Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by PropWasher
Was there a fire onboard prior to landing?
No emergency was declared before landing.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Flightaware comparison of yesterday's flight vs today's. Cool graphic

https://twitter.com/sbaker/status/35...494208/photo/1
FlightAware also shows the plane at ~85 kts at 200 feet down from ~135 kts at 400 feet, I don't think it should not be going that slow at 200 feet. The graphic is very interesting too, it almost seems as if the pilot came in too steep and too quickly and tried to compensate by cutting speed and taking a steep approach angle

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by wp_kid
This is terrible, I hope everyone made it safely.

On a lesser important note, I wonder if the SFO bound flights are being diverted to OAK or SJC...
LAX. (per CNN)

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by PropWasher
Was there a fire onboard prior to landing?
No report of emergency prior to landing. Onboard fire would definitely qualify for an emergency landing.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:05 pm

This is terrible, I hope everyone made it safely.

On a lesser important note, I wonder if the SFO bound flights are being diverted to OAK or SJC...
I saw a couple AA flights diverted to SJC and LAX.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
Lol are people carrying luggage???
Glad you can find some humor in this situation. I hope you never have to experience anything half as bad as this.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Flightaware comparison of yesterday's flight vs today's. Cool graphic

https://twitter.com/sbaker/status/35...494208/photo/1
^

I am amazed at how quickly that data was shared here.

The steep slope at the end of the path seems to support the posts about the similarity to BA 38.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by NWAFA
Glad you can find some humor in this situation. I hope you never have to experience anything half as bad as this.
Not funny, on both ends, at a situation like that when the plane can be overtaken by fire any second, you do not stop and take your luggage, you walk as fast as you can to an emergency slide, and slide down
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
LH's A388 diverted to OAK...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA
well, I am not sure about any casualties, see this report below.

http://avherald.com/h?article=464ef64f&opt=0
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Pratt & Whitney just confirmed that it was their PW4000 engines on the plane

Programs: *
Guys can we please stop thee political bickering? We have a tragic incident and some families will be disrupted forever by this event. This isn't time to be picking at each other - at least not in this thread.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I am praying for no more deaths, but with the tail breaking off like that, the last few rows of people have to be sucked out due to pressure lost.
The rear half of the hull is intact, nothing like that occurred.
They're being diverted all over the west, from SEA to DEN to LAX. LH and CX went into OAK, I know. AF diverted to SEA. All UA flights headed for SFO from the eastern half of the US are headed into DEN now.

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
...at a situation like that when the plane can be overtaken by fire any second, you do not stop and take your luggage, you walk as fast as you can to an emergency slide, and slide down
Any FA will tell you (back me up NWAFA) the biggest problem with emergency evacs is convincing pax to leave their carry-on items behind and run for it. The photo of the Asian woman lugging a full-size rollaboard bag across the grass away from the smoldering wreckage is mind-boggling.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
It's amazing to me that there are people posting snarky political remarks on this thread when there are reports of deaths - deaths! - from this tragedy. Please have some respect!
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
Originally Posted by ScottC
What annoys me most of all in that, is that an actual passenger (David Eun) took that photo, and others ripped out his name and posted it as their own photo. Amazing how far people will go for a little attention online
I think this is the original author:
https://path.com/p/1lwrZb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.