Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Maayan
C3 has multiple zones of different rates. If you're headed to the more expensive, non-boomie 2X still work. -10K easy (remember kitty?). -30K should be possible too but I didn't see any in looking briefly today with my friend Tee Gee.
Add: my other friend Esqueue did not find the -30K either.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Has anyone Noticed

F class is now available from Far South of Equator in Pacific to North of Equator for "Relatively Cheap".

Also far East South Pacific to near Indian Ocean can now be done in J class for "Cheap"

and Far North of Equator to near Equator in J can be now done for cheap.
Sun-Hungry people would die for this one.

Disappointed that IT experts did not discover and/or share this. (:-(I)

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Dec 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Also far East Pacific to near Indian Ocean can now be done in J class for "Cheap"
Hasn't this been the case from the start? But it's not any cheaper now than back then.

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
F class is now available from South of Equator to North of Equator for "Relatively Cheap".
Weren't flashy F boomies what killed the Fräulein party from C1? Let's not kill the ones that still work elsewhere. Fly J, skip the duckies...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Hasn't this been the case from the start? But it's not any cheaper now than back then.

Correct. GmK HAM remember him and miss him. So many great Germans here.

Weren't flashy F boomies what killed the Fräulein party from C1? Let's not kill the ones that still work elsewhere. Fly J, skip the duckies...

Agree - that is exactly why I am so evasive.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Dec 30, 2014 at 7:46 pm
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Might be better if we let them do the not so hard work on their own. You will find those looking for easy pickings will move on elsewhere.
I asked the question for discussion purposes, so no need to refer to me as "them".

I know I can look at the award chart (and I have) but I asked you and others here where they see (non-tricked) value in the program.

so... a normal discussion (like in other threads). Feel free to reply if you're up for it - or not.

Originally Posted by RTW1
Exactly, some promotions on some routes (normally not exactly where you want to go or the direction you need) is something quite different than "easily found".

No changes or cancellations, and certainly no late booking opportunities or one-ways either. You might earn few miles, but not anything significant. So not really the same.
Sometimes it might work, and sometimes it might not. LM can still be a decent deal even though it has gotten less attractive. Just look at the award chart and decide for yourself.
The "not easily found" can also be said for miles. With promotions, especially if you book early, I've always gotten availability on (or very near) the dates I wanted, with miles it's always a gamble.

But you have a very good point with one-ways. Indeed useful when planning more complex itineraries or RTWs. hmmm... I really want to do a RTW next year. Do I feel just a little regret for not buying some more miles? Perhaps just a little
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by hannes08
Did you had a misconnection at the last transferpoint (e.g. in MUC or FRA) or in C1?
Transfer point was in C2 to SAW.
Some of us never even got to try the duckies
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
So disappointing...

It's been so while to visit here again- sorry for guys who sent me PMs asking about tricks or boomies departing from Asia to Europe. BUT I HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO SHARE AS THEY ARE GONE.

I guess about 1-2 months have passed since I became unable to look up seat availability in those routes and even normal routes like ICN-BNE etc which had pretty enough seats for J. It seems THAI and SQ almost take their seats back.

I thought it was a sort of system problems but it is still unresolved so now I believe LM has been significantly devalued SILENTLY WITHOUT ANY NOTICES. Even these days full-paid J tickets offer pretty similar prices to redemption tickets. Look up some fares for J by MH from ICN to any of European cities or Oceanian cities... just around US$1400-1600.

It is so annoying... I think I need to use up my miles for one-way trips between ICN-Europe (75k per person!) just to save my miles in KE and OZ unless LM corrects this bloody hell.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
It's been so while to visit here again- sorry for guys who sent me PMs asking about tricks or boomies departing from Asia to Europe. BUT I HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO SHARE AS THEY ARE GONE.

I guess about 1-2 months have passed since I became unable to look up seat availability in those routes and even normal routes like ICN-BNE etc which had pretty enough seats for J. It seems THAI and SQ almost take their seats back.

I thought it was a sort of system problems but it is still unresolved so now I believe LM has been significantly devalued SILENTLY WITHOUT ANY NOTICES. Even these days full-paid J tickets offer pretty similar prices to redemption tickets. Look up some fares for J by MH from ICN to any of European cities or Oceanian cities... just around US$1400-1600.

It is so annoying... I think I need to use up my miles for one-way trips between ICN-Europe (75k per person!) just to save my miles in KE and OZ unless LM corrects this bloody hell.
I guess this is not a program for everyone. I suggest you look elsewhere, maybe USAir may be a good option for you.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:08 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Little consolation to most people on FT but there is still a lot of value in LM for Colombians that want to go to places in J where they don't need a visa and they don't want to get a Schengen visa for something like BCN FRA in the middle of their itinerary.

BOG FRA SIN is only 4000 LMs more than BOG FRA

BOG to MNL/SIN/HKG/DME are all $5500 to $7000 itineraries with one stop in FRA or FRA+HKG in the case of MNL

If you'd managed to buy the LMs at 1.5¢ each then all these itineraries are less than half the cost.

Like I said, not much consolation to most here. Just saying
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Well there do remain quite a few good deals, if your intent is to fly J for less than what paid for cash tickets on routes with decent award availability. That hasn't significantly changed. But if wanting it for MUCH less, that has changed.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: QF, LM, USDM, AA
I guess its just another program in the mix but don't think I will rush out to buy too many more anytime soon, should have about 100k miles in the account after I cancel a saw booking i had so will be looking out for ways to sue them from Oz...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
I'm not sure I understand where the discussion here has been going to for the last few weeks. We have a tug-of-war between members arguing that Lifemiles has lost its value and others arguing there still is value...
One glance at the new *A redemption chart will tell you that routes are very differently priced, also if you compare the miles needed with normal ticket prices on these routes.
Whether there is value for you or not therefore obviously depends on where you live and where you want to go to.
So can we all agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

PS I find the Avianca redemption "chart" much more consistent and "fair"

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Jan 6, 2015 at 1:20 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I guess this is not a program for everyone. I suggest you look elsewhere, maybe USAir may be a good option for you.
Well this was a prgroam for me before the devalution as I could spend LMs on some of regular routes more efficiently. And yep, USDM is still a great choice to go to Europe from Asia but this great program is scheduled to fade out in 2Q15. Now I think achieving tiers is becoming sexier by flying in J at much cheaper cost than before.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
I'm not sure I understand where the discussion here has been going to for the last few weeks. We have a tug-of-war between members arguing that Lifemiles has lost its value and others arguing there still is value...
One glance at the new *A redemption chart will tell you that routes are very differently priced, also if you compare the miles needed with normal ticket prices on these routes.
Whether there is value for you or not therefore obviously depends on where you live and where you want to go to.
So can we all agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

PS I find the Avianca redemption "chart" much more consistent and "fair"
Just want to mention or ask about one thing- why has LM begun to block even some normal routes with a single layover like ICN->BKK->BNE?. In each leg there are decent seats available (both in C and J) but LM search engine shows absolutely no availability throughout a whole year if I look it up by 'from ICN to BNE'. It is okay to correct their miscoded cities and some boomies but such a fraud is unacceptable.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
... if I look it up by 'from ICN to BNE'. It is okay to correct their miscoded cities and some boomies but such a fraud is unacceptable.
I believe it is due to married segments which has been covered here before. Does the route show up on ANA, AC or UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.