Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caviack
This has been happening since the LM website outage and is still happening, should I be worried?
Been happening for months so just seems to be a bug in the system.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: QFF SG; VA WP; Accor Platinum; IHG Silver; HH Gold
I contacted LM through email about the problem and they replied with
"The redemption of First Class Tickets is not available for United Airlines. Currently, we have no agreement with the operating carrier to issue a ticket in First Class. If you try to redeem it through the website (even if it shows available spaces), it will end in the error screen you shared with us."

Is this really the case and that you can't redeem F awards with LM on UA?

This still doesn't tell me why it results in an error screen even if I look up a Y or C award on UA though...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: SQ KF
SQ J - Baggage Allowance on e-Ticket

I made a redemption for BCN-SIN on SQ in J. On the e-ticket, in the Baggage Column, it says NO, instead of 2 PC or 40KG.

Should I be worried that I won't have any checked baggage allowance?

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tshep
I made a redemption for BCN-SIN on SQ in J. On the e-ticket, in the Baggage Column, it says NO, instead of 2 PC or 40KG.

Should I be worried that I won't have any checked baggage allowance?

Thanks!
Nope. Don't worry about that. Just see what your luggage allowance is as per SQ website.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

So it seems OS is unbookable via the website.. any chance that the call center can book OS flights?

thanks
FDW
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
So it seems OS is unbookable via the website.. any chance that the call center can book OS flights?

thanks
FDW
Nope
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Anyone with recent experience about how long it takes for a Paid SQ flight to credit miles to lm? Been 9 days so far... wondering if ill need to put in a claim
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Hello all,

I've done a quick search online and can't seem to find the answer to this so I thought I'd ask here.

I bought to 2 for my folks to go to SAL from YYZ in Feb in Y. Sadly I'm not rich enough to send them in Biz class but it surprised them and they're super happy since they haven't been "home" in almost 30yrs.

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone can possibly help me with these few q's:

1) I used my LM # to get the points from their flights. Is that ok? And I hope they're not going to have any issues because of that? It wasn't a redemption. I only have about 8,000 or so from when I opened it up and took a trip to Peru and back last May.

2) Can I pay extra for them to get access to the AVIANCA lounge in SAL even if they're in Y? Not needed at YYZ, but if that's also possible, I'd be open to possibly surprising them with that!

3) I heard that AVIANCA lets you "bid" on business class upgrades like Air New Zealand and Aer Lingus. Is this true or more of an urban legend?

Much appreciated and thanks in advance!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
1) I used my LM # to get the points from their flights. Is that ok? And I hope they're not going to have any issues because of that? It wasn't a redemption. I only have about 8,000 or so from when I opened it up and took a trip to Peru and back last May.
It won't cause them any problems, but you also won't likely get any points if the name (first name and last name) on the ticket does not match yours...you can't earn points for flights if you're not flying.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
It won't cause them any problems, but you also won't likely get any points if the name (first name and last name) on the ticket does not match yours...you can't earn points for flights if you're not flying.
You can't? Damn!
I totally understand not being able to double dip to more than one airline program, but that sucks.
Ah well, at least it'll keep the account active although it doesn't expire until 2016...

I was hoping I'd get the points since I did pay for the tickets, but I guess I'll have to settle for credit card points then.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
You can't? Damn!
I totally understand not being able to double dip to more than one airline program, but that sucks.
Ah well, at least it'll keep the account active although it doesn't expire until 2016...

I was hoping I'd get the points since I did pay for the tickets, but I guess I'll have to settle for credit card points then.
Unless a program has family-sharing accounts, this is pretty regular. Even then they collect points then they can be shared after into the family account, but still goes into the passengers account.

With the LM sharing miles promos, might be worth it to take some time and set them up their own accounts, with you as manager of course, and then when there is a promo you can use those accounts to do the transfers into your account and get the bonuses.

There are lots of posts on this if you're not familiar, I'm sure you can find some detailed explanations here.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:46 pm

Hi all,

I have made a booking with LM 2 days ago and received the e-ticket from LM (PEK-xHKG-SIN with CA and SQ and SIN-PEK with SQ)
I have tried various time to Manage my booking on SQ but without success.. Any idea?

In addition, I have another flight booked and noticed that the first and last name is reversed.
The call center asked me to cancel and re-book it but no guarantee if I can book the same flight. What should I do?

Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by maverick17
Unless a program has family-sharing accounts, this is pretty regular. Even then they collect points then they can be shared after into the family account, but still goes into the passengers account.

With the LM sharing miles promos, might be worth it to take some time and set them up their own accounts, with you as manager of course, and then when there is a promo you can use those accounts to do the transfers into your account and get the bonuses.

There are lots of posts on this if you're not familiar, I'm sure you can find some detailed explanations here.
Didn't know that was possible!
I'll def look into it!

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
LM seems to offer award "sales". Are these sales published anywhere, or do you just have to get lucky like I apparently did?

For example. I just redeemed a one way RTB - SJO award. When I first searched for this a couple of weeks back, the "seats on sale" rate was 7K. However, when I went to book this a couple of days ago, it was only 6K miles. I have seen other similar examples in the past. Interestingly, other Honduras airports to SJO are at 9K, and RTB - LIR is at 13K (all for the "seats on sale" rate.) Are the awards just that variable within the same zone?

Another example. ORD - SAL or RTB (presumably other places in Central America) is currently showing for 15K miles in the "seats on sale" bucket. I believe the normal rate for this is 18K.

I was referencing the lifemiles award calculator for AV operated awards, though I'm not sure it is even particularly reliable.

Any insight is appreciated.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by maverick17

So let me get this straight, I set up an account for both my parents and I then link them somehow?
Sorry I'm just a bit confused by all this...

But when I bought the tickets though I just put in my LM# thinking I would get the points that way.
So you're saying I should be ok with changing it to another LM#? (after I set up a new account for them of course)

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.