Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
(In the photo in post 37, the seat back is raised somewhat, but I'm not sure why. Look at the photos on their website. The footrest is up at 180 degrees, not down at 160 as in the angled seats.
Because that is the real truth, it can't recline more than that. Even in the website look at the second photo, it is raised at a 20 degrees angle if you look closely.

If you have flown other airlines F, like SQ, CX, NH, UA and compare to the OZ new F, you know that OZ new F is not 180 degrees flat.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 28, 2009 at 2:35 pm
Old Jun 28, 2009, 2:36 pm

I've been on several OZ F flights in the 744 with the new seats. The seats are flat -- 180 degrees. They are not angled flat like the business class seats. (In the photo in post 37, the seat back is raised somewhat, but I'm not sure why. Mine have reclined fully. Look at the photos on their website. The footrest is up at 180 degrees, not down at 160 as in the angled seats.
1. The first two photos of the "flat" F seat shown on the link from your post is the 772ER F product, not the 744 F product. The 744 F product has the large armrest that has a cup holder, whereas the first two photos on the web link only has the slim armrest - hence they are the 772ER F seats.

2. I made sure the seat was fully reclined before taking the photo so I'm certain that the seat is fully reclined. Because I thought it was very strange for the seats not to be 180-flat, I doubly made sure it was fully reclined. It's not as steep a recline as the angled-flat seats, but it's definitely not 180-flat.

They might have updated the 744 seats in the meantime, but the seat that I took the photo of was definitely not 180-flat.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold

They might have updated the 744 seats in the meantime, but the seat that I took the photo of was definitely not 180-flat.
Thank you, and no, they didn't update the seats, it is what it is, I can't sleep at all at that seat just because it is slightly raised.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
I've been on several OZ F flights in the 744 with the new seats. The seats are flat -- 180 degrees. They are not angled flat like the business class seats. (In the photo in post 37, the seat back is raised somewhat, but I'm not sure why. Mine have reclined fully. Look at the photos on their website. The footrest is up at 180 degrees, not down at 160 as in the angled seats.
The footrest is not the only basis to declare that the seat is flat for the head rest is still angled. A 180 degree flat bed must be flat all through out. Unfortunately, I am booked on the JFK-ICN OZ flight next year. I hope an F on SQ or NH will open up before my flight on April 15.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
If you have flown other airlines F, like SQ, CX, NH, UA and compare to the OZ new F, you know that OZ new F is not 180 degrees flat.
Exactly.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:13 pm

Just one more thing:

Taken from the OZ website.

In Korean, it says "bed-style seat with nearly horizontal recline".

It's so very strange for them to have gone from the old-style seats which did recline 180-degrees horizontal, to the new-style seats that do not go down fully.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Ok so to get this right from ICN to LAX 95% of the time the 744 is a new config right? I can see why people would complain that the new config is NOT 100% lie flat...but I still would take that over the old F anyday.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rkaradi
Ok so to get this right from ICN to LAX 95% of the time the 744 is a new config right? I can see why people would complain that the new config is NOT 100% lie flat...but I still would take that over the old F anyday.
I've been in this new 744 F seat, on this route and others, multiple times. It IS 100% lie flat.

The debate seems to be about the similar seats being installed in the 772ERs.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:45 pm

I've been in this new 744 F seat, on this route and others, multiple times. It IS 100% lie flat.

The debate seems to be about the similar seats being installed in the 772ERs.
I hope to be able to settle this discussion once and for all, when I fly on the new 744 on LAX-ICN next week. I'm flying in C this time, but I will quickly enter the F cabin on my way out of the aircraft and take another picture.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I hope to be able to settle this discussion once and for all. . .
From my perspective, as far as the 744 is concerned, it is settled. I've flown it in F, multiple times. I've slept on it -- it's flat.

I feel like Christopher Columbus: 'It's flat. I promise you, it is flat!'
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:13 am

From my perspective, as far as the 744 is concerned, it is settled. I've flown it in F, multiple times. I've slept on it -- it's flat.

As do I: 'It's almost flat. I promise you, it's almost flat!'

Which is why I'm looking forward to the opportunity to examine the seat in great detail once more, keeping in mind the two Christopher Columbuses saying opposite things
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:06 am

As do I: 'It's almost flat. I promise you, it's almost flat!'

Which is why I'm looking forward to the opportunity to examine the seat in great detail once more, keeping in mind the two Christopher Columbuses saying opposite things
Don't forget that the nose-up angle on a 747 at cruising speed is about 3-4 degrees.

This would compensate for the slight seat angle and make the bed level while in flight.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
It is almost flat. I just got off the 747 new F yesterday and noticed myself that the back of the seat doesn't quite go flat. This is somewhat similar to the LH F seat where the back is slightly inclined also.

Is it a "flat bed", yes, by most peoples opinions. If you brought a protractor, would it be 180 degrees? No. As a back sleeper you would be fine, but as a side sleeper, this is a little uncomfortable.

I was actually quite surprised it didn't go completely flat. I asked the FA and she confirmed that I had the seat as flat as it goes, by using the bed button. I even tried another seat thinking mine might be defective, but it was the same.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macabus
Don't forget that the nose-up angle on a 747 at cruising speed is about 3-4 degrees.

This would compensate for the slight seat angle and make the bed level while in flight.
There is nothing related to a nose up angle on a 747 at cruising speed. We have flown frequently, and many of us had flown many airlines F, so we are not dumb, we have a very good comparison, OZ is not my and others F experience.

I have flown CX old F, SQ old F, UA old F, NH new F, can draw a conclusion OZ new F is not 180 degrees flat, regardless of 747 or 777. However, try the only 74E left with OZ in the old F, it IS however 180 degrees flat.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:01 am

I did take the LAX-ICN 747 flight in C (thankfully on the new seats) but didn't get round to looking around the F cabin. But qasr's post is good enough corrobation anyway.

PS. ORDnHKG: Look who was on my flight

This flight was simply one of the best flights in C that I have ever taken. Outstanding service all the way. Really, really good. The girls were all very attentive, warm and gracious. And really good to chat to - when I complimented them on the service towards the end of the flight, they really seemed so touched by it.

Non-Korean food was not the best, but someone in row 9 requested the Chateau Smith Haut-Lafitte from F and I drank about half of that bottle - wonderful wine probably helped with the enjoyment factor as well.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PS. ORDnHKG: Look who was on my flight
Good to know you remember the photo in my trip report.

So did Ms. Kweon stay as F purser for your flight ? Or she served in C ?

Ever mentioned to her one of the pax on her flight 6 months ago took a photo with her and post it online ?

Btw, I found the pic that I took with her when I was on the F flight back in 2005 as well. Whenever I fly OZ in the future, I will defiantely carry my photos and show it to her if she is on my flight again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.