Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by BearX220
FAA website NOTAMs confirm the glide slope is out on both 28 runways at SFO through late August:

06/008 (A1064/13) - RWY 28R RVRT U/S. 01 JUN 14:00 2013 UNTIL 22 AUG 23:59 2013. CREATED: 01 JUN
13:42 2013

06/005 (A1056/13) - NAV ILS RWY 28L GP U/S. 01 JUN 14:00 2013 UNTIL 22 AUG 23:59 2013. CREATED: 01
JUN 13:40 2013

Nothing about PAPI outage however.
Not really relevant to this crash but the first NOTAM is not for the glideslope being unusable on 28R but rather the RVR measuring equipment (RVR Transmissometer).
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
Actually not. The emergency is only declared after impact. The OZ214 crew is transmitting from their new base as a stationary chunk of debris.
Yes, my bad - will correct post.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If they had declared an emergency landing, which they didn't, they (ATC) wouldn't have given the UA plane the "few minutes" he needed to sort whatever it was out.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by payam81
That shouldn't be a huge deal. The pilots should have surely been trained to simply get radar vectors for another approach with inoperative glide slope.
No need for the glide slope in VFR conditions. The PAPI lights being out of service would definitely been cause for concern in this accident.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If they had declared an emergency landing, which they didn't, they (ATC) wouldn't have given the UA plane the "few minutes" he needed to sort whatever it was out.
On the first listen, I thought the declaration was moments just before touchdown. Anyway, I fixed my post.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by payam81
That shouldn't be a huge deal. The pilots should have surely been trained to simply get radar vectors for another approach with inoperative glide slope.
Huh? Do you understand the term "radar vectors"?

They should have surely been trained to successfully land a properly working 777 in crystal clear weather on a 12000' x 200' runway without any radio navaids at all.

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Prayers for sll

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
*anybody know how many slides were deployed/used on the far side from the photo in this thread?
Looks like 0 from the other video(s) of it spinning around.

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Multiple reports of the plane "cartwheeling" after touchdown, so if accurate, I can see how a cartwheeling plane would break apart like that. .
It's obvious that there was no "cartwheeling". That's the first thing I heard about the crash, and I was expecting a pile of wreckage instead of a virtually whole airplane. Typical of the "over-reporting" on live incidents.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: * A
Hope most everyone got out in time. Just heard the interview of a survivor's daughter, only some major injuries thankfully. Yet to find out more details. The ntsb news conference is about to start in dc.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:32 pm

Atleast two dead reported by MSNBC.

Originally Posted by PropWasher
Fire doesn't wait to be declared. The images so far show combustion from the interior of the aircraft.

DC-9 Cincinatti

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NH0udSYnYn...FLIGHT+797.jpg
If there was a fire before landing, i'm assuming the FAs would relay that info to the pilots which would relay it to the tower. If it's hidden, then no one would know until the NTSB does their investigation.

Hence why I said that.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jimmc66
It's obvious that there was no "cartwheeling". That's the first thing I heard about the crash, and I was expecting a pile of wreckage instead of a virtually whole airplane. Typical of the "over-reporting" on live incidents.
The people who used that term meant the fuselage was "spinning," as i it were mounted on a record turntable. Poor choice of colloquialisms but understandable.

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
In the photos I saw, there were two slides deployed on one side on the plane, and X* on the other side. What's the best possible exit rate in pax/minute/slide in the situation? They were lucky it was full daylight and they didn't have to evacuate in the dark.

*anybody know how many slides were deployed/used on the far side from the photo in this thread?
If there was any threat of fire on the starboard side, the FA's would not open the doors much less use the chutes. First they would test the doors for heat. Since the smoke was coming from that side, they made a very smart decision to open the 1L and 2L port doors.

IIRC, they want to have all pax off the plane in three minutes or less.
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Dunbar
No need for the glide slope in VFR conditions. The PAPI lights being out of service would definitely been cause for concern in this accident.
I question the accuracy of this report of inoperative PAPI lights because there is no NOTAM for this currently active.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:35 pm

UA issues waivers soon for SFO:

From Facebook: "Our thoughts are with the Asiana passengers. San Francisco Airport is currently closed. We’ll have a waiver for travel in place shortly on united.com."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.