Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Remxed
So I'm guessing the people who posted above me and successfully cancelled their flights were able to do so because the airline carrier had cancelled the ticket?
Don't call, email [email protected] or wait until there's an official policy regarding the border closure from the NZ government and use this as an opportunity to cancel with no penalty. People have been successful with this. See above:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32444520-post956.html

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
They are following protocol. Until the flight is cancelled it isn't officially cancelled.
The flight is not an issue, the closed border is.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:22 pm

Thanks, I guess I'll send an email to Lifemiles support. The border is indeed closed right now except for NZ citizens and essential workers.. although there is no definitive timeline for when it'll reopen, but I'm predicting it won't be reopened this year.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaska
Thanks, I guess I'll send an email to Lifemiles support. The border is indeed closed right now except for NZ citizens and essential workers.. although there is no definitive timeline for when it'll reopen, but I'm predicting it won't be reopened this year.

when is your flight? If it is after August 31st, you have to wait.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
when is your flight? If it is after August 31st, you have to wait.
oh why is that? Flight is late September.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: Alaska
oh why is that? Flight is late September.
so far only flights departed before end of August can be submitted for refund review.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:23 pm

Gotcha. Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
cancellation without notice

Maybe others have already posted about this. I had an award ticket booked for July 11: IAD>IST>MAD. While I was reading about the Turkish "HES" code to see if I needed to have one, I tried to pull up my booking at the Turkish website. Unable to. Went to Avianca. Notice that the flights were cancelled.

I have no idea when the flights were cancelled but I haven't received an email or phone call about it yet. I've rebooked on other carriers, but it might be a good idea to regularly check your bookings if cancellations happen without timely notification.

PS: I booked a new award rather than wait for Lifemiles support to offer me something else because there were only 2 seats available on the alternative carriers. I emailed [email protected] to say the original flights were cancelled and I'd like to request a redeposit and refund of taxes.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
Maybe others have already posted about this. I had an award ticket booked for July 11: IAD>IST>MAD. While I was reading about the Turkish "HES" code to see if I needed to have one, I tried to pull up my booking at the Turkish website. Unable to. Went to Avianca. Notice that the flights were cancelled.

I have no idea when the flights were cancelled but I haven't received an email or phone call about it yet. I've rebooked on other carriers, but it might be a good idea to regularly check your bookings if cancellations happen without timely notification.

PS: I booked a new award rather than wait for Lifemiles support to offer me something else because there were only 2 seats available on the alternative carriers. I emailed [email protected] to say the original flights were cancelled and I'd like to request a redeposit and refund of taxes.
Were the points redeposited into your account after the flights were cancelled or you have to call Lifemiles? Also did you book the new award flight through Lifemiles?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
After 3 months of waiting for taxes on award tickets to refund I finally disputed with AMEX. As posted up thread I got the miles back quickly and the refund status checker has shown as “authorized” since early April.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
update...and alert.... I had a Lifemiles award ticket US-ZRH-CDG on Swiss... flight was cancelled.

The first person I spoke with insisted I had to cancel, wait 15 days and then rebook. I am glad I insisted....

He then transferred me to the "departamento de cambios operacionales" - the operational change division. They immediately rebooked me on Lufthansa, no wait, an even exchange. Received the ticket in less than 5 minutes.

So moral of the story... if your flight is cancelled... ask for CAMBIOS OPERACIONALES :-)
asnovici and cuthroat like this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
After 3 months of waiting for taxes on award tickets to refund I finally disputed with AMEX. As posted up thread I got the miles back quickly and the refund status checker has shown as “authorized” since early April.
Same here. Tired of waiting refund from lifemiles. Have filed charge-back from AMEX as well.

Last edited by isdnman; Jul 4, 2020 at 12:49 am
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:31 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Need advice....HELP!

This is a mess and I need some advice on what to do.

I booked a one way LM ticket for the first week of August.

IST-IAD (TK) (connection) IAD-RDU (UA)

The UA flight was cancelled and UA auto booked me me on a flight that overlapped with the IST-IAD flight. That caused all sorts of issues. Somehow somewhere that caused me to show LM that I was booted off the TK flight. I got LM to move me to a UA flight the next day, but they can't re-ticket me on the TK flight.

LM told me to call TK - TK says I am still on the flight (confirmed on their website with seats assigned), but LM shows the flight cancelled and cannot re-ticket. I really do not want to cancel and wait 15 days for my miles to come back.

LM also refuses to route me through another city even when there is award availability.

I have spent hours on the phone. LM is useless, TK says they can't do anything because it isn't their ticket. I just want my TK IST-IAD flight back!!!!

Last edited by A4K; Jul 6, 2020 at 11:07 am
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by A4K
This is a mess and I need some advice on what to do.

I booked a one way LM ticket for the first week of August.

IST-IAD (TK) (connection) IAD-RDU (UA)

The UA flight was cancelled and UA auto booked me me on a flight that overlapped with the IST-IAD flight. That caused all sorts of issues. Somehow somewhere that caused me to show LM that I was booted off the TK flight. I got LM to move me to a UA flight the next day, but they can't re-ticket me on the TK flight.

LM told me to call TK - TK says I am still on the flight (confirmed on their website with seats assigned), but LM shows the flight cancelled and cannot re-ticket. I really do not want to cancel and wait 15 days for my miles to come back.

LM also refuses to route me through another city even when there is award availability.

I have spent hours on the phone. LM is useless, TK says they can't do anything because it isn't their ticket. I just want my TK IST-IAD flight back!!!!
I had a similar experience and it was resolved by a particular department called "cambios operacionales"... operational changes... they basically make exceptions. Check out my post and try that.. PM me if you need more info-happy to help.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:55 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I had a similar experience and it was resolved by a particular department called "cambios operacionales"... operational changes... they basically make exceptions. Check out my post and try that.. PM me if you need more info-happy to help.
Thanks! I spoke to them multiple times, I would say I called Avianca 20-25 times over the past 5 days. Spoke to LM, operational changes, supervisors. No one was willing to make any exceptions to the routing or do anything. Very frustrating. I gave up and I ended up cancelling the flights because I need to have something booked and need to get the LM back to do so.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Nana Lunastra
Were the points redeposited into your account after the flights were cancelled or you have to call Lifemiles? Also did you book the new award flight through Lifemiles?
very good question. I’m in a similar situation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.