets keep the name calling and negativity off of this board. You're welcome to your opinion, but we don't want FT to turn into what some boards have become.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:23 am

Lets keep the name calling and negativity off of this board.
I totally agree.
I recently got nailed because I was on a tollway where I paid the 50 cents. I hate the boxes.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Lets keep the name calling and negativity off of this board.
True - Sorry for the tirade. It just gets under my skin.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by openflync
All major rental company locations have their cars vacuumed, washed and top up the gas before they are offered to the next customer.
There have been some comments on this thread that Avis has NOT been topping off the cars.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Me at a recent return in COS:

Me: Just so you know I filled up the car with gas
Agent: Thank you very much <Hands me Receipt>
Me <glancing at receipt>: I noticed you didn't take off the fuel service charge
Agent <with an annoyed tone>: Can I see your gas receipt?
<Prints me off a new receipt with the fuel service removed>

I didn't like the fact that the agent charged me the fee even after informing her that I had filled up the car. I don't always have the time to review the receipt before leaving the car. And I am usually unloading luggage while the agent is finalizing my rental and printing my receipt, so I just verbally tell them I filled up the car. If they want to see the receipt, then fine, but let me know so I can take a break from unloading.

A usual return experience
Me: Just so you know I filled up the car with gas
Agent: Thank you very much
<sometimes agent asks to verify with gas receipt, more often takes my word>
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP+2MM & WN CP
Great post....

Why so angry bud! Did you drink too much egg nog and spent your gas money at baby dolls or what!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BreezwayFlyer
I didn't like the fact that the agent charged me the fee even after informing her that I had filled up the car. I don't always have the time to review the receipt before leaving the car. And I am usually unloading luggage while the agent is finalizing my rental and printing my receipt, so I just verbally tell them I filled up the car. If they want to see the receipt, then fine, but let me know so I can take a break from unloading.
I've had it happen maybe 25% of the time. In the agents (many) defense, they claim they press the key to "void out" the charge, because it automatically appears, but sometimes their handhelds don't "take it". At first I thought it was a scam, but after agent #10 at 10 different airports gave me the same story, I started to believe them. And no, I dont think there's a corporate directive to blatantly ignore the customer.

So lesson learned, always check your receipt. Whether its AVIS, or Hilton, TGI Fridays, or your local grocery store. Its a good practice for life.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
I've run into this:
my first few email complaints resulted in 4 x $25 vouchers, so that worked for me.

the next time i was charged even more than the stated $10.50 (now $14). that email provided a response that said, essentially:

"your company policy is to return it full. since you didn't, we (avis) are deciding to charge you for fuel at the non pre-paid rate". so that meant a charge of around $18

a subsequent email to avis went unanswered..

now i just fill it up. my colleague allows more travel time and gets it changed
at the avis office every time..
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dtw_brad
I've run into this:
my first few email complaints resulted in 4 x $25 vouchers, so that worked for me.

the next time i was charged even more than the stated $10.50 (now $14). that email provided a response that said, essentially:

"your company policy is to return it full. since you didn't, we (avis) are deciding to charge you for fuel at the non pre-paid rate". so that meant a charge of around $18

a subsequent email to avis went unanswered..

now i just fill it up. my colleague allows more travel time and gets it changed
at the avis office every time..
I'm confused...if you didn't refill the car, why would you be upset that Avis charged you for the gas you used?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Safest bet is to keep your gas receipt handy when you pull into the car return area. I'll usually point it out to the return agent right after the customary greetings, but if if they miss it (or print the receipt too quickly), I'll point out that I declined fuel service AND returned the vehicle with a full tank, and they're able to remove the fuel service charge from the PDA and generate a new receipt. Never had an issue with this.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by openflync
??? I...don't...think...so! I can't count the number of times, over many years and with a number of companies, that I've had to ask that the gas tank be filled for me prior to leaving a rental lot. Have watched as up to three gallons are pumped into what most customers would assume is a "topped off" tank. So, no, all major rental companies do not "top up the gas".
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by ColoBill1
??? I...don't...think...so! I can't count the number of times, over many years and with a number of companies, that I've had to ask that the gas tank be filled for me prior to leaving a rental lot. Have watched as up to three gallons are pumped into what most customers would assume is a "topped off" tank. So, no, all major rental companies do not "top up the gas".
This was quite a shock to me when I first found this out. I really hate it when companies are dishonest. Could be a class-action if it got bad enough?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Elola
I'm confused...if you didn't refill the car, why would you be upset that Avis charged you for the gas you used?
They charged me at the per gallon rate, not the flat rate based on either the miles or the fractional amount used, ie 1/8th of a gallon.

What I am saying is that b/c of my company policy AVIS took the liberty to charge me at the per gallon non-pre paid rate, which is quite a bit more than the flat rate advertised in each and every rental car

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.