Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:24 am

Award for BKK-MUC-MIA for March 16. Lufthansa cancelled the MUC-MIA flight. I finally got through to customer service and she said I need to pay the cancellation fee and apply for a refund. HUCA?

Last edited by njfan07; Mar 14, 2020 at 4:38 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
With Lifemiles there is no requirement to cancel before your flight. You can cancel anytime up to one year after the flight, for no additional penalty (ie, 'no show' doesn't mean your forfeit your points).

The call centre is probably inundated at the moment. And the LM team.

I'd fill out any online forms you can (see posts above), email LM support if you need, and sit tight.

If you need the points to book alternative travel you might be out of luck on the short term
Jaimito Cartero and njfan07 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by njfan07
Award for BKK-MUC-MIA for March 16. Lufthansa cancelled the MUC-MIA flight. I finally got through to customer service and she said I need to pay the cancellation fee and apply for a refund. HUCA?
HUCA. always structure your call. act dumb and ask if the leg you already know is cancelled is still showing as operational. They should see from the ticket that it is cancelled.
then ask for a full award cancel due to airline cancellation. in short, make the agent realize you aren't forcing a cancel due to personal reasons, rather requesting a cancel due to the airline cancellation.
njfan07 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I haven’t been able to get the Lifemiles flight redemption page this afternoon. I get an annoying vote for us Freddies award page, but not the normal redemption page I saw a day or two ago. I’ve tried Safari and Chrome browsers.
https://www.lifemiles.com/fly/find

No options to cancel online, let alone cancel via the redemption page; unclear how the statement is relevant for the cancellations of LifeMiles tickets. Other posts addressing redemptions.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I booked a business class trip on March 5 using Lifemiles a ticket on Austrian Airlines from LAX to Belgrade (via Vienna). I was supposed to fly in April but due to all the restrictions and Corona virus issues I had to cancel my trip. I used 126,000 Avianca LifeMiles. I was shocked that they were charging a $200 fee to redeposit the miles. They said they might come up with a new rule later but said if I wanted to do this I'd have to pay $200 and wouldn't get a refund later if they changed/loosened their policy. So the only other option was to cancel and accept to go within a year.

The problem is I don't know if I will go in a year as it was for a cancelled conference that might not have another one there in the future. Does anyone know if LifeMiles has loosened or waived the redeposit fees on Corona virus affected areas?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by mylifeis24
Update for anyone else having the same problem. Email [email protected], explain you want to cancel and receive a penalty-free refund due to coronavirus and the travel ban (if applicable), and include your PNR, dates, routing, names, Lifemiles number, and attach proof of the redemption. The CSR said I should hear back within 24 hours.

mylifeis24,

Did you ever hear back from them?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by saint
I booked a business class trip on March 5 using Lifemiles a ticket on Austrian Airlines from LAX to Belgrade (via Vienna). I was supposed to fly in April but due to all the restrictions and Corona virus issues I had to cancel my trip. I used 126,000 Avianca LifeMiles. I was shocked that they were charging a $200 fee to redeposit the miles. They said they might come up with a new rule later but said if I wanted to do this I'd have to pay $200 and wouldn't get a refund later if they changed/loosened their policy. So the only other option was to cancel and accept to go within a year.

The problem is I don't know if I will go in a year as it was for a cancelled conference that might not have another one there in the future. Does anyone know if LifeMiles has loosened or waived the redeposit fees on Corona virus affected areas?
The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. Unless the flight is cancelled by the airline no other options exist. Not clear why you would be shocked as the fees are posted for all to see. Not clear if you changed or cancelled or none of the above. The easy options is to pay the $200 and book a new itinerary in the future if so desired. Not clue what the future hold so paying $150 to change the flight isn't a good plan.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by saint
mylifeis24,

Did you ever hear back from them?
No indication LifeMiles will waive the cancellation fee. The quoted post isn't of much value as the reality of the situation is much different.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
My LifeMiles booked flight was cancelled yesterday by ANA. I called LifeMiles today to request my refund. After a few busy signals, I got through, followed the prompts from the wiki, spoke to the agent, who took my booking reference. He said to allow seven business days for miles and taxes to be refunded, without any cancellation fee. He then put me on hold. At this point, I was expecting to go through the PIN process, but when he came back, he gave me a case number, to be used if the refund does not show up. Total length of call was seven minutes. I'll be checking to see how long it takes.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Had a LX flight (IAD-ZRH-FCO) cancelled at some point yesterday. The flight was for early April so just going to wait it out for a couple weeks to see if the miles repost and taxes refund.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
HUCA. always structure your call. act dumb and ask if the leg you already know is cancelled is still showing as operational. They should see from the ticket that it is cancelled.
then ask for a full award cancel due to airline cancellation. in short, make the agent realize you aren't forcing a cancel due to personal reasons, rather requesting a cancel due to the airline cancellation.
So I just called back and call went through with less than 5 min wait. Agent saw that the 2nd leg of the BBK-MUC-MIA flight was cancelled and said that the process is to submit a case to waive the $200 fee usually charged for a "normal" refund. Miles and taxes paid should be refunded within 7 days. If the case wasn't approved I would have to pay the fee to get the miles redeposited.. He submitted a case and gave me a case number. No fee was required to be paid at this point. This agent's English was better than the first agent and he did a very good job of explaining the process.
JessicaTam likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:52 pm

Did you call 800-284-2622? I'm still getting an instant disconnect / User Busy error.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by voteforhe
Did you call 800-284-2622? I'm still getting an instant disconnect / User Busy error.
same here, I am desperate now. got a lot of tickets to cancel
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Mr_Tudball
My LifeMiles booked flight was cancelled yesterday by ANA. I called LifeMiles today to request my refund. After a few busy signals, I got through, followed the prompts from the wiki, spoke to the agent, who took my booking reference. He said to allow seven business days for miles and taxes to be refunded, without any cancellation fee. He then put me on hold. At this point, I was expecting to go through the PIN process, but when he came back, he gave me a case number, to be used if the refund does not show up. Total length of call was seven minutes. I'll be checking to see how long it takes.
Wow, you’re lucky. I spent over an hour on the phone this morning trying to get a booking glitch fixed, with them not able to do anything.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. Unless the flight is cancelled by the airline no other options exist. Not clear why you would be shocked as the fees are posted for all to see. Not clear if you changed or cancelled or none of the above. The easy options is to pay the $200 and book a new itinerary in the future if so desired. Not clue what the future hold so paying $150 to change the flight isn't a good plan.

Huh? This just isn't a case of buyer's remorse of me deciding not to go. This COVID-19 issue is problematic. That's why you see Airbnb allowing cancellations of anyone (host or traveler) coming/going to an affected area. There is a possibility of not even being able to get into the country or getting into the USA coming back. This definitely is a different situation vs. just deciding not to go on the trip.
5DMarkIIguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.