Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Reschedule = Voluntary change of departure and arrival dates/times/flights = Change fee of 150 USD, not 200.
You would need to find the award space first before the change can go through.
Absolutely change of departure airport or arrival airport is allowed.
So I tried changing the departure city from BOS to JFK and they categorically said it was not possible. Ended up cancelling the ticket (for free because there was a schedule change by Lufthansa) and am not so patiently waiting for the miles to redeposit so I can book the new flight that departs this Saturday.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Seablock
We want to change our Lifemiles booking to Cartagena as we don't want to wait unit our flight on the 20th due to Coronavirus situation. Any changes to the change policy? We canceled tickets on Amtrack and there was a fee involved to get an evoucher but when I mentioned concerns about Corona virus the agent gave us a full refund.
Hi, does anyone have any information about this? Just wrote a message to LifeMiles to see whether they are planning to put in place some sort of waiver, will keep you posted.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, does anyone have any information about this? Just wrote a message to LifeMiles to see whether they are planning to put in place some sort of waiver, will keep you posted.
there is no such waiver unless the carrier airline cancels your specific flight.
i doubt that’s happening in South America.
where are you flying from to go to Cartagena?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:25 pm

Completely different itinerary, nothing to do with South America!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:03 pm

Update from my earlier post. Miles were redeposited in 9 hours and I was able to rebook on Lufthansa F!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by mylifeis24
Update from my earlier post. Miles were redeposited in 9 hours and I was able to rebook on Lufthansa F!
Hope is not on the grounded 380s
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:59 am

Nope--747!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:27 pm

Hi,
I wrote to LifeMiles to check about the change/ cancellation fee waivers on award tickets and they referred me to Avianca's website. The site does talk about a waiver for ticket changes but nothing on reimbursements, anyone has any experience on this? Itinerary is for Canada > Lisbon. Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
I wrote to LifeMiles to check about the change/ cancellation fee waivers on award tickets and they referred me to Avianca's website. The site does talk about a waiver for ticket changes but nothing on reimbursements, anyone has any experience on this? Itinerary is for Canada > Lisbon. Thanks
the avianca website only refers to the scope of flights operated by Avianca, or Avianca code shares (avianca flight numbers operated by avianca partners).
In short, unless your Canada (where?) to Lisbon flight falls within this, then the waivers on avianca website do not apply.
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the cancel fee and tell yourself it is your own "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying your ticket as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.

via Avianca in code share or interline agreement, or until March 10, 2020 with travel date between March 1 and March 31 with origin or destination to any of the international routes operated by Avianca.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:54 am

Have to cancel my flight on Lufthansa booked via Lifemiles departing Saturday. The call center number is not working. Anyone have any helpful advice? What happens if I cannot reach Avianca to cancel before the flight?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:32 am

Have to cancel my flight on Lufthansa booked via Lifemiles departing Saturday. The call center number is not working. Anyone have any helpful advice? What happens if I cannot reach Avianca to cancel before the flight?
Update for anyone else having the same problem. Email [email protected], explain you want to cancel and receive a penalty-free refund due to coronavirus and the travel ban (if applicable), and include your PNR, dates, routing, names, Lifemiles number, and attach proof of the redemption. The CSR said I should hear back within 24 hours.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Update for anyone else having the same problem. Email [email protected], explain you want to cancel and receive a penalty-free refund due to coronavirus and the travel ban (if applicable), and include your PNR, dates, routing, names, Lifemiles number, and attach proof of the redemption. The CSR said I should hear back within 24 hours.
The cancellation fee is $200, virus or no virus. Unless the flight is cancelled by the airlines the fee to cancel the itinerary is $200. Just because you sent an email to customer service doesn't mean you aren't going to need to pay the fee. Best guess the miles will not be reinstated until you pay the fee.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:02 am

Lufthansa cancelled all segments for my upcoming flight early next week. Cannot reach lifemiles to cancel and refund. Emailed them yesterday but didn't hear back. What else can I do?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:26 pm

I've been trying to call Lifemiles every hour for a few days now, no luck. I got into their chat queue, and they were only able to direct me to the refund request page:

>>> Karla : OK, if you need to make the refund request you only need to fill the online form in avianca.com/us/en/can-we-help-you/on-line-solutions/refunds/

She was not able to answer any other questions, so I've just filled out the form and will hope for the best.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I haven’t been able to get the Lifemiles flight redemption page this afternoon. I get an annoying vote for us Freddies award page, but not the normal redemption page I saw a day or two ago. I’ve tried Safari and Chrome browsers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.