Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

2022 onward: Visa/VOA info for Vietnam

Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Copied from older thread; stephem was the last to edit.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.


Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

External Sources Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.
27 Nov 2022 - VOA information removed as it is no longer permitted, at least for those from the US

Print Wikipost

2022 onward: Visa/VOA info for Vietnam

Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:59 pm
  #31  
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DFW
Posts: 675
Originally Posted by waddy
If we are visiting Vietnam and then go to Cambodia and return to Vietnam for a couple of hours before we fly out of the county do I need to get 2 Vietnam visas or will one suffice since we are just transiting the airport and don’t plan to leave it?
The first visa becomes invalid after you exit Vietnam and enter Cambodia. Now if you are flying out of Cambodia on your way home with a layover in Vietnam then you won't need a 2nd visa. That's assuming that you don't have to go through Vietnamese immigration. But every time you have to go through immigration in Vietnam, then you will need a visa, This is assuming you are using the 30 day tourist visa.
vh_bu98 is offline  
Old Oct 30, 2022, 4:50 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 8
Hi,

We are visiting Vietnam on Sunday 06th of November. We’re flying from GOT via IST onto HAN. As I understand it, all Covid restrictions have been dropped and we only need a Visa. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, we are flying home via TPE on the 26th, do they have any restrictions we need to keep in mind? It’s just a transit but again, wanting to make sure. Thanks for your help!
Chigge is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:39 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: RST
Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 4,839
Originally Posted by Chigge
Hi,

We are visiting Vietnam on Sunday 06th of November. We’re flying from GOT via IST onto HAN. As I understand it, all Covid restrictions have been dropped and we only need a Visa. Can anyone confirm this?
That is correct. Passport and visa is all you need. They still have an insurance requirement but they never ask.
fromYXU is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:13 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by fromYXU
That is correct. Passport and visa is all you need. They still have an insurance requirement but they never ask.
Great, thanks so much for your reply!
Chigge is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:22 pm
  #35  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,635
We are headed to Vietnam in December. I thought I might share the various missteps I made regarding our visas.

We have been to Vietnam several times, all pre Covid. My memory is that we were able to get visas on arrival. We are also going to Cambodia. I started filling out the Cambodia visa application first. It requires travel insurance. That sent me down the trail of acquiring insurance for Vietnam. I had read online that it is required. I now read above that I don't need it. Regardless, by the time I secured the insurance, I didn't return to getting a Vietnam visa. I assumed (wrongly) that I could get it on entering the country. But I saw another FTer post in the Park Hyatt Saigon thread that he hadn't paid attention, learned there was no way to get a visa on entering the country, and had to pay a lot of money to get one quickly in advance.

Fortunately we were still between 2 and 3 weeks out. I applied for the visa using this link:

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

There was a $25 fee per person. It was to be a 3 day turnaround, but it was 5 or 6 days. I realized after applying that it was a single entry visa. We are going Vietnam - Cambodia - Vietnam. I wrote and asked within minutes of applying but got no response. Sure enough, it was issued as a single entry. I then applied for a second visa to cover the entry from Phnom Penh. I had to supply my entry and exit points, and the visa does include that information. My second visa application was filled in 2 days.

So, from my experience:
  1. American citizens must get visas in advance
  2. These visas are single entry. You must have a visa for each entry into the country.
  3. Travel insurance does not seem to be required though it is for Cambodia
  4. We were not required to supply our vaccination information for Vietnam though we had to do so for Cambodia.
I hope this helps someone else avoid my near catastrophic mistakes.
TWA884 and sambagrrl07 like this.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:30 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We are headed to Vietnam in December. I thought I might share the various missteps I made regarding our visas.

We have been to Vietnam several times, all pre Covid. My memory is that we were able to get visas on arrival. We are also going to Cambodia. I started filling out the Cambodia visa application first. It requires travel insurance. That sent me down the trail of acquiring insurance for Vietnam. I had read online that it is required. I now read above that I don't need it. Regardless, by the time I secured the insurance, I didn't return to getting a Vietnam visa. I assumed (wrongly) that I could get it on entering the country. But I saw another FTer post in the Park Hyatt Saigon thread that he hadn't paid attention, learned there was no way to get a visa on entering the country, and had to pay a lot of money to get one quickly in advance.

Fortunately we were still between 2 and 3 weeks out. I applied for the visa using this link:

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

There was a $25 fee per person. It was to be a 3 day turnaround, but it was 5 or 6 days. I realized after applying that it was a single entry visa. We are going Vietnam - Cambodia - Vietnam. I wrote and asked within minutes of applying but got no response. Sure enough, it was issued as a single entry. I then applied for a second visa to cover the entry from Phnom Penh. I had to supply my entry and exit points, and the visa does include that information. My second visa application was filled in 2 days.

So, from my experience:
  1. American citizens must get visas in advance
  2. These visas are single entry. You must have a visa for each entry into the country.
  3. Travel insurance does not seem to be required though it is for Cambodia
  4. We were not required to supply our vaccination information for Vietnam though we had to do so for Cambodia.
I hope this helps someone else avoid my near catastrophic mistakes.
Very helpful indeed! What form does the e-visa come in? PDF?

Thanks very much.
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:15 pm
  #37  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,635
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07
What form does the e-visa come in? PDF?
Yes, it's a .pdf. You are sent a code and must go to their website. There you can enter the code and download your visa. It seems to me that you want to arrive in Vietnam with the paper visa. I don't see how their immigration officials would find it otherwise. I should think our airlines also want to check and confirm that we have a visa to enter the country. Again, a paper copy seems essential to show them.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:17 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Yes, it's a .pdf. You are sent a code and must go to their website. There you can enter the code and download your visa. It seems to me that you want to arrive in Vietnam with the paper visa. I don't see how their immigration officials would find it otherwise. I should think our airlines also want to check and confirm that we have a visa to enter the country. Again, a paper copy seems essential to show them.
Thanks again - we have a similar itinerary in 2023.
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:20 am
  #39  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,635
We've now flown into Vietnam. Sure enough, the boarding airline needed to see a paper copy of the visa. They have no alternative way of seeing it. We flew Singapore Airlines from LAX. The agent shared that someone had attempted to check in a few days earlier headed to Ho Chi Minh. On checking his visa, the agent found it wasn't yet valid. He had to send the passenger away to wait until the visa date.

On entering Da Nang, the Visa On Arrival section is still there but is unmanned. Immigration lines were long and a lot of counters weren't staffed. It took us half an hour to enter the country.

As an aside, we were required to wear masks on the flight entering Vietnam and within the airport. Once we left the airport, we could remove out masks.
sambagrrl07 and Tardis_mom like this.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:24 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 926
I was a bit concerned by this… then realised it doesn’t apply to UK passports if travelling there for up to 15 days… phew!!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Tofino87 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:55 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We've now flown into Vietnam. Sure enough, the boarding airline needed to see a paper copy of the visa. They have no alternative way of seeing it. We flew Singapore Airlines from LAX. The agent shared that someone had attempted to check in a few days earlier headed to Ho Chi Minh. On checking his visa, the agent found it wasn't yet valid. He had to send the passenger away to wait until the visa date.

On entering Da Nang, the Visa On Arrival section is still there but is unmanned. Immigration lines were long and a lot of counters weren't staffed. It took us half an hour to enter the country.

As an aside, we were required to wear masks on the flight entering Vietnam and within the airport. Once we left the airport, we could remove out masks.
Thanks for the report; keep them coming! Would love to know how the Grab app works for you (in the appropriate thread, of course).
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:25 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: BWI
Posts: 25
Thanks for the updates. We are headed there in less than two weeks, so these updates are very helpful.
Tardis_mom is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:41 pm
  #43  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,635
A couple more points:

I had found a place on the internet that said Vietnam is requiring travel insurance that covers covid. I found a product and purchased it. It was not required for my visa nor was it checked on entry. Note: travel insurance is required for Cambodia.

Nothing was said anywhere about covid vaccinations. We travel with proof of ours but did not need to show it. Note: Cambodia requires it.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:49 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London
Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 857
Hello all - thanks to everyone posting helpful updates on this thread. I wondered if anyone had any intel on current processing times - I foolishly only submitted my e-visa request last week (Thurs 15 Dec) for entry to Vietnam on Thurs 29 Dec, starting my journey on Weds 28 Dec

I know the application is in the system as I had a request via email to update my name entry the following day as it didn't quite match the passport (Friday 16 Dec), which I completed same day - I guess that may have restarted the clock, but do the wise people here think it is realistic to expect I would have received my evisa by close of business this week (i.e. by Friday 23 Dec). I know there aren't any public holidays in Vietnam during this time...
daftboy is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:22 am
  #45  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,635
Originally Posted by daftboy
Hello all - thanks to everyone posting helpful updates on this thread. I wondered if anyone had any intel on current processing times - I foolishly only submitted my e-visa request last week (Thurs 15 Dec) for entry to Vietnam on Thurs 29 Dec, starting my journey on Weds 28 Dec

I know the application is in the system as I had a request via email to update my name entry the following day as it didn't quite match the passport (Friday 16 Dec), which I completed same day - I guess that may have restarted the clock, but do the wise people here think it is realistic to expect I would have received my evisa by close of business this week (i.e. by Friday 23 Dec). I know there aren't any public holidays in Vietnam during this time...
You'll be fine. I had to get two visas for multiple entries. The first took 6 days or thereabouts to arrive. The second took 2 days. My data is from late November.
daftboy likes this.
SanDiego1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.