Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question

Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card

Hi there,

I am considering two different Asiana flights from HKG-ICN, flight 724 on a 74E which shows (on ANA) as not even having first class, or flight 722 on a 747 which has a full three classes of service. I am on a first class award continuing to LAX on Asiana in full 3 class first, so I would prefer the 747 flight. However, the 74E flight works much better schedule-wise.

Question. Seat Guru shows the 74E as a 3 class plane. Is it possible that for this red eye Asiana is selling the 3 class as a 2 class? If so, does anyone have any idea of how they allocate the first class seats? Specifically, do you know, if I book a first class ticket HKG-ICN-LAX, and this is 3 class sold as 2, can I sit in the first class seating area?

If this was true I would definitely take the 74E. Searched all over FT and Google and could not find any help on this one.

Anyone know? Thanks! ^
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Not to hijack this thread...but I've been meaning to ask...on the reconfigured 74E, I can't find a seatmap anywhere, is there any C class on the lower deck, or upstairs only?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Not to hijack this thread...but I've been meaning to ask...on the reconfigured 74E, I can't find a seatmap anywhere, is there any C class on the lower deck, or upstairs only?
[Here you go. C is upstairs only. F in the nose and the rest is Y.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
[Here you go. C is upstairs only. F in the nose and the rest is Y.
Thanks, but that's old config. And thus my question.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by thesilb
Hi there,

I am considering two different Asiana flights from HKG-ICN, flight 724 on a 74E which shows (on ANA) as not even having first class, or flight 722 on a 747 which has a full three classes of service. I am on a first class award continuing to LAX on Asiana in full 3 class first, so I would prefer the 747 flight. However, the 74E flight works much better schedule-wise.

Question. Seat Guru shows the 74E as a 3 class plane. Is it possible that for this red eye Asiana is selling the 3 class as a 2 class? If so, does anyone have any idea of how they allocate the first class seats? Specifically, do you know, if I book a first class ticket HKG-ICN-LAX, and this is 3 class sold as 2, can I sit in the first class seating area?

If this was true I would definitely take the 74E. Searched all over FT and Google and could not find any help on this one.

Anyone know? Thanks! ^

I am on a OZ 74E SHA-ICN in about 10 days. I'm booked in F, with a seat assignment in row 2 in the nose. The online seat assignment tool on Asiana's website shows the three classes. For my flight, the ANA tool also shows the flight with all three classes.

So, it seems to me that if you end up being booked in C, you'll probably end up there -- in the upper deck.

P.S. There is an Asiana forum, so you might find more there.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I was on OZ724 last week. It showed in schedule as 74E sold as 2-class. Actual a/c was 747 combi with business class in the nose, no F seats.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:47 pm

Thanks, but that's old config. And thus my question.
Where have you read/heard that these have been reconfigured? Per my response to the question above, I'm booked on one in about 10 days and the seatmap on Asiana's website matches the Seat Guru map exactly.

I'm not even sure Asiana has finished retrofitting their 744's, have they already moved on to 74E's?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I was on OZ724 last week. It showed in schedule as 74E sold as 2-class. Actual a/c was 747 combi with business class in the nose, no F seats.
Thanks much. So I guess its probably that configuration, and SeatGuru just lacks that printout. I wonder if all of these are being upgraded eventually to the new 74E config shown on Seat Guru? My travel dates are March, 2010. Its only a 3 hour flight. Maybe I'll grab the 74E redeye that works withmy schedule and roll the dice that there will be F by then and I can re-ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I wouldn't count on a specific a/c type. I'm on the same flight again next week and it is 767 (currently, it showed as 744 in the schedule when I booked).
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by thesilb
Maybe I'll grab the 74E redeye that works withmy schedule and roll the dice that there will be F by then and I can re-ticket.
So is the reconfiguration of the 74E Combi to add F seats, or remove them?

Kiwi Flyer, were you on a newly reconfigured aircraft, with their new business class seats?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

The business seats didn't look like that.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:01 pm

Where have you read/heard that these have been reconfigured? Per my response to the question above, I'm booked on one in about 10 days and the seatmap on Asiana's website matches the Seat Guru map exactly.

I'm not even sure Asiana has finished retrofitting their 744's, have they already moved on to 74E's?
Reading around the OZ forum, it seems all the 74Es are reconfigured to the new products, ie the one linked above, except for one roaming around Asia. I know someone booked on a 74E from ICN-LAX next week, who will throw an absolute fit (correctly so) if they don't get the new cabin products.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:03 pm

More appropriate on the OZ forum

I will be moving this to the OZ forum, as it is more appropriate there.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:19 pm

Reading around the OZ forum, it seems all the 74Es are reconfigured to the new products, ie the one linked above, except for one roaming around Asia. I know someone booked on a 74E from ICN-LAX next week, who will throw an absolute fit (correctly so) if they don't get the new cabin products.
Does anyone know -- are all the 74E's the combi version, or are there others?

And, if they're 74E's that have been reconfigured, do they have F, J & Y, or are they without F?

I'll be flying OZ F through ICN in a little over a week, so I'll attempt to find out in the F lounge what the deal is.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Does anyone know -- are all the 74E's the combi version, or are there others?

And, if they're 74E's that have been reconfigured, do they have F, J & Y, or are they without F?

I'll be flying OZ F through ICN in a little over a week, so I'll attempt to find out in the F lounge what the deal is.
74E is the code for 747 combi, if not, it would say 747 or 744.

All 747 pax and 74E are all 3 classes.

For ICN F lounge you are do a search for my trip report, it had plenty of photos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.