Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jason F Potvin
Avis status : Preferred Plus
Car type/class reserved : Convertible
General timing : Tuesday late evening, for 24h (tonight)

This is already my 4th Avis rental this month. Hoping for a nice upgrade (performance-oriented car) to go explore the nice desert/canyon/mountain roads in Nevada/Arizona.

I could've also put in a reservation for a Full size with an upgrade coupon, at the same rate, but I didn't think it would help.

TIA :-)
LAS is stingy with upgrades. Booked Full size as President and often just got Full size or an SUV.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:25 am

Avis status : Preferred
Car type/class reserved : Premium
General timing : Friday at about 6pm

I am hoping for a charger or challenger what do you think the chances of getting one at MCO are.

Only myself and wife are traveling so I am hoping for something like a challenger size as don't need a big car. Do you think they would consider say an entry level V6 Camaro/Mustang equivalent of a premium group rental?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue, AVIS PC, Hertz Gold
Avis status : Presidents Club
Car type/class reserved : Convertible (Mustang or similar)
General timing : 1st July around 1PM (13:00), 22 days

Curious to understand how they upgrade this booking.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by NITR8
Avis status : Preferred
Car type/class reserved : Premium
General timing : Friday at about 6pm

I am hoping for a charger or challenger what do you think the chances of getting one at MCO are.

Only myself and wife are traveling so I am hoping for something like a challenger size as don't need a big car. Do you think they would consider say an entry level V6 Camaro/Mustang equivalent of a premium group rental?

You might be able to talk your way into a Mustang. Personally i would go for a Charger RT. Ive scored those on premium res before. Way more fun than a base Camaro or Stang.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Amex Plat (UK)
  • Preferred
  • Premium (Group G) reserved through British Airways as a flight/car package
  • One-way Toronto YYZ to Montreal YUL
  • Picking up 02 April (Sunday) around 16:30

Any ideas what I might get assigned, and what might be available for less than $20/day upcharge?

I've read through the other upgrade log thread but most of them are PP and higher status; I'm just bog-standard Preferred.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
One way rental Vancouver to Calgary

Car reserved: Group W - Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar
Location: pick up downtown Vancouver and return to Calgary airport
Timing: August - 15 day rental

Any idea what car I would be likely to get in Downtown Vancouver Group W. As presidents Club hoping for upgrade but since rental is more than 14 days long and not at airport location not sure? Am I better trying to pick-up at Airport than downtown to improve chances or phoning the location in advance to chat through the reservation and put in a request.?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:28 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by thefuzzylogic
  • Preferred
  • Premium (Group G) reserved through British Airways as a flight/car package
  • One-way Toronto YYZ to Montreal YUL
  • Picking up 02 April (Sunday) around 16:30

Any ideas what I might get assigned, and what might be available for less than $20/day upcharge?

I've read through the other upgrade log thread but most of them are PP and higher status; I'm just bog-standard Preferred.
YYZ Premium is most likely to be a Taurus or 300. Might get a Grand Cherokee if you ask and are ok with that (they're usually loaded and as good as/better than any 300/Taurus). Depending who is at the counter and what is on the lot when you arrive, you might get an option to pay for a BMW or XTS, but no clue on what the cost might be.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Reserved: Mid Sized
Flight was 2 hrs late. Sent to preferred counter. No more mid sized. Man asks me if I want a Jeep. Going to the desert so sure. It's a FWD Jeep Renegade. Not bad, but it's cartoonish. All in all more headroom than a Fusion. More fun. Wish it was 4wd.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Man asks me if I want a Jeep.
It's a FWD Jeep Renegade.
Hah, you should have asked if he meant an Opel/Fiat with a facelift. A Renegade is a poor excuse for a Jeep.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: National Emerald, Avis Preferred Plus
Reserved: Full Size (via Costco, but linked to my Avis profile)
Timing: Early April (One week rental; weekday pickup/return)

I presume I'd get something like a Fusion/Impala, or upgraded to say a Taurus if available? What could I reasonably expect/ask for?

Also, Costco allows for one free additional driver...what are the chances of asking nicely and getting a second?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hey guys, general question.

If i pickup a car from one airport, drive 8 hours to chicago and get on a flight but intend to return and drive 8 hours back. I rented the car for the entire time. Cheaper than 2 one ways. But is it possible to park the car at the avis lot so i don't have to pay parking? Despite me not actually returning it? Thx.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Stealth22
Reserved: Full Size (via Costco, but linked to my Avis profile)
Timing: Early April (One week rental; weekday pickup/return)

I presume I'd get something like a Fusion/Impala, or upgraded to say a Taurus if available? What could I reasonably expect/ask for?

Also, Costco allows for one free additional driver...what are the chances of asking nicely and getting a second?
Chance of getting a 3rd driver free: nearly zero. But asking won't hurt.

You're much more likely to get an upgrade but it depends on rental time (Friday pickup is much more likely than Monday afternoon/Tuesday/Wednesday). A reasonable upgrade would be 1 class as a PP, so maybe a Taurus.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Hey guys, general question.

If i pickup a car from one airport, drive 8 hours to chicago and get on a flight but intend to return and drive 8 hours back. I rented the car for the entire time. Cheaper than 2 one ways. But is it possible to park the car at the avis lot so i don't have to pay parking? Despite me not actually returning it? Thx.
You can ask, but I found the they'll go for it. Youre better off just going right to the short/long term lot and parking. As a CHM, I was able to do this once at ATL since I knew the manager and was only going to be gone about 4 hours (I had a Hertz car from a other location, but needed a pickup for an afternoon so I got the pickup from Avis and let the Hertz car in their lot). When I went to leave the Avis lot, the gate agent told me I couldn't leave with a non-Avis car. They got the PM manager who was very upset with me and the AM manager but eventually let me out.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:56 am

Avis status : Avis Preferred
Car type/class reserved : Minivan (Town & Country or similar)
General timing : April 29, evening (found 19:00)

I have no idea what the age of Avis vehicles tend to be, but I saw that Chrysler no longer make the Town & Country. Have Avis replaced it with Chrysler's new Pacifica, or is it likely we will get a Dodge Grand Caravan.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by shaunplym
Avis status : Avis Preferred
Car type/class reserved : Minivan (Town & Country or similar)
General timing : April 29, evening (found 19:00)

I have no idea what the age of Avis vehicles tend to be, but I saw that Chrysler no longer make the Town & Country. Have Avis replaced it with Chrysler's new Pacifica, or is it likely we will get a Dodge Grand Caravan.
The older Dodge/Chrysler are very limited in stock now. Seems most minivan are the Kia (forget the model) with some Pacificas showing up more & more. However, the Pacificas and Kiss are poorly equipped, definitely not as good as the former T&Cs were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.