Reload this Page >

2022 onward: Visa/VOA info for Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Copied from older thread; stephem was the last to edit.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

External Sources Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.
27 Nov 2022 - VOA information removed as it is no longer permitted, at least for those from the US

Print Wikipost

2022 onward: Visa/VOA info for Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:13 am

When applying for the visa you state your desired entry and exit date.
When accepted, your visa will be valid for that time period.
You can enter on the date you specified or after (but not before). You do have to leave on or before the exit date, even if you haven't stayed the full 30 days.

We applied about a month before departure. I'm not sure how long in advance you can apply but I would assume for a December trip there would be no problem applying now.

Tips picked up during our research:
- Apply for an entry date of a day or two ahead of intended arrival (in case of flight changes).
- Always ask for 30 days, regardless of how long you're staying.
- The web site promises delivery within 3 working days - doesn't always happen. Apply well in advance.
- Keep photos under 2MB.
- Official web site: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/

We got our visa in the specified 3 days and leave for Vietnam today.

Hope this helps.
SanDiego1K, rjh, kevino and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CalmKaren
When applying for the visa you state your desired entry and exit date.
When accepted, your visa will be valid for that time period.
You can enter on the date you specified or after (but not before). You do have to leave on or before the exit date, even if you haven't stayed the full 30 days.

We applied about a month before departure. I'm not sure how long in advance you can apply but I would assume for a December trip there would be no problem applying now.

Tips picked up during our research:
- Apply for an entry date of a day or two ahead of intended arrival (in case of flight changes).
- Always ask for 30 days, regardless of how long you're staying.
- The web site promises delivery within 3 working days - doesn't always happen. Apply well in advance.
- Keep photos under 2MB.
- Official web site: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/

We got our visa in the specified 3 days and leave for Vietnam today.

Hope this helps.
I would add that be careful what website you use to apply. Some google searches will give you commercial sites that look official but charge you a managing fee. Do not do this. They will add time to you application and charge you more for it. Stick to the website above.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm planning a birthday trip to Vietnam with DH in March 2023. We will be flying into SGN, going to REP, and then to HAN, so ideally would get multiple entry visas for Vietnam, but the Vietnamese travel agent (recommended by several here on FT) is saying that isn't possible these days. The fee the agent is quoting to handle two separate 30 day visas on arrival seems quite high.

I've visited https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/we...trang-chu-ttdt but don't see anything there about multiple entries, and I've read that that option isn't available for e-visas anyway. The embassy in DC links to a form that has a check box for multiple entry, but it also requires a "Visa Approval Letter of Immigration Department in Vietnam." Does anyone have an update on this? Would love some guidance.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07
I'm planning a birthday trip to Vietnam with DH in March 2023. We will be flying into SGN, going to REP, and then to HAN, so ideally would get multiple entry visas for Vietnam, but the Vietnamese travel agent (recommended by several here on FT) is saying that isn't possible these days. The fee the agent is quoting to handle two separate 30 day visas on arrival seems quite high.

I've visited https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/we...trang-chu-ttdt but don't see anything there about multiple entries, and I've read that that option isn't available for e-visas anyway. The embassy in DC links to a form that has a check box for multiple entry, but it also requires a "Visa Approval Letter of Immigration Department in Vietnam." Does anyone have an update on this? Would love some guidance.
I used to get a one year multiple entry, but process for the 30 days evisa is so simple, I just did the 30 day visa. Fee was only $40.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 5:28 am

Just do your own evisa for the first leg and when you get to REP just apply for another one?
Old Oct 16, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Just do your own evisa for the first leg and when you get to REP just apply for another one?
Why wait until you get to REP. Just apply the 2nd one after you get the first one.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:20 am

Can anyone please tell me whether the travel insurance requirement was indeed removed or if it's still in place? I'm seeing conflicting information on different web sites. I already have my e-visa in hand. As far as I know, this is the only requirement? All of the COVID requirements have been removed? Or is there still any requirement for travel insurance (or even testing) for fully vaccinated foreign travelers?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:21 am

A bonus question.. just because this question might come up in the future for me.. if it says my evisa is valid until 27 November.. I assume that means I can depart without issues anytime on 27 November? and it does not need to be before 27 November?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Can anyone please tell me whether the travel insurance requirement was indeed removed or if it's still in place? I'm seeing conflicting information on different web sites. I already have my e-visa in hand. As far as I know, this is the only requirement? All of the COVID requirements have been removed? Or is there still any requirement for travel insurance (or even testing) for fully vaccinated foreign travelers?
Travelled in July and did not need to take any tests or show our proof of travel insurance.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Travelled in July and did not need to take any tests or show our proof of travel insurance.
Diito. Arrived this week. No requirement for tests or insurance.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:47 am

thanks guys
Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
If we are visiting Vietnam and then go to Cambodia and return to Vietnam for a couple of hours before we fly out of the county do I need to get 2 Vietnam visas or will one suffice since we are just transiting the airport and don’t plan to leave it?
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by waddy
If we are visiting Vietnam and then go to Cambodia and return to Vietnam for a couple of hours before we fly out of the county do I need to get 2 Vietnam visas or will one suffice since we are just transiting the airport and don’t plan to leave it?
Per past discussion in this thread the answer is no.... in theory. In practice, if you are on a single reservation transiting and not leaving the airport the answer is still no. If you are on a two separate tickets on different airlines, then some people have encountered issues at the airport where they first board particularly in the case of LCCs.

I have no recent experience with this but maybe someone else can provide more up to date feedback.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by waddy
It sounds as though you are going to enter Vietnam - maybe because you ae on separate tickets and need to collect bags, check-in. If this is the case, you'll need an entry visa.

If you are travelling with a two boarding passes (one for the flight to VN the other for your onward flight), and your bags are taken care of, you'll be fine transitting airside. If it's on separate tickets things get dodgier, even with hand-baggage.

It all get worse if you need a hard visa, rather than a visa on arrival (I don't know how that's working out right now): the Cambodia check-in may well demand a visa for a point to point Cambodia VN flight.

These are paryicularly strange times as ew come out of the Covid restrictions. Maybe bet not to take chances. You'll be safer, travel in a more relaxed mode, with a second visa. Maybe have a bonus stay in Vietnam
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
Thank you both. Traveling with kids so not going to risk it. I'll get two visas just incase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.