Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gdenton
IAD has the following that i've seen

• Escalade (i've seen two in the lot at the same time)
  • Navigator
  • Suburban (only seen one actually)
  • Mercedes GL400 (they have two)
  • Tahoe (they have multiple)
  • BMW X5 (only seen this once - so it gets rented often)

Good thing about IAD is that they really do take care of you at preferred, so they'll tell you whats available and you can pick from that, or if you ask, they'll upgrade you usually without hesistation.
Thanks for the feedback! I had some points that I could've used on a minivan at Hertz, but I prefer the service I get with Avis, plus I wanted a large SUV.

I've got the premium size reserved (Suburban or equiv) so I hope I get that. I got an upgrade to a Tahoe this week and I do like it, just as IAHTraveler mentioned, very nicely equipped. Mine is an LT, but fairly loaded.

My biggest thing is I will need trunk space, as I'll have 6 adults with a carry on each and maybe a checked bag. Worst case, I'll be driving to BWI immediately after picking up at IAD, so I could swap there if for some reason IAD doesn't have a Suburban/Expedition EL sized vehicle.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by 1kIAH
Thanks for the feedback! I had some points that I could've used on a minivan at Hertz, but I prefer the service I get with Avis, plus I wanted a large SUV.

I've got the premium size reserved (Suburban or equiv) so I hope I get that. I got an upgrade to a Tahoe this week and I do like it, just as IAHTraveler mentioned, very nicely equipped. Mine is an LT, but fairly loaded.

My biggest thing is I will need trunk space, as I'll have 6 adults with a carry on each and maybe a checked bag. Worst case, I'll be driving to BWI immediately after picking up at IAD, so I could swap there if for some reason IAD doesn't have a Suburban/Expedition EL sized vehicle.
Make sure you tell them that or that they are aware, usually they'll go out of their way to accomendate you to the largest SUV that they have. And since you're already renting the premium size you should be good.

IAD & DCA car rental compaines usually have a lot of SUV's (GM family especially) mostly because of the proximity to DC and the car services/organizations that utilize these vehicles. So I wouldn't worry about inventory at IAD, they'll take care of you.

Oh -- Make sure you go to the preferred booth, or that your bus driver knows to take you there and not to the main one.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:05 pm

Your Avis status: Normal
Car type/class reserved: Reserved through autoeurope.ca using credit card. Class chosen is intermediate
Dortmund downtown
September 16th,2016

On the site it said it could be a ford mondeo or similar but the guy on the phone listed a ton of cars some which were minivans... (touran) and the nissian qashqai (rouge). Those two don't really seem like sedans or intermediates, more like suv or minivan
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by c444
Your Avis status: Normal
Car type/class reserved: Reserved through autoeurope.ca using credit card. Class chosen is intermediate
Dortmund downtown
September 16th,2016

On the site it said it could be a ford mondeo or similar but the guy on the phone listed a ton of cars some which were minivans... (touran) and the nissian qashqai (rouge). Those two don't really seem like sedans or intermediates, more like suv or minivan
Touran is "people carriers" category, group I or IFMR
Qasqai is indeed considered as a medium SUV, IDMR

More info (in German) http://www.avis.de/rund-um-avis/miet...en-deutschland
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:32 am

Indeed that would make sense. Although what's weird is the German site says the intermediate car can also be a VW golf... Why would you pay for an intermediate car and then wake up with a vw golf if they don't have a mondeo or something similar
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:06 pm

Im considering renting a Luxury at AVIS Las Vegas for 1 week, anyone have an idea on what i might get? idk if i like the MKZ enough
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:00 pm

Make sure you tell them that or that they are aware, usually they'll go out of their way to accomendate you to the largest SUV that they have. And since you're already renting the premium size you should be good.

IAD & DCA car rental compaines usually have a lot of SUV's (GM family especially) mostly because of the proximity to DC and the car services/organizations that utilize these vehicles. So I wouldn't worry about inventory at IAD, they'll take care of you.

Oh -- Make sure you go to the preferred booth, or that your bus driver knows to take you there and not to the main one.
So just a post-rental update:

Arrived on 9/14 to a Yukon XL 2WD w/ 21k miles. Saw an Expedition EL parked next to it, but I liked the Yukon so I took it.

Great car. Very similar to a Tahoe I had received previously.

On 9/16 arrived to the vehicle in the hotel garage to a totally flat tire. Called roadside, didn't show up for 2 hours, ended up changing the tire myself. Called Avis to see about a replacement (didn't feel comfortable driving around without a spare). Ended up going back to IAD that afternoon to swap vehicles.

They had another silver Yukon XL waiting for me, but when they went to check it out, they had a block. Apparently a recall had been put in, and due to the recall all GM SUVs were showing as unavailable. So the 3 Suburbans, Escalade, and Yukon XL was not allowed to be rented out.

They put me in a very tired looking Navigator they claimed was an upgrade (though it had 36k miles, interior was definitely well worn, and I feel like features-wise definitely lacking compared to the Yukon XL).

The biggest issue for me, was the lack of a 2nd row bench, so I could only transport 7 instead of 8. They didn't have anything else available (the Expedition EL they had, had body damage and didn't want to rent it).

Took the Navigator in the end for the remaining 2 days of my rental. Definitely didn't like it as much as the Yukon, also felt it sucked down gas wayyy faster than the Yukon.

Overall, Yukon XL was definitely the better rental, and now I know to stay away from the Lincoln until the next redesign.

Thanks for all the tips and advice posted here!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:09 am

So just a post-rental update:

Arrived on 9/14 to a Yukon XL 2WD w/ 21k miles. Saw an Expedition EL parked next to it, but I liked the Yukon so I took it.

Great car. Very similar to a Tahoe I had received previously.

On 9/16 arrived to the vehicle in the hotel garage to a totally flat tire. Called roadside, didn't show up for 2 hours, ended up changing the tire myself. Called Avis to see about a replacement (didn't feel comfortable driving around without a spare). Ended up going back to IAD that afternoon to swap vehicles.

They had another silver Yukon XL waiting for me, but when they went to check it out, they had a block. Apparently a recall had been put in, and due to the recall all GM SUVs were showing as unavailable. So the 3 Suburbans, Escalade, and Yukon XL was not allowed to be rented out.

They put me in a very tired looking Navigator they claimed was an upgrade (though it had 36k miles, interior was definitely well worn, and I feel like features-wise definitely lacking compared to the Yukon XL).

The biggest issue for me, was the lack of a 2nd row bench, so I could only transport 7 instead of 8. They didn't have anything else available (the Expedition EL they had, had body damage and didn't want to rent it).

Took the Navigator in the end for the remaining 2 days of my rental. Definitely didn't like it as much as the Yukon, also felt it sucked down gas wayyy faster than the Yukon.

Overall, Yukon XL was definitely the better rental, and now I know to stay away from the Lincoln until the next redesign.

Thanks for all the tips and advice posted here!

Hi, thanks for your update! I'm just wondering what was the reason for the recall? Technical?
Do you know the trim (SLE/SLT) of your Yukon XL and how well was it fitted with options?

Any recent experiences with premium SUV at JFK?

Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by techcharger
Hi, thanks for your update! I'm just wondering what was the reason for the recall? Technical?
Do you know the trim (SLE/SLT) of your Yukon XL and how well was it fitted with options?

Any recent experiences with premium SUV at JFK?

Thanks!
The folks at the Avis desk were pretty surprised about the recall as well, but didn't have any information past that. I did a quick google search, and the recall did come up having something to do with the upper control arms.

I believe the Yukon XL was an SLE? It was very well equipped. Had Apple Carplay, bose speakers, leather, sunroof, blind spot, pedestrian detection, forward collision warning, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, the works. It definitely made it a lot easier to drive around.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:17 pm

Anybody ever saw an Escalade ESV (long version) as a premium SUV?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:03 am

Avis Preferred Plus
LHR T5
Renting for 2 weeks
Booked compact, Vauxhall Astra or similar.

Hoping to get something diesel, with decent room, since we will be driving plenty and have the baby with us for the first time... bonus points if it's fun to drive, but that might mean foregoing the diesel option.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside

I believe the Yukon XL was an SLE? It was very well equipped. Had Apple Carplay, bose speakers, leather, sunroof, blind spot, pedestrian detection, forward collision warning, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, the works. It definitely made it a lot easier to drive around.
Definitely NOT an SLE. The SLE is their base model and only comes with cloth seats. Things like cooled seats and blind spot detection aren't available at all on the SLE. You had an SLT with the sunroof option.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:19 am

IAD has the following that i've seen

• Escalade (i've seen two in the lot at the same time)
  • Navigator
  • Suburban (only seen one actually)
  • Mercedes GL400 (they have two)
  • Tahoe (they have multiple)
  • BMW X5 (only seen this once - so it gets rented often)

Good thing about IAD is that they really do take care of you at preferred, so they'll tell you whats available and you can pick from that, or if you ask, they'll upgrade you usually without hesistation.
Just had a rental out of IAD and they do take care of you for sure, probably the best and easiest experience I ever had.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by viperboy
Just had a rental out of IAD and they do take care of you for sure, probably the best and easiest experience I ever had.
Surprised at all the love for IAD here. Rented a 328i, landed with no assigned car. Assignment (C300) came on the shuttle which leads me to believe it had just been returned; absolutely reeked of smoke. When I asked for a different vehicle was told that all alternatives were multiclass downgrades.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
I normally rent a Full-size at FRA because of added passengers, but this next trip I am travelling alone. Does anyone know what the "Compact" Class usually gets you at FRA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.