Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a members account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a members account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a members account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the members account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a members duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:19 pm

Any recent DPs whether bag is included intra EU on LH group flights? Search function does me no good.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Lifemiles Star Alliance Ticketing Time

Im new to Lifemiles . I was planning to book a two segment one way on United and/or a two segment one way on Eva Air, 3-4 days prior to departure. I would be grateful for some sense of how long ticketing generally takes for Life Miles award tickets. Are there any partner carriers with whom ticketing tends to be delayed or present complications?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by zenexplorer
Im new to Lifemiles . I was planning to book a two segment one way on United and/or a two segment one way on Eva Air, 3-4 days prior to departure. I would be grateful for some sense of how long ticketing generally takes for Life Miles award tickets. Are there any partner carriers with whom ticketing tends to be delayed or present complications?
Ummm best advice if you are new is to stay away.Seriously.

The only exception would be if you have somehow accrued LM other than by buying or transferring. If you have a stash of miles go ahead and try and use them. But I wouldnt be buying or transferring in the hope of securing an award.

That said, there are generally no issues with LM issuing a ticket provided you have found availability, and can actually book it, and get to the payment screen. All three of those things can block your attempts, and can happen without notice.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Ummm best advice if you are new is to stay away.Seriously.

The only exception would be if you have somehow accrued LM other than by buying or transferring. If you have a stash of miles go ahead and try and use them. But I wouldnt be buying or transferring in the hope of securing an award.

That said, there are generally no issues with LM issuing a ticket provided you have found availability, and can actually book it, and get to the payment screen. All three of those things can block your attempts, and can happen without notice.
Thanks so much for your prompt response. I was planning to purchase a limited number of miles for a simple one way from Japan to HNL in C. Lifemiles required about 40% less miles than MileagePlus did. And lifemiles were, in turn, very inexpensive to buy. (the Mileage Plus miles were earned, but would be much more expensive to replace).

I gather from your comment that there are sometimes problems even when lifemiles shows availability, in actually purchasing the ticket? And once the ticket is purchased, is it actually generated and available to ANA or UA or other Star Alliance carrier almost immediately, or is it a manual process? If manual, is it usually completed within 24 hours?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually instant.

LM is a great program. When it works.

Sometimes availability is phantom, even if visible on other *A booking engines (and even at lowest or saver rates). Sometimes availability you see today will be withdrawn the next, and may not come back for weeks, months or even years.

Change and cancellation fees are expensive. And sometimes navigating to speak to someone at LM can be challenging. But once you get through they are usually very good (never had a bad LM agent).
Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Can't seem to find Ethiopian on the pull down selection and it doesn't show up on a search either. Anyone have any experience booking them through LM?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Can't seem to find Ethiopian on the pull down selection and it doesn't show up on a search either. Anyone have any experience booking them through LM?
Ethiopian (ET) Redemption Availability Disappeared
onlysuites likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:54 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
I just created a LifeMiles account. Is it best to wait a while before transferring miles in and trying to obtain an award ticket? If so, how much time?
I thought some programs tend to flag newly opened accounts and awards as possible fraud and I'd rather not fight that battle.
Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:06 am

Hello all - Have an economy class award ticket on Avianca (BOG - CTG). Ticket issued with UA miles.

What is the easiest way to get seat selection on Avianca? Call them?
I am not able to select seats online in this case.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson, AA, UA, AS, SQ, AF
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello all - Have an economy class award ticket on Avianca (BOG - CTG). Ticket issued with UA miles.

What is the easiest way to get seat selection on Avianca? Call them?
I am not able to select seats online in this case.
I recently booked a some flights for my family using Asiana miles to fly Avianca and I called to do our seat assignments. I also made sure I had an email confirmation noting the seat assignments.
ft4lyf likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by merice107107
I recently booked a some flights for my family using Asiana miles to fly Avianca and I called to do our seat assignments. I also made sure I had an email confirmation noting the seat assignments.
Thank you. I will try calling them.
merice107107 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:39 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Is Air Canada blocking Lifemiles access to its award inventory?

I found J award seat on FRA-YYZ flight and it shows all airlines website including UA and LH however it does not show on Lifemiles website!
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Is Air Canada blocking Lifemiles access to its award inventory?

I found J award seat on FRA-YYZ flight and it shows all airlines website including UA and LH however it does not show on Lifemiles website!
It could be LM blocking the awards, if ACs prices are too expensive?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
It could be LM blocking the awards, if ACs prices are too expensive?
I thought it's the opposite!
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Lifemiles earning questions:

1) Is the earning based on the total cash paid for a far (i.e. including all taxes and carrier charges), or are some fare components excluded for calculation?
2) Is it correct that miles transferred in from credit card transfers count as qualifying miles at a ratio of 2-1? It has been posted elsewhere that transferring 48k miles in would result in 24k qualifying miles (leaving you to just satisfy the minimum miles flown with Aviance for StarGold). Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.