Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
The vertical stabilizer is on the runway, no tail that I can see.
I thought I saw the tail relatively close to the two vert. stabilizers.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The plane is resting about 1000 feet from the end of the runway - it came to rest fairly quickly.
I get the impression that this must have been as harrowing as the crash - the very sudden stop in only a thousand feet or so. Heartening to hear that nearly all the pax made it off.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Clearly landed low and short. Whether due to pilot error or due to some other sort of failure is yet to be seen. A lot of (terrible) speculation in the news at this point.
It is encouraging to see reports that people (some at least) were able to evacuate. Hopefully the injuries were few.

As a consultant who deals with matters related to fires and explosions, I won't board an airplane wearing clothing fabricated from anything other than natural fiber... no synthetics.

I don't want to, and I don't want my family to, reach the bottom of the slide with melted nylon adhering to the skin.

It is concerning that there are reports of some people exiting the plane carrying belongings.

On the ATC recording, it sounded like UA 885 was told to hold short of 28L as they were not ready. If this is so, the pilots would have seen the events moments before the crash. I hope the reports of deaths are not true.

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Braniff
Beginning to look like pilot error. Perhaps what happened with KoreanAir crews in the past, cockpit hierarchy etc ...
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Waaaaaaay too early for this kind speculation, please.
+1

Luckily there are probably real (and not armchair) investigators on the ground by now and have already started gathering data.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I get the impression that this must have been as harrowing as the crash - the very sudden stop in only a thousand feet or so. Heartening to hear that nearly all the pax made it off.
Agreed.

There appears to be some metal debris in the water near the jetty wall; perhaps that's part of the tail.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
Anyone know if the report of 2 fatalities is correct? Seeing conflicting info.

Disheartening to hear that not every pax made it off
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Where is the second engine?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA G
For those without TVs, ABC is streaming their coverage. http://abcnews.go.com/live
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
SFO officially closed until further notice

Programs: FB Plat
1.36pm San Francisco time now. Still nothing on Asiana's website. Unbelievable.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
This picture is quite amazing. (I did laugh at the fact there's another pax stopped to take a twitter pix..!)

https://twitter.com/SteveGrzanich/st...486849/photo/1
Lol are people carrying luggage???
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:38 pm

The nose gear collapsed and came off the aircraft. The gear is resting by the letter L by the 28L marking on the runway. With no nose gear, the aircraft dug into the runway and skidded to the left.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Hjallis
1.36pm San Francisco time now. Still nothing on Asiana's website. Unbelievable.
Nothing on UA's site either, and this is their hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.