Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been superseded by the thread entitled LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0. Please follow the discussion there.

Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: buying the max (60%) isn't always the best deal (unless you're purchasing all miles right there). Check here for the best CPM.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by extremeromance
So if I book something from Us to fra to X city and drop the last segment and deplane in Fra will I get in any trouble?
Not so long as you don't check bags. Short-checking, while often possible, requires contact with a check-in agent. The less contact with brains, the longer this ridiculous stretching will last for all of us.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Maayan
Not so long as you don't check bags. Short-checking, while often possible, requires contact with a check-in agent. The less contact with brains, the longer this ridiculous stretching will last for all of us.
Check-in agents really care? Their job is to verify your docs, print a BP, wrap a tag on your luggage and off you go. Next.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Can anyone share any tips on miles-optimized routes from C2 to TYO in C?

Already see that the fruit basket will bring me back...
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Check-in agents really care? Their job is to verify your docs, print a BP, wrap a tag on your luggage and off you go. Next.
Yep. Don't ask me why but they do. A friend was recently denied short check at EWR for a CDG stop. They even called a manager. Was told that only LM can cancel the last segment. YMMV but I am sure this was a one off.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
When using the website search, does it make any difference if you select the time of departure instead of just the date?

I've seen it mentioned somehwere that it does but not sure what the difference would be. Maybe some routes are found that otherwise wouldn't be?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:56 pm

In my experience it does. sometimes you can get a more interesting routing by selecting the time of departure accordingly. There is a great post on how to force other times of departure than the default ones in this thread.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:24 am

so you would find a suitable time of departure based on the carrier you are interested in?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by paarlman
In my experience it does. sometimes you can get a more interesting routing by selecting the time of departure accordingly. There is a great post on how to force other times of departure than the default ones in this thread.
I would love to see a non tricked example of this.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by zagy
When using the website search, does it make any difference if you select the time of departure instead of just the date?

I've seen it mentioned somehwere that it does but not sure what the difference would be. Maybe some routes are found that otherwise wouldn't be?
I've recently played around an awful lot with flight search engines, both on airline portals, kayaks, negotiators, matrices, as well as on frequent flyer tools.

I've observed that any change of parameters (spec. narrowing down a search) will result in different routes (and sometimes far more favourable prices) being shown.

in one case that I flew in December with Lifemiles, a narrower search (e.g. airline or time of departure selection) gave me availability that the wider search didn't show.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that there are so many routes available that no system can search them exhaustively, and different parameters will influence the search sequence, which will create different cut off points.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
I would love to see a non tricked example of this.
I've managed to book C2-C1 'the long way round' at the same mileage cost by selecting specific departure times.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:55 am

when did this thread become so active? eek
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paarlman
I've managed to book C2-C1 'the long way round' at the same mileage cost by selecting specific departure times.
Hi paarlman Which class was the C2-C1? Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
when did this thread become so active? eek
When UA announced the slaughter.

And when you updated your sig last time
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:10 am

Also, let me just tabulate what has been going on the past #1167 posts:

LM is buggy, there are tricked routes for:
C1-C2 I can think of 2+ city pairs, two types of routings premium AND eco
C2-C1 I can think of 3+ city pairs, three types of routings, all premium/eco
C1-C3 4+ city pairs, two types (also one dead), two eco only, two premium and eco
C3-C1 2+ city pairs, premium and eco
C2-C3 2+ city pairs, premium and eco, two types
C3-C2 2+ city pairs, premium and eco, two types
C5-C2 1(+?) city pair, one type only? premium and eco
C6-C1 2 city pairs, eco only
C1-C6 1 city pair, eco only
C6-C3 2+ city pairs, premium and eco, two type, one eco one premium and eco

of course if you take the same places and leave from c2 instead of c1, you trick it as well but discount is not as much. so not really interested in those. would love tips on getting discount on c1-c4/c5, if that even exists.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
Hi paarlman Which class was the C2-C1? Thanks
in C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.