Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by gbsfo
Can someone confirm that when swaps for the old config 747 occur, they only happen on the ICN-LAX and vv route. If I choose to depart ex-JFK am I assured new config even though it is operated by a 744 too? Is this something to do with range of the old aircraft?
For now, it is safe to say JFK-ICN get the 744 pax, but when the nex schedule comes JFK goes daily, who knows what is going to happen. As there are only 2 747 and 2 74M, LAX requires 2, and JFK requires 2, which left the 74M as spare. When one of those go on check, the 74M with old seats is very likely to substitute.

There is nothing to do with range. ORD used to use 74M as well before the 3 class 777 comes, and JFK is not that much further than ORD. It is about loads and freight.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
For my flight ICN-LAX flight it was because the cabin was full. Once a seat became open, I could see the seatmap.
An update to this: Either all the other passengers in the F cabin changed their plans the day before departure, on my two consecutive flights on Monday, or more likely, it appears, OZ blocks a ton of seats on the F seat map.

Flying SHA-ICN, in a 74E, my traveling companion and I were the only two passengers in the F cabin.

Then, connecting ICN-LAX -- same thing. Just the two of us, and three deadheading crew members in F.

In both cases, up until online check-in, there was no flexibility to move seats. At the airport, we could have whatever we wanted.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
They have long done with the reconfiguration with only 5 747 left in the fleet. 2 747 pax, 2 747 combi, one 747 combi still left with the old seat usually use for HKG run, occasionally for LAX.
For my SHA-ICN flight on Monday, I was scheduled to fly a 74E (combi) and the seat map showed the old configuration of F seats up to, and including, online check-in.

At the airport, however, I was given a different seat when I checked my bag. The plane had been changed to a 74E with the new configuration of F (the suites).
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:21 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
it appears, OZ blocks a ton of seats on the F seat map.
In C also. I've booked several trips months in advance and am extremely limited in my seat selection then, but often in reality the passengers in the cabin are vastly different than the available seats. Perhaps they don't want their competition being able to look at the number of empty seats and by that determine what sort of loads they're getting. The same reason I suppose why availability for each booking class is always limited to a very low number, regardless of the actual availability.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Same in my recent experience (3 74E flights between HKG & ICN).
Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:06 am

For my SHA-ICN flight on Monday, I was scheduled to fly a 74E (combi) and the seat map showed the old configuration of F seats up to, and including, online check-in.

At the airport, however, I was given a different seat when I checked my bag. The plane had been changed to a 74E with the new configuration of F (the suites).
I had the exact same thing happen last month, except I was the only person in F from PVG-ICN.

Also, the 747E (new F) from PVG-ICN was the same plane that continued to LAX with 3 pax.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:58 am

I flew on the new F seats on ICN-NRT recently and I was surprised that the seat does not go horizontal flat - it's nearly there, but the seat still retains a slight "Z-shape" even when fully reclined.

I wonder why they designed it this way? (I made sure I fully reclined the seat with "bed mode" before taking the pic so it's definitely as far back as it goes)

Compare this to the NH F seat:

This one definitely goes full flat. I didn't have time to try to sleep properly on the OZ F seat but I slept solidly for 8 hours on the NH F seat.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by stargold
I flew on the new F seats on ICN-NRT recently and I was surprised that the seat does not go horizontal flat - it's nearly there, but the seat still retains a slight "Z-shape" even when fully reclined.

I wonder why they designed it this way? (I made sure I fully reclined the seat with "bed mode" before taking the pic so it's definitely as far back as it goes)

Compare this to the NH F seat:

This one definitely goes full flat. I didn't have time to try to sleep properly on the OZ F seat but I slept solidly for 8 hours on the NH F seat.
There's no question that NH's F seat is vastly superior to OZ.

I also don't like the fact that OZ's tray table doesn't move out of the way when you get out of your seat. I alway have to wiggle and squirm through the small gap between the table and armrest.

Poor design IMO.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other than the F seats doesn't goes flat, the armrest is not electronic go down with the seat like NH F, something remind me of old UA F.

The new OZ F seat is far better than the old one, but behind the competitors current F seat.
Old May 3, 2009, 9:45 am

it looks like Asiana just changed the 2nd evening ICN-LAX on 04 May (just this day ) to a B747Combi (cause i'm on that flight)..... Hope there are some new configs going around...
Old May 21, 2009, 11:31 pm

Bit of a late post here, but I'm leaving on OZ 201 this saturday (5/23) in Y. My itinerary shows that I have seats 22A and 22B, the AC shows Boeing 747 which I interpret as 744/PAX and not the 74E/Combi, flightstatus.com also shows it as being a 747PAX. Both Asiana's seat map and seatguru show it as being in C. Am I lucky? or are both the maps just old? What are the chances I get swapped with the old 74E?

My first post here, hope I got the lingo right .

Edit: It actually shows me as being as 'V'

Last edited by jtkellertx; May 21, 2009 at 11:40 pm
Old May 21, 2009, 11:44 pm

Welcome to FT, jtkellertx!

If your Y seats are 22 A&B, my money is on your flying a 74E Combi. As you can see from this seatmap, they're Y seats. Unlikely that you've been upgraded.

Go online and join the Asiana frequent flyer program. Then, with your confirmation code, you should be able to pull up the actual seat map for your flight on their system. (I think it works for Y, though I've honestly never flown OZ in Y.)
Old May 22, 2009, 12:08 am

Heh, I did see that but just thought it was weird how every flight status site I've checked showed it as a 747 Passenger.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
I'm booked on a Star Alliance business class reward flight, for November 2009 HKG-ICN-KIX.

For OZ724 HKG-ICN, I have seats 2J, 2K. I've phoned and reconfirmed seats.

If I understand correctly, I'm probably on the 'dark' 74M, but in first? Does this make sense?

If there's an equipment change to a refurbished 74M, will I get booted upstairs?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AC340-541
I'm booked on a Star Alliance business class reward flight, for November 2009 HKG-ICN-KIX.

For OZ724 HKG-ICN, I have seats 2J, 2K. I've phoned and reconfirmed seats.

If I understand correctly, I'm probably on the 'dark' 74M, but in first? Does this make sense?

If there's an equipment change to a refurbished 74M, will I get booted upstairs?

Thanks in advance.
Correct, first on old combi is 2+2.

More than likely not, there are more chance for the day time OZ 722 switch to new one as the yield is much better than the redeye. The redeye usually is filled with tourist groups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.