Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Club Status Period Extension due to COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana Club Status Period Extension due to COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Extended 1 year to 10/2023
Sure, yes - but what now? Like: how many miles will we have to acquire during this period? What will happen once we have reached the miles originally needed for re-qualification for two years (as it seems: nothing...)?
vinx likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:45 pm

My account kept showing as Diamond status expiring on October 31. I checked my account and it seems my status got extended another year and expires in 2023.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by vprp
My account kept showing as Diamond status expiring on October 31. I checked my account and it seems my status got extended another year and expires in 2023.
Does that mean your status has been extended for two years in total? I mean, before covid, one did need to acquire 30,000 miles to requalify for another 2 years . Now we get a status extension for 1 year, if the requirements have not yet been met.
So, what happens next? My status has been extended for one year, after I reached 28,500 miles for requlification. A few weeks later I had reached 40,500 miles, but the extension period still remains for 1 year.

So, what are the rules? A mail to Asiana still remains unanswered.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by roundita
Does that mean your status has been extended for two years in total? I mean, before covid, one did need to acquire 30,000 miles to requalify for another 2 years . Now we get a status extension for 1 year, if the requirements have not yet been met.
So, what happens next? My status has been extended for one year, after I reached 28,500 miles for requlification. A few weeks later I had reached 40,500 miles, but the extension period still remains for 1 year.

So, what are the rules? A mail to Asiana still remains unanswered.
My memory isn't 100% since I was planning on letting status with Asiana lapse but my recollection is that originally, my re-qualification period was to end on October 31, 2020. After either 1 or 2 extensions, it was most recently set to expire on Oct 31 of 2022 but got extended 1 more year. So I believe I will have received 3 years of extensions.

I do not know what the official policy is, nor did I contact Asiana about any extensions.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:23 am

when my status got extended in May 2022 my requal period was also extended by a year. I imagine the same rule applies regardless of how many times your status was extended.

You might have better luck calling the US Sales Office or calling the Asiana Club number.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Initially, OZ confirmed that my diamond won't be renewed it expired in end Nov when enquired about it in Oct. Last week, received an email from OZ saying they will extend the status for another 12 months which is a good news as I will be flying in end of Dec. Hopefully, others will get the same extension like I have received.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: BA, AS, OZ
So in the case where the card expiry date and maintenance period don't match up, they'd extend the card validity to the extended requalification date? My original requalification date since being a member has always been 1/31, but with covid extension I got the 6-month thing to 7.31. So now in my app it says card expires 1/31, but under membership tier status, it says maintenance/requalification period 2021.8.1-2023.7.31. I'm short ~500 miles to the 30K right now and I'm wondering if I need to plan a trip before 1/31 or will any qualifying flights between 1.31 and 7.31 still count? And will I be status-less between 1/31 and whenever I complete the remaining miles? Already wrote to the US Asiana Club email, but in my experience they take close to a month to write back, so just curious if others can clarify with data points?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: AC,OZ Diamond
I also got an extension email today. I was originally Diamond and that ended June 2020. My last trip to requalify was cancelled due to COVID, and they didn't give me any consideration for an extension then (I even tried emailing them). I was dropped to Gold with that originally expiring 12/2022. Now my Gold has been extended through to the end of 2023. Requalification period is now also extended through to the end of 2023 as well, with the miles I earned in 2022 still counting.

Still a bummer I didn't get the Diamond extension initially as that would have been a lot more useful with all these repeated extensions. Frankly surprised OZ is still extending status as I think they might be the only airline still handing out free extensions without any real criteria.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:24 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I wonder if these generous extensions have anything to do with impending demise of OZ's program after KE's acquisition is finalized (reportedly some time this year). Perhaps it's a way for them to keep elites from defecting?

LAX
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
I wonder if these generous extensions have anything to do with impending demise of OZ's program after KE's acquisition is finalized (reportedly some time this year). Perhaps it's a way for them to keep elites from defecting?

LAX
I appreciate the status extension but I doubt it's doing much to keep elites on board who would otherwise jump ship. Korean elites will probably just switch to flying KE+Skyteam and elites who want to stick with *A probably already have or are in the process of defecting.

If KE really wants OZ elites to not defect, they would roll back the changes to Skypass that make it suck.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: Velocity
Does anyone know if folks with status expiring 31-Jan will have their status extended to the end of 2023?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Notyourbag
Does anyone know if folks with status expiring 31-Jan will have their status extended to the end of 2023?
I called them multiple times and it seems like they are only extending statuses that expired in 2022. It doesn't seem fair to me, but that's unfortunately what they told me.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by akoh
I called them multiple times and it seems like they are only extending statuses that expired in 2022. It doesn't seem fair to me, but that's unfortunately what they told me.
It's unfortunate, and I understand your perspective. But OZ has to draw the line somewhere, like all airlines that have extended status during Covid.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by sol95
It's unfortunate, and I understand your perspective. But OZ has to draw the line somewhere, like all airlines that have extended status during Covid.
I understand they have to draw the line, but I feel like it's fairer to say 'if your membership was active between X and Y date, we'll extend until Z date'. A membership running from Jan 31, 2021 to Jan 31, 2023 overlaps 22 of the 24 months with a membership running from Dec 31, 2020 to Dec 31, 2022 so it seems unfair, especially since I finally have a couple international trips planned this year. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: Velocity
Can confirm my 1/23 expiring status is now showing as expiring 1/24. Extra 12 months is very much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.