Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by AC340-541
If there's an equipment change to a refurbished 74M, will I get booted upstairs?
As long as F is not sold on the segment, you'll be fine whether you are in a renovated 74M or an old 74M.

To my knowledge, OZ724 has never been sold as 3-class (FCY), only 2-class. So, there is probably very little danger of losing your F seat since they will not sell F on the flight.

OZ722 usually has F available for sale, which means any seat assignment in F cabin for a C ticket (due to 2-class config) will be lost if they change their mind and decide to sell F on the flight.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Thanks for the informative replies, stargold and ORDnHKG!

Looking forward to my first OZ experience! The second leg is on a 330, so I'll get to see the difference between old and new!

Cheers!
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Yikes. I am LAX to ICN to LAX on OZ F suite. But that picture of it not going full flat turned me off. Also in my case I have to drive to SFO from SMF then fly UA to LAX. So a total turn off for a non lie flat suite. I am also using NH points for this award which I highly value so another no go. Well I will be off to ICN from SFO via HKG on CX in F. That all makes more sense now. Going to XIY which is not that easy. Thanks all.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Well I will be off to ICN from SFO via HKG on CX in F. That all makes more sense now. Going to XIY which is not that easy. Thanks all.
I don't quite understand why you don't choose CX F in the first place when you have the miles. CX F trumps OZ F anytime now especially with the food. The seat are much wider as well. If I don't put all my miles into star alliance, I would choose CX the first carrier I want to fly.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Got it. CX F it will be. Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basically the only thing left nice about OZ F is the "Thank You gift" you get before the end of the flight.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:22 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Basically the only thing left nice about OZ F is the "Thank You gift" you get before the end of the flight.
I am not much of an F flier so I can't comment a lot. But the few times I did fly OZ F the seat was fully flat. And the service on OZ trumps CX any day. I would always pick OZ over CX in any class.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:06 pm

Final word?

Is the new OZ F suite seat running between LAX and ICN fully flat? I would not mind trying OZ in F if I knew one could get a good nights sleep as I know you can on CX. Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I am not much of an F flier so I can't comment a lot. But the few times I did fly OZ F the seat was fully flat. And the service on OZ trumps CX any day. I would always pick OZ over CX in any class.
No it wasn't, unless you are talking about the old F seats, which it does go fully flat. The new F does not recline all the way 90 degrees down, it is the most 70 degrees. (how would I know about it ? because I try to sit on it when it is on bed mode) Service wise, many times OZ FA had a hard time to understand and speak English, sometimes they may not fully understand your request, where CX FA never have a problem with spoken English.

Yes, before OZ cut back on amenities, I love OZ basically everything. But my recent F flight just shown to me they had gone too far for the cut back after the new seats installed, and the seat are not that good either. Amenity kit only has male version,(which was a wrong direction from the beginning if you can't offer both male and female, they should stick with more unisex Bvlgari green tea from the past), the old kit has more stuff inside, no more lobster on the shell is a big thumb down for me. C kit only provide out of ICN, are you kidding me ? Midflight snack only limited to udon soup or korean hot instant noodles soup. Hell I got even better mid flight snack on UA C.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 27, 2009 at 5:15 pm
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the new OZ F suite seat running between LAX and ICN fully flat? I would not mind trying OZ in F if I knew one could get a good nights sleep as I know you can on CX. Thanks.
You should also know about new F is only running about 95% of the time on LAX-ICN.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:40 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
No it wasn't, unless you are talking about the old F seats, which it does go fully flat. The new F does not recline all the way 90 degrees down, it is the most 70 degrees. (how would I know about it ? because I try to sit on it when it is on bed mode) Service wise, many times OZ FA had a hard time to understand and speak English, sometimes they may not fully understand your request, where CX FA never have a problem with spoken English.
You must be kidding. I hope at least. It is indeed a while since I have flown OZ F so it must have been the old F seat. But I can't believe they have replaced a fully flat F seat with one which doesn't go all the way.

They must be joking. By the way, I did get amenity kits last year in OZ C FRA-ICN so it must be relatively new that they don't hand them out from outstations anymore.

Edit: This is from the OZ website:

Asiana Airlines offers the advanced sleeper seat, which can be folded by 180 degrees, to ensure a sleep experience for the greater comfort of the passenger. The passenger will enjoy all the comfort offered by the first-class hotel bed.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:37 am

Thank you all. We should get a final word. I was told last night in person by someone who flew the same sector I was looking at that they indeed go 180 full flat.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you all. We should get a final word. I was told last night in person by someone who flew the same sector I was looking at that they indeed go 180 full flat.
No it wasn't, a photo speak the truth. Why don't you go to page 3 post # 37 and take a look at stargold photo ? That photo is 747 new F seat. I had experienced 777 F seat, which is the same 160 degrees flat, not 180 degrees. The person you were talking might be on the old F seat in the only old 74M which does occasionally sub for LAX-ICN.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 28, 2009 at 10:06 am
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You must be kidding. I hope at least. It is indeed a while since I have flown OZ F so it must have been the old F seat. But I can't believe they have replaced a fully flat F seat with one which doesn't go all the way.
Was your F seat only have two buttons to control your seat ? One for recline, one for the legrest to go up ?

They must be joking. By the way, I did get amenity kits last year in OZ C FRA-ICN so it must be relatively new that they don't hand them out from outstations anymore.
It is not that new, it had been the case for more than 6 months. And I also had confirmed from the FA (F purser) they only hand out C kits ex-ICN long haul because of bad economy.

A note to the OZ website, they don't even update the correct information about which 777 and 747 has AVOD and which one doesn't, they also has the photo of the female F kit, which also discontinued, no one can completely trust OZ website.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 28, 2009 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
No it wasn't, a photo speak the truth. Why don't you go to page 3 post # 37 and take a look at stargold photo ? That photo is 747 new F seat. I had experienced 777 F seat, which is the same 160 degrees flat, not 180 degrees. The person you were talking might be on the old F seat in the only old 74M which does occasionally sub for LAX-ICN.

I've been on several OZ F flights in the 744 with the new seats. The seats are flat -- 180 degrees. They are not angled flat like the business class seats. (In the photo in post 37, the seat back is raised somewhat, but I'm not sure why. Mine have reclined fully. Look at the photos on their website. The footrest is up at 180 degrees, not down at 160 as in the angled seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.