Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Seats together at check-in?

My wife and i are traveling together next month. I was able to secure two QS middle seats but they arent the QS seats that are super close together. At the suggestion of others, I called Asiana reservations to try to get it changed. The CSR i spoke to said that those seats were not available.

Has anyone been offered the two middle seats together at check-in even though they weren't available for advanced seat assignment. I am contemplating taking two window seats, one behind the other, rather than the two center seats apart. I'd like to have more seclusion from the aisle for the overnight flight.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by airlineaddict
Has anyone been offered the two middle seats together at check-in even though they weren't available for advanced seat assignment.
I can't speak specifically to the 'Smartium' seats, but I've had similar seat assignment issues on every OZ F flight I've taken. OZ blocks a lot of seats for some strange reason, and it doesn't mean they are occupied.

With only one exception, when I checked in at the airport for my other flights, I had the choice of many of the seats that were blocked. In one case, the two of us traveling together had our choice of the entire F cabin as we were the only F passengers, yet at least half of the seats were blocked from advance reservation. It's very strange.

I think your idea of two window seats is the best. Then, if a better pair of seats is available at check-in, you can always move. But at least you'll have good options locked in.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I've only flown OZ once before, but I've also found that they block a whole lot of seats before departure. However, once the online check-in opens at 48 hours before departure, a lot more seats will open up. If you can't get them to do it on the phone, I think your best bet is to do online check-in right at T-48 and then at the airport check-in as a last resort.

This is a bit annoying. I booked a flight back in February for July in the QS seats and from all the way back in February there were only 6 seats available for selection out of 24 in the cabin. So I too am hoping that things open up when I check-in.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:49 am

A quick thought using the below website

http://data.flight24.com/flights/oz522/

the following aircraft appear to be with QS?

HL7755
HL7739
HL7756
HL7742

Having looked at both SFO and LAX which according to the Asiana website are exclusively QS and also checked LHR on the 8th and it appeared to be HL7742 so the schedule looks kind of accurate.

Also it appears that HL7742 has made some appearances to Sydney which may explain the reports of QS on the Sydney flight and may even be the rotation from London, ie if you look at the above website the plane that operates OZ522 then appears on OZ601 on the next day on the Wednesday/Thursday combination IE with the date change from London? no expert and the trend is only for two weeks ie the 1st and 8th of June so no guarantees. So on the 8th of June HL7742 operated LHR-ICN and then on the 9th of June HL7742 operated ICN-SYD
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC *E
I was able to reserve 3E/F for next March by calling OZ.

Originally Posted by airlineaddict
My wife and i are traveling together next month. I was able to secure two QS middle seats but they arent the QS seats that are super close together. At the suggestion of others, I called Asiana reservations to try to get it changed. The CSR i spoke to said that those seats were not available.

Has anyone been offered the two middle seats together at check-in even though they weren't available for advanced seat assignment. I am contemplating taking two window seats, one behind the other, rather than the two center seats apart. I'd like to have more seclusion from the aisle for the overnight flight.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Skypass
i'm still confused as to why when Asiana put in the new business seats on the 777, they didn't bother to put the new slim Y seats with 10.6 inch AVOD that they have on 747's
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ande777emt
At 6'4" you might be at the limits of the seat; I'm 5'7" and there's only ~4-5" past my feet as opposed to US where the seat goes at least another foot beyond my feet.
I sleep on my side and through experience found that the seats where the cocktail table (if thats what they call it) is on your left are better for me. I am 6ft 2 tall so couldn't totally stretch out, but was able to lie on my side and bend my knees comfortably so that I could sleep on my flight to ICN. On the flight to SYD, the table was on my right and I wasn't as comfortable as I had to try and sleep on my left hand side.

Originally Posted by DaveSFO
I've only flown OZ once before, but I've also found that they block a whole lot of seats before departure. However, once the online check-in opens at 48 hours before departure, a lot more seats will open up. If you can't get them to do it on the phone, I think your best bet is to do online check-in right at T-48 and then at the airport check-in as a last resort.

This is a bit annoying. I booked a flight back in February for July in the QS seats and from all the way back in February there were only 6 seats available for selection out of 24 in the cabin. So I too am hoping that things open up when I check-in.
The whole cabin was "full" according to the OZ site for both of my flights. Check-in opened and it looked totally different. My flights to ICN and SYDcended up travelling with respectively just 12 and 10 of the seats filled.

Originally Posted by babs
A quick thought using the below website

the following aircraft appear to be with QS?

HL7755
HL7739
HL7756
HL7742

Having looked at both SFO and LAX which according to the Asiana website are exclusively QS and also checked LHR on the 8th and it appeared to be HL7742 so the schedule looks kind of accurate.

Also it appears that HL7742 has made some appearances to Sydney which may explain the reports of QS on the Sydney flight and may even be the rotation from London, ie if you look at the above website the plane that operates OZ522 then appears on OZ601 on the next day on the Wednesday/Thursday combination IE with the date change from London? no expert and the trend is only for two weeks ie the 1st and 8th of June so no guarantees. So on the 8th of June HL7742 operated LHR-ICN and then on the 9th of June HL7742 operated ICN-SYD
Interesting. I was on HL7442 and got Smartium all the way from LHR to SYD. 1st June was supposed to be the start of Wednesday QS flights to/from LHR. Seems that they did indeed start a week later than planned.

Further looking at that website (great link - thanks!) it doesn't seem as if it happened the following week.

HL7756 seems to run exclusively to/from SFO and LAX
http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/hl7756/

HL7739 has done mostly LAX and SFO, with a couple of trips to SYD and one to CDG
http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/hl7739/

HL7755 is almost exclusively SFO and LAX, with two SYD and one NRT rotations.
http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/hl7755/

HL7742 seems to "get around!" - quite a variety, LAX, SFO, SYD, NRT and LHR.
http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/hl7742/

By the look of the data, I think I got very lucky to get QS on both flights.

Anyone know when they are putting the next aircraft in for QS fitting, and which one will it be?

Mark
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mjgodden
Anyone know when they are putting the next aircraft in for QS fitting, and which one will it be?

Mark
I sure hope it's Chicago!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by mjgodden
By the look of the data, I think I got very lucky to get QS on both flights.

Mark
Looks like you got pretty lucky.

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I sure hope it's Chicago!
I'd bet more EU frequency before Chicago unless KE upgrades their product to ORD.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:18 pm

Looks like Quadra Smartium did not make it to London on the 22nd June

unless HL7596 is also QS equiped? anyone with insight?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Looks like Quadra Smartium did not make it to London on the 22nd June

Actually the only dates that has QS to LHR is 6/8,9,13 and 15.

HL7732 is non AVOD, therefore no QS.

unless HL7596 is also QS equiped? anyone with insight?
HL7596 is a non AVOD bird, so the answer is no.

All of those 4 birds are all AVOD equipped. They are currently only working on AVOD equipped planes.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 24, 2011 at 3:57 pm
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:50 am

Maybe the 3 class planes will get QS?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:12 pm

can't wait to try out these seats
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Maybe the 3 class planes will get QS?
Rumor has it the 2 772's on order, when delivered, will have F and QS C.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ande777emt
Rumor has it the 2 772's on order, when delivered, will have F and QS C.
Makes me wonder why they haven't gone with the 77W. It's a much more efficient plane than the ancient 747s and would be perfect for routes like NY. I wonder if that's a delivery slots thing.

As for the A350-1000 I doubt it will perform at the 77W's level at current specifications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.