Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Booked: Intermediate
Received: Infiniti Q70 AWD w/nav

Key fob didn't work though...couldn't lock the car for the ~48 hours I had it.

Last edited by QSilver; Mar 11, 2014 at 3:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ivyesq2012
Guess I'm a bit confused about Preferred Select & Go when you mention anyone with midsize reservation could have taken it. I was assigned the BMW 528 as I explain below...
Preferred Select and Go is really about *changing* vehicles in the Select and Go area.

You didnt choose the vehicle from S&G... You were assigned it. It wasnt in the Select and Go marked spaces (exchange or upgrade).

Brett
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by QSilver
Booked: Intermediate
Received: Infiniti Q70 AWD w/nav

Key fob didn't work though...couldn't lock the car for the ~48 hours I had it.
I just had a Q70 and was hoping they would have redone the interior for the renaming/tweaking of the exterior. Still a great car, but could use a refreshing. Hopefully nothing was stolen while you had it unlocked?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Hopefully nothing was stolen while you had it unlocked?
No, I was in a pretty good area the entire time I had it.

Got a great explanation when I returned it: "The battery in the key fob must be drained enough to prevent locking/unlocking the car but not quite dead enough to prevent using the push-to-start button on the dash."
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by QSilver
Got a great explanation when I returned it: "The battery in the key fob must be drained enough to prevent locking/unlocking the car but not quite dead enough to prevent using the push-to-start button on the dash."
I'd never thought about that! I'd be annoyed if the battery drained & there was no way to get the FOB to communicate with the car to start. And that's where the BMW self-charging battery is nice (some models will charge when in the dash slot).
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
My car has a fob and on the outside handle there is a sensor to lock and unlock.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I'd never thought about that! I'd be annoyed if the battery drained & there was no way to get the FOB to communicate with the car to start. And that's where the BMW self-charging battery is nice (some models will charge when in the dash slot).
This is true, but the newer BMW models don't all have the dash slot. My 2011 M3 had it, although I never used it because it was also a keyless start. I only put the key in the dash when I had to valet the car.

My new 2014 M5 doesn't have the slot on the dash. There is a slot in between the cup holders, but it is only to put the key and not for any type of charging.

Originally Posted by Impaul4
My car has a fob and on the outside handle there is a sensor to lock and unlock.
Yes, the button on the door handle will work if the key fob battery has enough power. However, there usually is a hide-a-key in the fob and a way to unlock the car the old fashion way.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:54 pm

The modern BMWs I've been in (and my own car, a Focus Titanium) have a hidden key inside the fob and then a pop off cover on the steering column.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Booked: Compact
Received: Full-Size (Kia Optima)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:54 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Booked: One way to Toronto—Hudson's Bay Centre, Full-size
Received: Taurus SEL AWD (leather, working Sirius, sunroof), Premium.

I am President's Club.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Reserved: Full size
Received: Infiniti Q50

I was originally assigned a Lincoln MKZ, but requested something different. I wanted to get one of the BMWs. My rental was too long to get it (31 days) so I had a choice between the Infiniti and Tahoe. I miss the Infiniti QX80 I just turned in already.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by sanctified50
Reserved: Full size
Received: Infiniti Q50

I was originally assigned a Lincoln MKZ, but requested something different. I wanted to get one of the BMWs. My rental was too long to get it (31 days) so I had a choice between the Infiniti and Tahoe. I miss the Infiniti QX80 I just turned in already.
The Q50 is much better than any of the Beemer sedans (except maybe the 7 -series). I have a '14 5 series from National and I wish i had my Q50 from last weekend!.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
The Q50 is much better than any of the Beemer sedans (except maybe the 7 -series). I have a '14 5 series from National and I wish i had my Q50 from last weekend!.
Fully agree! The Q50 is nice! My only "complaints" (first world problems, I know...)
-The 2 screens in the center of the dash are different (top is like the old/matte Infiniti screens; bottom is a newer style/glossy). It looks like 2 different groups weren't talking during the refresh of the model.
-Cup holders are difficult/awkward for the driver to reach.
-Heated seat dials on the G/M/Q70 are better than the new buttons on the Q50. Buttons feel cheap compared to the older knobs.
-I dislike how the gas pedal on Nissans/Infiniti/others are hinged at the floor instead of an arm behind that supports the pedal (the "old style"). My leg gets tired/sore quickly on long drives with the Nissan set-up.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:02 pm

What trim level is Avis ordering? The one I had from National was a 3.7 AWD Premium.

Also the Avis selection at DCA is terrible. Why I usually rent from National. Wish I had those CLT upgrades!!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
What trim level is Avis ordering? The one I had from National was a 3.7 AWD Premium.
LAS has the same 3.7 AWD Prem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.