FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:00 pm
1kIAH

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gdenton
Make sure you tell them that or that they are aware, usually they'll go out of their way to accomendate you to the largest SUV that they have. And since you're already renting the premium size you should be good.

IAD & DCA car rental compaines usually have a lot of SUV's (GM family especially) mostly because of the proximity to DC and the car services/organizations that utilize these vehicles. So I wouldn't worry about inventory at IAD, they'll take care of you.

Oh -- Make sure you go to the preferred booth, or that your bus driver knows to take you there and not to the main one.
So just a post-rental update:

Arrived on 9/14 to a Yukon XL 2WD w/ 21k miles. Saw an Expedition EL parked next to it, but I liked the Yukon so I took it.

Great car. Very similar to a Tahoe I had received previously.

On 9/16 arrived to the vehicle in the hotel garage to a totally flat tire. Called roadside, didn't show up for 2 hours, ended up changing the tire myself. Called Avis to see about a replacement (didn't feel comfortable driving around without a spare). Ended up going back to IAD that afternoon to swap vehicles.

They had another silver Yukon XL waiting for me, but when they went to check it out, they had a block. Apparently a recall had been put in, and due to the recall all GM SUVs were showing as unavailable. So the 3 Suburbans, Escalade, and Yukon XL was not allowed to be rented out.

They put me in a very tired looking Navigator they claimed was an upgrade (though it had 36k miles, interior was definitely well worn, and I feel like features-wise definitely lacking compared to the Yukon XL).

The biggest issue for me, was the lack of a 2nd row bench, so I could only transport 7 instead of 8. They didn't have anything else available (the Expedition EL they had, had body damage and didn't want to rent it).

Took the Navigator in the end for the remaining 2 days of my rental. Definitely didn't like it as much as the Yukon, also felt it sucked down gas wayyy faster than the Yukon.

Overall, Yukon XL was definitely the better rental, and now I know to stay away from the Lincoln until the next redesign.

Thanks for all the tips and advice posted here!