Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
Unconfirmed Report: There was a body found by the US Coast Guard

Not sure if it's from the plane or someone on the ground or what...
Damn.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold
When something like this happens, do airlines have any spare planes that can be put in service? What will OZ use to operate OZ 213/214 for the next few days or weeks or months?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Naive question:

How long will the airport be closed? (Obviously the rest of the day is closed and flights canceled) but will they continue the investigation into tomorrow?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:19 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edcho
90 seconds to get out... although i'd be still running away at this point (it could explode, etc).
Taking pictures from outside? Odd enough. But do you see people carrying their bags? How would you like to be behind them, still inside as they retrieve luggage when you are seconds from incineration, as was the case here?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ScottC
Sounds like they declared an emergency before coming down.
Actually sounds like OZ214 is transmitting after impact. All the chatter about declaring an emergency and rolling the responders comes as ATC is directing all other inbound flights to go around.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://twitter.com/NewsBreaker/stat...097664/photo/1

Programs: NZ Silver
Some 'expert' on Fox making some ridiculous and ubstantiated claims live on TV
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Braniff
CNN now reporting the Coast Guard has launched a rescue operation in the waters off SFO. Based on the quality of their reporting (aside from Richard Quest) ...
CNN just ran an onscreen heading that said "WITNESS: WING SEPARATED" ... right under an image of the wreckage showing the wing definitely not separated.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by FoothillFlyer
Taking pictures from outside? Odd enough. But do you see people carrying their bags? How would you like to be behind them, still inside as they retrieve luggage when you are seconds from incineration, as was the case here?
I noticed that too ... I was a little shocked but not too surprised. There are constantly people getting up to get their luggage DURING landing. I don't think they realize time matters either.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Actually sounds like OZ214 is transmitting after impact. All the chatter about declaring an emergency and rolling the responders comes as ATC is directing all other inbound flights to go around.
+1 It sounds like the OZ flight was cleared to land right at the beginning of the recording and the second communication was after the crash landing.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Looks like little fuel left at the landing, which would be a blessing.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
When something like this happens, do airlines have any spare planes that can be put in service? What will OZ use to operate OZ 213/214 for the next few days or weeks or months?
They can charter in easily enough. Note also that the flight number 214 will likely be retired. It usually is when it's associated with major accidents.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by susiesan
It's safe to say that OZ213 won't operate today. As to the days ahead, it just depends on what spare resources OZ have - not many I suspect - and the way they choose to prioritise their use. If they find themselves short, they might decide to lease.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Naive question:

How long will the airport be closed? (Obviously the rest of the day is closed and flights canceled) but will they continue the investigation into tomorrow?
I would be very surprised if SFO did not resume flights later today.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
CNN just ran an onscreen heading that said "WITNESS: WING SEPARATED" ... right under an image of the wreckage showing the wing definitely not separated.
I know. I stilll find myself turning to CNN at events like this. I believe the others are even worse !

They just had a quick interview with their correspondent in Seoul who said "I know nothing at this point." If only Jonathan King (Boston Marathon fame) and his likes at CNN would take such an approach !
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:26 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HentoDeluxe
glad it looks like all are safe. From the photo, it even looks like pax were allowed to remove their carryon luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.