Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
William P. Hobby Airport

Booked a Luxury car and was assigned a Infinity G37. Walked the lot and saw a bunch of BMW 528i's. Initially they wanted a extra $20 a day for the 528i but talked him down to $15 a day extra for it. Very nice car!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport

Booked the BMW 328i but flight was majorly delayed and the car (the only BMW they have) was given away. Instead, they gave me the options of a Camaro, Mustang, or Mustang Convertible. I took the Mustang V6 Premium Convertible and loved it due to the nice weather in February.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by jisaac
The Navigators are horrible. Only had them out of Atlanta twice. I prefer the Tahoe for similar size any day. The Navigator seems to strain when accelerating and was worse on gas than any other rental I can recall.
I like the Navigator but it is horrendous on gas. If you can get an Escalade, that's better in my opinion.

Originally Posted by jisaac
Ditto. I have had very favorable experiences as a Chairman. Cannot recall any denials off hand with exception of once in Tampa they had me in a G37 and I said I wanted almost anything else. They pushed back because the car received "extra treatment" for me. I reiterated and accepted the BMW 328 since the 528 was too much of an upgrade.
Yeah, they typically give extra care when cleaning CHM cars. And if I ask for something other than what I'm assigned, they often want to detail the car. However, if it's a location that I frequent, they know not to bother for me. As long as it's not muddy/sticky inside, I don't complain about cleanliness of the cars to agents. Heck, I often take cars from the dirty/return line if it's a car I want.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:23 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Where: ABQ
Booked: Full size, 15 day rental
Requested (by phone to ABQ location): Grand Cherokee 4WD
Assigned: 2013 Grand Cherokee 4WD Limited w/27K miles

No complaints. I suppose I could wish for the improved 2014 model, but I'm completely satisfied with the upgrade -- and the Limited trim is a big plus. I'll report back later with how it works out for this 2-week road trip through Colorado.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Best ever upgrade, could be a 1-off unlikely to repeat

Booked BA flight AMS-LGW 4 night weekend Fri-Mon hire and added Avis car, group D/E eg Vauxhall Astra when booking my flight.

At LGW I received BMW 1-Series obviously from Prestige Range BUT it was top of range BMW 1-Series M version ... A Superb bonus ^
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Best ever upgrade, could be a 1-off unlikely to repeat

Booked BA flight AMS-LGW 4 night weekend Fri-Mon hire and added Avis car, group D/E eg Vauxhall Astra when booking my flight.

At LGW I received BMW 1-Series obviously from Prestige Range BUT it was top of range BMW 1-Series M version ... A Superb bonus ^
Was it a 1M or an M135i? Both great cars, but the former is quite rare. There seems to be a glut of M135is around as the UK lease deals on these have been very competitive recently.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by sapman986
Was it a 1M or an M135i? Both great cars, but the former is quite rare. There seems to be a glut of M135is around as the UK lease deals on these have been very competitive recently.
Considering the 1 M coupe left production two years ago with only 6,000 built I doubt it's ever been in any rental fleet.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by mittencuh
Considering the 1 M coupe left production two years ago with only 6,000 built I doubt it's ever been in any rental fleet.
I agree, but he did say "top of the range".
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by sapman986
I agree, but he did say "top of the range".
Which in the current 1 series line which has been on sale a while now is the 135 with M Sport package...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by mittencuh
Which in the current 1 series line which has been on sale a while now is the 135 with M Sport package...
Okay buddy, you win
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:15 pm

Booked: Premium (7 day rental)

Received: BMW 528 (brand new with 100 miles) *assigned* through Avis Preferred Select & Go

Last edited by ivyesq2012; Mar 11, 2014 at 8:15 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by ivyesq2012
Booked: Premium (7 day rental)
Received: BMW 528 (brand new with 100 miles) through Avis Preferred Select & Go
A 5 Series was on the S&G aisle?!? That's very surprising, since anyone with a midsize reservation could have taken it.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
A 5 Series was on the S&G aisle?!? That's very surprising, since anyone with a midsize reservation could have taken it.
I'm willing to bet it was the "Upgrade" Select & Go area.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Booked: Full Size
Received: Option of Impala / Fusion / Rav4
Selected: Ford Escape

When I got to the airport, next to my name said, "Preferred Area" - no pre determined spot. Was offered one of the following - Impala; Fusion; or Rav4. When asked about upgrade - was reminded the terms & conditions that it is One Class Upgrade based on availability and that they didn't have many cars (could see PLENTY). Wanted space so asked for the Rav4. Checked it out - smelled like smoke & had 25k miles. In the Preferred Select & Go section, found a Ford Escape (6k miles). Went back to the lady and said I'll take the Escape. She showed me an angry face and while handing the keys to the Escape, said "You know usually there is a $15 up charge for those SUVs".

I wanted to say, 'then don't park it in the Preferred Select & Go section', but wanted to just get out of there. So didn't even say thanks and just left. Needless to say, Avis in Cleveland is pretty horrible!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Guess I'm a bit confused about Preferred Select & Go when you mention anyone with midsize reservation could have taken it. I was assigned the BMW 528 as I explain below...

Booked a premium because price was better than full size. I noticed that my card had been charged and received the email below. I'm now an Avis First member (and need a long term rental in LA) and am hoping that after the 4 weeks max rental period is up on the BMW 528, I can book a full size, get the free upgrade to premium, and then convince them to let me keep the same 528 for another 4 weeks... Wishful thinking but depending on who I speak with, maybe it could happen. The 528 is an amazing car.

Welcome to LOS ANGELES AP CA.

Your BLACK BMW 528I V6 is ready. Go to parking space XXX in our Avis Preferred® area. (License plate # (CA) XXXXXXX; Rental Agreement # XXXXXXXXX)

Your rental document will be ready at the exit gate (because we're paperless now). Just show the agent your driver's license. And if the BMW is not exactly what you wanted, you can exchange or upgrade from our Avis Preferred Select & GoSM area.

As a valued Avis Preferred member, the vehicle designated for your reservation (as indicated above) will remain available for 2 hours after your reservation time OR 2 hours after your flight has arrived at the airport. If for any reason your arrival at the Avis Facility is delayed, we will be happy to assign you a different vehicle when you visit our Avis Preferred counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.