Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by AussieCR
The BMW 5 series is a nice ride so long as you can get a 2015 with low milage.. a lot of them in there fleet are now +25k miles and 2014.. not worth the extra $'s there asking in my view (outside of pure BMW branding factor).

Even the new 2015 models they have are pretty much base and don't have heads up display, full camera system, electronics etc. Seems they only care about getting the upgraded $'s for the badge not the full experience for the customer.
Thanks for the tip!

Given that it's still priced at $550 (plus tax and what not) and my luxury rental keeps dropping in price (has dropped from $430 => $320 so far!), I'll keep the luxury rental and take my chances with what I get.. Come on K900!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:24 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Avis now has a slew of the new 2015 Ford Transit vans (replaced the Econoline vans). I didn't look at passenger capacity, but they've had these at all the stations I've visited in the past 2 weeks. DTW this week had 4 on the "exchange lot", LOL.

Just a head's up: most credit cards that offer coverage on vehicles do NOT cover full size vans (or vehicles that seat over 8-9 passengers) so if you rent one of these, be sure you have the necessary coverage.

Lastly: Not specific to Avis, but I'll post here anyway as a public service announcement: AmEx does NOT cover full size SUVs on their standard auto rental insurance! They specifically exclude Suburbans and other similar vehicles. I've been driving "uninsured" many times on these recently. Oops!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, QF Platinum and Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Just a head's up: most credit cards that offer coverage on vehicles do NOT cover full size vans (or vehicles that seat over 8-9 passengers) so if you rent one of these, be sure you have the necessary coverage.

Lastly: Not specific to Avis, but I'll post here anyway as a public service announcement: AmEx does NOT cover full size SUVs on their standard auto rental insurance! They specifically exclude Suburbans and other similar vehicles. I've been driving "uninsured" many times on these recently. Oops!
Very true, not only for AmEx but also MC (not sure Visa) - MC also don't cover any rental vehicle with a sticker price over $50,000. Whilst there are not many cars in the Avis fleet with a sticker price above this there are a few so if you do opt for a great deal on an upgrade ensure your insured one way or the other.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:26 am

Greetings from Singapore!

I am going on a roadtrip covering 20 states from May - Jun 2015 (1 month). Looking to rent a luxury car, i.e. 328i, Cadillac CTS etc. from JFK airport.

Looking to book a Premium and going there on site to haggle a little bit. Is it likely that I will be getting a better rate haggling then, or to book a guaranteed vehicle?

Appreciate if somebody could also share some discount codes for a month-long rental. I am a AAA member, and am currently using the generic code B9000000.

How is the season like in May 2015? Would i be expecting lots of cars to select from on site or would it be difficult, i.e. peak season? Are the vehicles able to travel out of state, as long as i return to the renting location?

Lastly, any recommended vehicles to hire for a roadtrip? Looking for a fair mix of power + comfort since we're averaging 7 hours drive a day, covering 6500 miles in a month.

Looking forward to fellow members' inputs. Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Ralph Lee Kuok En
Looking to book a Premium and going there on site to haggle a little bit. Is it likely that I will be getting a better rate haggling then, or to book a guaranteed vehicle?

Appreciate if somebody could also share some discount codes for a month-long rental. I am a AAA member, and am currently using the generic code B9000000.

How is the season like in May 2015? Would i be expecting lots of cars to select from on site or would it be difficult, i.e. peak season? Are the vehicles able to travel out of state, as long as i return to the renting location?

Lastly, any recommended vehicles to hire for a roadtrip? Looking for a fair mix of power + comfort since we're averaging 7 hours drive a day, covering 6500 miles in a month.
If you want a full lot with lots of choices, avoid picking up vehicles on weekends at NY locations, specifically Friday and Saturday. Lots of New Yorkers do not own cars and use rentals for weekend getaways.

The quintessential American Way of driving would be taking this roadtrip not in a car but in a (premium) SUV. You sit high and all passengers enjoy a commanding view and generous space. I just did 1,100 miles in a day out of Miami in a well-appointed Jeep Grand Cherokee and the thing just ate up the miles... Also, if you plan to go out West, the all-wheel drive and higher ground clearance will let you explore unpaved but scenic routes like the loop drive around Monument Valley that are off-limits to ordinary cars.
Avis will let you drive its cars anywhere in the US (lower 48). You may even take them into Canada.

I'd recommend going through one of the European sites and getting a package that includes insurance. The AWD in this post in the 'discount coupon' thread give consistently good prices which include all the insurance.
Be sure to compare prices across avis.de, avis.fr and www.avisautonoleggio.it - they can differ markedly... I found avis.de to usually give the best rates for New York rentals.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:08 am

The last time I visited the US I had booked a full-size and got upgraded to a Mustang. The discount code I had used included insurance, but later when read the fine-print on the rental slip I noted that the insurance had been removed! Was that because I was upgraded to a specialty car?

I didn't read all the fine-print when I signed for the car, but can they really just remove the insurance without telling?

Luckily nothing happened though...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Currently in a 2015 Caddy CTS with the new logo... talk about bells and whistles. Better equipped than the XTSs in the fleet.
What class did you rent to get that?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:50 am

Standard SUV/Class W at Newark (EWR)?

Do someone have recent sighting of what cars Avis (and Budget) at Newark (EWR) is offering in the Standard SUV/Class W?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis PPlus, Hertz PC, Hilton & BW Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott & IHG Gold
Avis now has a slew of the new 2015 Ford Transit vans (replaced the Econoline vans). I didn't look at passenger capacity, but they've had these at all the stations I've visited in the past 2 weeks. DTW this week had 4 on the "exchange lot", LOL.

Interesting. I'll have to remember that when I rent next time for work. Both the full-size vans and SUV situation with AmEx.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:23 am

Hello from Germany,

who can tell me what convertibles are available at Orlando Airport?
If they have Mustangs, will it be the brand new model that came on the market end of 2014, or is it still the predecessor?

Thank you very much!
erbu
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
Got a low-spec Maxima (sunroof, but no Tech Package) last week as a Premium at the Coral Springs, FL neighborhood location. The reservation was for full size and I used an upgrade coupon. Sadly, it needed an oil change so this week I'm stuck with a Kia Optima, despite the upgrade coupon (and Avis First).

Now to figure out what to say to get them to swap it for something that doesn't suck. The Optima's handling is poor and the brakes are soft, despite it having only 5,500 miles on the clock. I much preferred the 35,000 mile 2014 Maxima. Anyone know if it's possible to switch out the coupon on the reservation so I can use a $ off instead?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:53 am

Question

Heading to DTW next month for a long weekend. I'm wondering what Luxury cars they have these days... Avis still using the "new" Q70 (M37)? Right now I have a Luxury booking as it was 3.5x's cheaper than their listed Speciality cars. Plus their usual Specialties/Signatures are lacking these days, I don't know if Detroit was allotted a Ghibli or E350... DTW has a 740 they like to hide in the back corner . If recent renters have any insight..
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:07 pm

cars @ MCO location

Hey guys, I have to rent a car next week in MCO. Does anybody know what avis offers for standard suv and luxury car types? I know there is a list on the first page but maybe someone can help me out with an updated car list in MCO.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by AussieCR
Very true, not only for AmEx but also MC (not sure Visa) - MC also don't cover any rental vehicle with a sticker price over $50,000. Whilst there are not many cars in the Avis fleet with a sticker price above this there are a few so if you do opt for a great deal on an upgrade ensure your insured one way or the other.
AMEX does cover rental vehicles with a sticker price over $50,000. It's called premium card rental protection. It's $24.95 per rental, it covers up to $100,000. Way cheaper than the insurance that car rental companies offer.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Whoa! I guess I've just been getting automatic upgrades (or the old-body Impalas) all this time, but I was just given a Malibu as a "full size" car...and then discovered that the Impala is now "premium". Boo. Sic transit the "soccer mom car" of the rental fleet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.