Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by AlphonsoMango
I emailed support to inquire about the possibility of cancelling my HKG-PVG flights around two weeks ago and they said they'll look into it. Haven't heard back from them but I see the miles back in my account and I can't pull up the itinerary on EVA Air's website anymore. I'll take that as a good sign, but how would I go about getting the taxes back since I never received any sort of notice that they were going to cancel my reservation.
Well, email them back, or call. Nobody here can refund you.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by SoniaBonia
I booked an Asiana flight through lifemiles. I called Asiana and they said they can cancel it for $30 and I would get my miles back. But I thought I had to cancel through Avianca directly and pay the $200 fee. Did I get misinformation?
Did you do it tho?
I am in the same boat, and Avianca also wants 200 fee per ticket! and we have 5 people going...
that's a big chunk of money to cancel through Avianca, wondering if Asiana worked out for you?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Rex Linhui Shi
Did you do it tho?
I am in the same boat, and Avianca also wants 200 fee per ticket! and we have 5 people going...
that's a big chunk of money to cancel through Avianca, wondering if Asiana worked out for you?
It does seem a little inflexible from LM's point of view. Asian is willing to cancel free of charge, and they can do so for tickets directly purchased from them or through a travel agency, LM isn't following suit.

I guess this is where your travel insurance might come in to cover the losses - but check with them first.

The other scenario is if Asiana cancels the flight entirely, then you'd get a full refund from LM.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
It does seem a little inflexible from LM's point of view. Asian is willing to cancel free of charge, and they can do so for tickets directly purchased from them or through a travel agency, LM isn't following suit.

I guess this is where your travel insurance might come in to cover the losses - but check with them first.

The other scenario is if Asiana cancels the flight entirely, then you'd get a full refund from LM.
The cancellation fee for Asiana is 30,000KRW (US $30), not free. The cancellation fee for LifeMiles is $200. No indication Asian is waiving the cancellation fee. No indication the flights have been cancelled. Regardless, both the airlines and the passengers would benefit from a reduction in the cancellation fees. $200 does leave a lot of people in a wait and see category; but ultimately the wait and see if a function of wait and see if the airline cancels the flight. Quite a few people have flights booked without intentions of traveling. Better to remove the passengers from the itineraries.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Feb 28, 2020 at 7:03 am
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
On what possible basis could he make an insurance claim?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by RTWFF
On what possible basis could he make an insurance claim?
There are some policies which allow you to ‘cancel for any reason’, also policies which will cover you for a ‘do not travel’ government warning. So if those are circumstances which apply to the OP, they may have the ability to claim for points not refunded by the airline.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by AlphonsoMango
I emailed support to inquire about the possibility of cancelling my HKG-PVG flights around two weeks ago and they said they'll look into it. Haven't heard back from them but I see the miles back in my account and I can't pull up the itinerary on EVA Air's website anymore. I'll take that as a good sign, but how would I go about getting the taxes back since I never received any sort of notice that they were going to cancel my reservation.
What is the e-mail address you contacted?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
For reference, I completed the online form on Avianca dot com to request a refund for award travel. The policy is to process award travel cancellations with a phone call but customer service may conclude simply cancelling the ticket and refunding the miles would be easier than a 3 hour phone call. The process requests the ticket # and does appear to validate the ticket #. The trip is mid March and to Bali. Work informed me I was welcome to travel internationally but a two week quarantine wouldn't be out of the question after returning from international travel. Not a good time to travel to Bali regardless. Expect an update one way or another. I do with LifeMiles would reduce the cancellation fees for the interim as I don't think there is much speculative bookings at the moment.

Update. Five days and counting the online attempt to cancel proved to be fruitless. Called to cancel. The Wiki is helpful. The itinerary ceased to exist end of call. The miles were not immediately refunded and the credit card was not immediately charged. The flight is in five days so waiting a few days more wouldn't be a good idea. The phone was answered immediately and the customer service representative was friendly. Work told me I was welcome to travel internationally but I would not be permitted to return to work without a two week quarantine so pointless to travel.

Update. The phone cancellation process was a 15-20 minute process. The itinerary was cancelled end. The credit card was charged $200 and the miles were returned a few hours later. No clue as to the status of the taxes and fees.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Mar 7, 2020 at 5:24 am
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
For reference, I completed the online form on Avianca dot com to request a refund for award travel. The policy is to process award travel cancellations with a phone call but customer service may conclude simply cancelling the ticket and refunding the miles would be easier than a 3 hour phone call. The process requests the ticket # and does appear to validate the ticket #. The trip is mid March and to Bali. Work informed me I was welcome to travel internationally but a two week quarantine wouldn't be out of the question after returning from international travel. Not a good time to travel to Bali regardless. Expect an update one way or another. I do with LifeMiles would reduce the cancellation fees for the interim as I don't think there is much speculative bookings at the moment.
waiting for you DP..
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:18 pm

LifeMiles = BadMiles

for these reason I don't buy LifeMiles anymore
Unpopular Destinations
Too Expensive
Lengthy journeys
Terrible website
No support at all
choosing One-Way for half the price used to be a benefit
many airlines offer this now too
I used to buy LifeMiles when ever there was a good promotion
and shared with friends and family
I guess they got to greedy

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Great. Make sure you go around telling as many people about this. Less people that come to LM the better for the rest of us.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by macssam
for these reason I don't buy LifeMiles anymore
Unpopular Destinations
Too Expensive
Lengthy journeys
Terrible website
No support at all
choosing One-Way for half the price used to be a benefit
many airlines offer this now too
I used to buy LifeMiles when ever there was a good promotion
and shared with friends and family
I guess they got to greedy
share the word! please share the word how terrible it is!
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:43 am

Any policy changes to Lifemile changes due to Coronavirus?

We want to change our Lifemiles booking to Cartagena as we don't want to wait unit our flight on the 20th due to Coronavirus situation. Any changes to the change policy? We canceled tickets on Amtrack and there was a fee involved to get an evoucher but when I mentioned concerns about Corona virus the agent gave us a full refund.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Seablock
We want to change our Lifemiles booking to Cartagena as we don't want to wait unit our flight on the 20th due to Coronavirus situation. Any changes to the change policy? We canceled tickets on Amtrack and there was a fee involved to get an evoucher but when I mentioned concerns about Corona virus the agent gave us a full refund.
that’s amtrack
this is lifemiles. Different species.
there is no such waiver unless the carrier airline cancels your specific flight.
i doubt that’s happening in South America.
where are you flying from to go to Cartagena?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:17 pm

JFK to ICN on ASIANA, fly by Mar 9, and booked on Feb 1, and Travel waiver only apply to Jan 31, FML..

HUCA and emailed Lifemile support, 1 day past is 1 day past, gotta pay 200 per ticket.

Just decided not to show up and do nothing, may eventually have to pay 150 later to just change the travel date.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:11 am

Booked an F ticket for Lufthansa via Lifemiles. Lufthansa schedule change resulted in an equipment swap that does not have an F cabin. So I called to cancel and was told that it would take up to 7 business days for the miles to be redeposited. The flight is scheduled for Saturday. I'm really hoping that they redeposit sooner, ideally by Thursday, so I can book a new award ticket for Saturday, but given the wave of cornavirus cancellations they have received, I am pessimistic. Now I'll likely have 175K Lifemiles sitting in an account with no planned use.
gil123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.