Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Club Status Period Extension due to COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club

Any thoughts on this?

A few airlines (e.g. Singapore) has already extended the qualification/maintenance period due to the on-going COVID-19 shenanigan.

My Asiana Club Diamond status expires at the end of April and my previously scheduled mileage run has been cancelled twice. Got a 3rd attempt booked for 1st week of April, but am unsure if it'll get cancelled again. Also contemplating if traveling is worth the health risk. I really wish Asiana would extend the qualification/maintenance period until the pandemic is under control.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: BA
Yup I'm in the same boat as you. Had flights to the US booked from London which would have put me at gold status, but these will now be cancelled. Be interesting to know if someone has spoken directly to Asiana.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond Plus, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by THX723
Any thoughts on this?

A few airlines (e.g. Singapore) has already extended the qualification/maintenance period due to the on-going COVID-19 shenanigan.

My Asiana Club Diamond status expires at the end of April and my previously scheduled mileage run has been cancelled twice. Got a 3rd attempt booked for 1st week of April, but am unsure if it'll get cancelled again. Also contemplating if traveling is worth the health risk. I really wish Asiana would extend the qualification/maintenance period until the pandemic is under control.
For me, it's not worth the risk. I'm not normally a person who overblows travel fears. Having lived in Asia for many years, I have seen many aviation health scares. I few to China and was inside the country for a month during the SARS epidemic. I have postponed two international flights and ten domestic US flights over the next two months. I"m currently Diamond Plus, and will requalify this year even with reduced flying. Even if I was going to lose status, for me it's not worth the health risk to me and to others. I hope that Asiana will extend the qualifying period in light of the current pandemic.
vinx likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Offthegrid
For me, it's not worth the risk. I'm not normally a person who overblows travel fears. Having lived in Asia for many years, I have seen many aviation health scares. I few to China and was inside the country for a month during the SARS epidemic. I have postponed two international flights and ten domestic US flights over the next two months. I"m currently Diamond Plus, and will requalify this year even with reduced flying. Even if I was going to lose status, for me it's not worth the health risk to me and to others. I hope that Asiana will extend the qualifying period in light of the current pandemic.
Right. Same conclusion I've reached. I've requested for refund with LOT Polish, Star Alliance partner I was planning on flying with.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
The biggest issue from a fairness prospective to everybody is the fact that OZ has a 2 year floating month qualification schedule.

That being said I'd think that I would extend status for the people who didn't make it from March until a couple of months after things settle back down a bit. If things calm down, borders and cities open up again in say mid June then anybody who is affected gets their status extended for six months after things return to semi-normal. My experience with OZ from a customer service standpoint has always been good especially when they credited me 100% when the UA earnings changed a couple of years back on a K fare I'd bought 6 months before. As long as you don't ask for the Moon (Stars, Sun Etc..), I'd be a little surprised if they don't show a little more flexibility for borderline cases especially if you only missed re qualification because flight cancellations, etc... and can show it.
vinx and SightseeMC like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:55 am

Has anyone had any updates on this? I see a lot of airlines like United, Delta and Qatar are extending their schemes. I was due to fly to New York on Thursday the 9th April which would have got me to *A Gold, but I've heard nothing from Asiana about any extension or in fact any information at all. They have been pretty poor compared to all the other airlines I'm signed up to.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by biertje
Has anyone had any updates on this? I see a lot of airlines like United, Delta and Qatar are extending their schemes. I was due to fly to New York on Thursday the 9th April which would have got me to *A Gold, but I've heard nothing from Asiana about any extension or in fact any information at all. They have been pretty poor compared to all the other airlines I'm signed up to.
swings and roundabouts, my friend.

granted OZ has been slow on announcing any extensions or details re their FFP. But TBH, I don't think it's an urgent issue for very many. That's not to say it's not urgent for YOU, in which case that's unfortunate.

While some airlines like UA have been proactive in extending status, I really don't like that they're holding onto my money for cancelled flights in the form of travel vouchers instead of refunding the whole amount back like OZ is doing. At this point in time, I have over $5,000 of my own money tied up with UA in flight credits for flights I have no idea when I'll take...

like I said, swings and roundabouts
vinx likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:24 am

Unfortunately I'm on both the swing and the roundabout as my flights are with UA and they are holding onto my fare too which is another frustration to deal with as well, but thanks for the help in a thread specifically about OZ FFP.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Unfortunately I'm on both the swing and the roundabout as my flights are with UA and they are holding onto my fare too which is another frustration to deal with as well, but thanks for the help in a thread specifically about OZ FFP.

Hmmm..a hint of sarcasm there? :P

Anyways, I referenced UA in a "thread specifically about OZ FFP" as you first brought up the comparison to United, Delta, and Qatar.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:59 am

I just got an email from KE saying they're extending Morning Calm evaluation period. So I suspect that Asiana will be following suit in the next few days to a week.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sol95
I just got an email from KE saying they're extending Morning Calm evaluation period. So I suspect that Asiana will be following suit in the next few days to a week.
But KE is one year based. My "expectation" is that OZ would extend only for those who have an expiration of their period for this year? No idea... this is a crazy time, I can't wait for that period to be over now. And now I am not even able to go back to Korea because of the temporary end of the visa waiver!!!
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Good to know!

Crazy times indeed Gasolin .
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Gasolin
But KE is one year based. My "expectation" is that OZ would extend only for those who have an expiration of their period for this year? No idea... this is a crazy time, I can't wait for that period to be over now. And now I am not even able to go back to Korea because of the temporary end of the visa waiver!!!
Edit: I had my dates backward. Oops.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Edit: I had my dates backward. Oops.
Hah I only saw the post after you edited it so no idea what those dates were.

Btw, interesting blog you run!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:35 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Hah I only saw the post after you edited it so no idea what those dates were.

Btw, interesting blog you run!
Thanks, it's on hold now of course :-( (Well the service, the blog I just have general tourist tips so far)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.