Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by baggyred
What is the process for extending lifemiles points about to expire - is it simply buying 1000 points?

I had a flight on Thai recently which I accrued to my Lifemiles FF - would that extend it?

And do lifemiles send you a reminder of being about to expire?
Any account activity. Crediting a flight, buying/transfering, donating, etc. As long as miles move in/out of the account, it extends the period.

They don't send reminders of course
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Any account activity. Crediting a flight, buying/transfering, donating, etc. As long as miles move in/out of the account, it extends the period.
False. It's any "miles accrual transaction".

As long as miles move into the account, it extends the period.
(Apart from some exceptions, such as LM bonuses and account merges.)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Hmmm, and my question still goes unanswered. Any experts here?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by veeRob
Quick question (I hope)...

I'm looking at an award ticket on United from SAN-SFO and the chart seems to imply this would be 7,500 miles RT. When I look it up online, I am seeing 9,000 RT. I did a search on FT and of the blogs and don't see any mention of this price anywhere.
The chart says 7500 miles each way. Seems like they reduce it for short distances, in a quite non-obvious way. BOS-IAD is 7000, even though it's shorter than SAN-SFO.

Originally Posted by veeRob
Hmmm, and my question still goes unanswered. Any experts here?
80k LM can be used for a $4000+ international business class fare (5+c/mile), but you're considering using 9k LM for a $163 fare (1.8c/mile). It's quite possible that there are no experts in spending LM that way.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
False. It's any "miles accrual transaction".

As long as miles move into the account, it extends the period.
(Apart from some exceptions, such as LM bonuses and account merges.)
Thanks - so my thai flight would count?

And if i then bought 1000 miles of $30USD - that would extend as well?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:06 pm

Thanks - so my thai flight would count?

And if i then bought 1000 miles of $30USD - that would extend as well?
Yes and yes. You don't need both though, once is enough.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by Kremmen
The chart says 7500 miles each way. Seems like they reduce it for short distances, in a quite non-obvious way. BOS-IAD is 7000, even though it's shorter than SAN-SFO.

80k LM can be used for a $4000+ international business class fare (5+c/mile), but you're considering using 9k LM for a $163 fare (1.8c/mile). It's quite possible that there are no experts in spending LM that way.
My mistake! I thought the chart was for roundtrip, I see now that it is one way. Good to know they just randomly discount fares without explaining how, when, or why!

Considering I'm flying within 7 days, I'm using 9k LM for a $279 fare (3.1c/mile). True, it's not the BEST use of miles, but I have a large surplus and it fits my needs.

That's for straightening me out!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:00 pm

Anyone else have an issue whereby they cancel your booking after two failed attempts at taking payment?

My CC rejected (they thought it was fraud) and now I have lost the booking - very frustrating particularly as they now say they can't do anything until the 5th Feb
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:57 pm

They announced this a month ago, why wait until last min? Also, failed transaction attempts are 99.9% because of the card issuer, not the merchant.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Now that the new Lifemiles website has rolled out and underwhelmed everyone, does anyone have a corrected set of links for the award charts? I can find shots of the old site posted around travel bloggers and archive.org, but the links in the Wiki no longer work.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by roundtree
Now that the new Lifemiles website has rolled out and underwhelmed everyone, does anyone have a corrected set of links for the award charts? I can find shots of the old site posted around travel bloggers and archive.org, but the links in the Wiki no longer work.
There are links named "Watch here" on each partner info page. The link pops up the name of the PDF rather than actually downloading the PDF, so I'll link it here.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Hiya. So I couldn't quite tell if this thread was just about the mileage programme or if airline questions could be asked as well, so apologies if this is the wrong place for this query.
I am curious if Avianca grants additional baggage for Star Gold as it would seem that they don't according to their website. If I fly from Europe, business class includes 2 bags at 32 kg a piece. According to their page on baggage allowance, Star Gold flying in business class can get 2 bags at 32 kg a piece. Just wanted to confirm that this is the case. Seems a bit cheeky.
Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Hiya. So I couldn't quite tell if this thread was just about the mileage programme or if airline questions could be asked as well, so apologies if this is the wrong place for this query.
I am curious if Avianca grants additional baggage for Star Gold as it would seem that they don't according to their website. If I fly from Europe, business class includes 2 bags at 32 kg a piece. According to their page on baggage allowance, Star Gold flying in business class can get 2 bags at 32 kg a piece. Just wanted to confirm that this is the case. Seems a bit cheeky.
Cheers.
You are entitled to one extra piece if *A Gold.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/recognitionExtra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:21 pm

Looks like along with the change to the website - we have had significant change in the Miles plus Money options

Seems a lot more expensive - so the days of only buying half the miles upfront may be gone
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:41 pm

Looks like along with the change to the website - we have had significant change in the Miles plus Money options

Seems a lot more expensive - so the days of only buying half the miles upfront may be gone
I think only when booking Avianca it got more expensive. On Star Alliance flights still possible to get the price per 1000 Miles down to $15. So I suppose either a bug or Star Alliance flights will follow soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.