Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Exactly! Longer rentals are harder to get good upgrades on because they don't want it out of commission so long. Others on here previously noted that they would reserve for just a day or a few hours & then call to extend the reservation as soon as they pulled out of the lot But with Avis charging extension fees, I don't know if folks still do that.

My rental was just 1 day so that probably helped my cause in getting the Z4. And when I got to RDU, I waited 20 minutes for a bus. After zero Avis buses, I called the CC desk and 2 minutes later a bus pulled up. The driver & the manager were apologetic, so I'm sure that helped my cause too.

Funny you should mention that abt the Taurus: When I said I disliked the 3/5 series, she immediately said "We have some really nice Tauruses." Meh, they are nice, but I like trying new things.
I figured that was the reason. I have scored some great upgrades on 28 day rentals. I guess over 30 was pushing it.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
AMS

PC
Reserved Compact
Received Opel Insignia

It's a larger car than I wanted, but this is a nice ride.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:55 pm

Booked: Full Size (7 day rental)

Requested: Jeep Grand Cherokee or BMW 328/528/X5

Received: Jeep Grand Cherokee (and offered BMW 328 or X5 for $20 per day upgrade)
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Booked: Compact
Received: Hyundai Accent with 100mi

I think this may have been considered an upgrade because it had four doors and a real trunk and was practically brand new.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Booked: Mid Size
Received: Lincoln MKZ with under 2k miles

Fully loaded, decent car, but I would rather be driving a similarly equipped Taurus. It took me a couple minutes to find the buttons to put the car into Drive.

Side note, they had a 7 series BMW on the lot. I thought about asking for it, but didn't.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Booked: Intermediate
Received: Volvo S60 T5

Nice car that drove well. Weird orange/copper color.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Booked: Intermediate
Received Originally: Nissan Altima
Waited 10 minutes for: Mazda CX-9

Got to BOS around 9pm on Monday. "Rental Ctr" on on the board next to my name. Go inside the booth. "I have a Nissan Altima for you" says the agent.

I ask for what else he has... "Nissan Altima".

"No other cars?" I say. He points outside to a completely empty deck of the new rental center. There was literally 4 cars out there. And 200 empty spaces. There was a Nissan Altima, a Ford Focus and two Ford C-Max's.

I waited around, and they finally drove up some freshly washed cars... and I took the CX-9.

Rough day for Boston, I guess.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Booked: Premium
Received Originally: Toyota Rav4.

I originally had my car booked for pick up at 11:30 a, my Global Entry interview took longer than expected and I got to the desk and was given the Rav4. Get the car and the dash said, maintenance required. Walked back to the desk and was given a Nissan Altima...for a premium car...left with it and went on me way. Started to rain and the wipers didn't work...called Avis @ DFW and was told at first that I couldn't exchange it, told them that I was a First member and instantly said "oh yes, we can change it!" I head back to the airport to exchange it and after some talking I was given a Lincoln MKT2. They offered me that car, a Camero, and an F-150.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Class reserved: Full size
Car received: Volvo S60
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Car received: Camaro SS
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:09 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
This is a total knockoff of the thread in Hertz... but what's good for the goose...

The listing is slightly different... but let's list your:

- Location.
- Class Reserved (let's just go with class names like "mid-size" rather than code)
- Car Received (with any notes about the car, if you want).
- Your status.

You may begin.

In this thread, I see that many people include a line that says "Requested". What does that mean in this context? Is there a way to make a request while making a reservation on the website. Or do you have to go up to the counter to make this request?

Below, I'm not surprised that they'd ask for more $ per day for a BMW. Do they sometimes give you a free upgrade just because your courageous enough to walk up and ask? It almost seems like (for example if you're going to DEN for a ski trip) to reserve a full-size and then ask for an SUV instead of reserving one.

Booked: Full Size (7 day rental)
Requested: Jeep Grand Cherokee or BMW 328/528/X5
Received: Jeep Grand Cherokee (and offered BMW 328 or X5 for $20 per day upgrade)
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by IADDCA
In this thread, I see that many people include a line that says "Requested". What does that mean in this context? Is there a way to make a request while making a reservation on the website. Or do you have to go up to the counter to make this request?
When I make a reservation, as a Chairman, I know that I will be offered an upgrade. Instead of playing "Rental Car Roulette", I email the Chairman desk with my confirmation number and let them know what type of vehicle I would like to have for my upgrade. They then add it to the notes.

Upgrades are not guaranteed, but they do try their best to accommodate when possible.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:30 am

Car assigned: Chevy Captiva
Car taken: Mitsubishi Outlander with 4WD and 7 seats from Select & Go

Also had a range of cars from Compact to Full Size (nothing remarkable), a minivan, and a Dodge Journey (which i thought was a minivan until i was pulling out or else i would have taken it!). Overall was quite surprised by the selection at 2 am...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: CO *G, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Booked: Full Size
Received: 2014 Infiniti QX60

Unfortunately without NAV or working XM, nice ride though and was interesting to compare to a my 2013 Acura MDX that work assigned me.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
LYS

PCI
Reserved compact
Received Peugot 2008 - not bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.