Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Avianca Award Flights - Not flying is cheaper than buying miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Avianca Award Flights - Not flying is cheaper than buying miles

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 5:23 am

I booked 2 tickets using miles+cash last night. As soon as I completed the booking realized that I accidentally booked the wrong date. Called the number from OPs post got through to an agent in a few minutes. Was told that they can't fix my mistake, that I'd have to cancel and book a new ticket. Luckily I had more miles in my account not to have to worry about waiting for the re-deposit to appear.

Was placed on hold for a couple of minutes. Agent returned to tell me that I was speaking to Avianca and needed to call Taca. At least that's what it sounded like what she said. The number I was told to call was 800-400-8222

Called that number and again got through within minutes. Agent basically said only thing I can do was cancel. Among other things verified the exact amount that I paid in cash for the flight. I was never placed on any automated system to enter pin or CC details only things verified were date of birth, flight details and amount paid. Was told ticket would be cancelled within a few hours. I am no longer able to look up the PNR on LH.com while I was able to look it up shortly after booking along with etickets. I also see both a pending charge and pending refund for same amount on my credit card. I was never told anything about a cancellation fee and not sure how they would charge me for that now. Maybe I got lucky and won't get charged that fee.
Old May 13, 2013, 6:26 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
hey guys,

any thoughts whether automated cancelling with 24/48 hours from a flight is a safe option? has it taken longer for you all to ever get the cancellation notice?
Old May 15, 2013, 8:23 pm

Just called to cancel a ticket (not for points, actually needed to cancel). The call took exactly 20 minutes but thankfully the rep spoke very good english compared to what I've read about. I can see how it would be extremely painful if the person didn't speak english well. I'll try to remember to post again about my refund details.

Edit: Btw...I was told I'd receive my miles back within 72 hours.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:13 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Cancelled 16 tickets (5 Reservations) in 20 minutes total. Rep spoke good English and you only have to punch your CC number once.

Also was told 72 hours for miles refund and 3 months for taxes.

Flight is in less than 48 hours, so keeping fingers crossed for no issues.

PS: Please have the bank's number from the back of your card. Its the only thing I don't know cold and I had to fumble when the agent asked me to confirm that.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:40 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Received confirmations of all cancellations within 2-3 hours.
Old May 18, 2013, 2:19 am

Followed the steps and everything worked out well. Booked a ticket early in the morning, cancelled later in the evening. Rep was nice and helpful. Got my receipt soon after, and it took about 48 hours for miles to show up in my account.
Old May 18, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, Lifemiles 1.5M, UAL, Marriott Plat.
Email for Expediting LM re-deposit

Hello. Here are two emails that have helped me to get LM re-deposited
in just a couple of hours (sometimes longer but usually within same day)
. Include PNR as well as LM # in Subject along with "re-deposit Status"

Members: [email protected]
Elite Members: [email protected]

Hope it helps
Old May 23, 2013, 4:41 am

I cancelled a ticket at the taca city office in cuzco.
It tooks me 1 1/2 hour for this. Because i tried to cancel this ticket before over the phone, but failed.
The office agent had to call the official CC and ask for help.
But finally it was working. The Miles refunded immediately and the taxes 3 days later.
But my Ticket is still there , only the last segment is dropped.

Cost was 59$ because of Peruvian Taxes.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
with the devaluation in purchased miles I wonder if this still posts cheaper than the .0156 cpm that it costs for cash and miles?
Old May 26, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by jason53
with the devaluation in purchased miles I wonder if this still posts cheaper than the .0156 cpm that it costs for cash and miles?
Why would it? I guess it still gives you back the miles instead of the cash you paid, but at the 0.156 cpm rate ( or 0.15 cpm if you bought miles at the 'sweet spot')
Old May 29, 2013, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
How long should I wait for taxes to be refunded before emailing them?
Old May 29, 2013, 11:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They quote upto 3 months, mine took about 6 weeks.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RTW1
They quote upto 3 months, mine took about 6 weeks.
Automatically or did you have to remind them?
Old May 29, 2013, 11:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

No reminder needed. Flight was cancelled immediatly (no e-mail though), miles took 3 days and the taxes 6 weeks.
Old May 29, 2013, 1:49 pm

Could you clarify if buying miles at 1:1 bonus promotion is cheaper or buying them with cash and miles option is cheaper with the devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.