Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

2022 onward: Visa/VOA info for Vietnam

Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Copied from older thread; stephem was the last to edit.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

External Sources Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.
27 Nov 2022 - VOA information removed as it is no longer permitted, at least for those from the US

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Is anyone concerned about this? We got our booster shot in Nov 2021 - and planning Vietnam for August so it is beyond the 6 months. Would that mean I would not be allowed in, or would have to follow the quarantine rules?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:58 am

No need worry they have now dropped this requirement.
you can even enter the country unvaccinated now
Desirees and FlyingSloth like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Desirees
Is anyone concerned about this? We got our booster shot in Nov 2021 - and planning Vietnam for August so it is beyond the 6 months. Would that mean I would not be allowed in, or would have to follow the quarantine rules?
This applies to all countries, but especially to Vietnam: make sure you are reading official information rather than "proposals" in the news (Vietnam loves those!) or someone's repost they made on social media after failing to correctly comprehend what they were reading.

Here's the official requirements from Vietnam's Ministry of Health. It's in Vietnamese, but Google Translate does a good job.

There is no vaccination requirement to enter Vietnam.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: MP
I'm planning on visiting Vietnam in September 2022, I'm a US citizen that doesn't have any connections to anyone in Vietnam and need to get a tourist visa to enter the country. When applying for the e-visa I was told I needed a letter of approval from the department of immigration of Vietnam. I was hoping to hear the experiences of other Americans who successfully received a visa on what the requirements for application were and if the e-visa or sticker visa was simpler.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by mchen80
I'm planning on visiting Vietnam in September 2022, I'm a US citizen that doesn't have any connections to anyone in Vietnam and need to get a tourist visa to enter the country. When applying for the e-visa I was told I needed a letter of approval from the department of immigration of Vietnam. I was hoping to hear the experiences of other Americans who successfully received a visa on what the requirements for application were and if the e-visa or sticker visa was simpler.
You can easily get an e-visa through https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/home. Single entry visas only, so I had to get 2 back to back visas. A letter of approval is required only if you go through the embassy, and they don't tell you about this easy option. It only took 3-4 days to receive the e-visa.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by mchen80
For me, applying for the e-visa was straightforward. You mention when you would arrive to VN, which airport you would arrive to and which airport you will leave from. They ask you to pay the fee as well in Vietnamese Dong, so I would use a credit card that doesn't charge a foreign currency fee.
Make sure to leave from that airport as the immigration official checked my e-visa as I was departing Vietnam.

They do ask some personal questions such as your profession and religion, so it could be that this was what got you to need the letter of approval?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:01 pm

Just use the link from my previous post. It is quick and easy.

The "approval letter" is only required when you try to apply for an e-visa through the Embassy This is what I received when I tried that method:
"1. Due to Covid-19 pandemic, all policies for visa processing have been changed. Currently if you would like to apply for a visa to enter Vietnam, please submit your approval letter issued by the Immigration Department in Vietnam together with your visa application form, your passport photo and the ID page in your passport to the email [email protected].

2. If you are Vietnamese American or the spouse or children of Vietnamese Americans, you are eligible to apply for a visa exemption 5-year certificate. Please feel free to contact us through hotline number: 202-716-8666 or the email: [email protected] for more information.

3. There are some third parties who can help you to contact the Immigration Department in Vietnam for submitting and getting the approval letter. You can contact them directly for more information.

- Evivatour Vietnam: www.evivatour.com (Email: [email protected]);

- Thien Nam Tourist: Email: [email protected] / Hotlines: Mr Hai 0903.677184 - Mr Hong: 090.3764545;

- Viet Vision Travel: www.vietvisiontravel.com (Email: [email protected]);

The Embassy of Vietnam in Washington D.C will not be responsible for any problems or conflicts between you and these parties.

4. When you have the approval letter from the Immigration Department in Vietnam for your visa request, please feel free to contact us through our hotline number as 202-716-8666 or the email [email protected].

Regards,

Consular Office"
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by pjs
I remember the visa being pretty easy to get last time (unfortunately our old ones expire 9/2022) so I assume it's still fairly straightforward post-covid.
Takes 1-2 days
https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/kh...i-thuc-dien-tu

Last edited by lento; Jul 14, 2022 at 1:29 pm
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fromYXU
No. Just need proof of health insurance.
I thought the proof of medical insurance was lifted May 15th? Is showing a simple United Healthcare medical card sufficient?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:44 am

Vietnam evisa entry point

Hi,

I can't seem to find anyone else on this forum asking this same question (probably because folks don't rush through their research like I did).

I got my Vietnam E-visa with the Allowed Entry Checkpoint as Cat Bi International Airport (HPH) in Haiphong, which is what I put on my application because that is my destination. The flights that I can find from BLR or HYD in India (which is where I reside) all go through Ho Chi Minh (SGN). Honestly, I should have paid more attention when I was doing my research. I looked at SGN as the layover and in my mind, it registered as Singapore and I didn't bother looking closely.

So, if I book a flight to Cat Bi (HPH) from India, will I only pass through the transit area in Ho Chi Minh airport and make it to my next gate or is it likely that I will not be allowed to proceed because I arrived in SGN but my entry checkpoint is HPH? I have never traveled through Vietnam and would appreciate any info from folks that have.

Cheers.
Muggy
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Muggy
Hi,

I can't seem to find anyone else on this forum asking this same question (probably because folks don't rush through their research like I did).

I got my Vietnam E-visa with the Allowed Entry Checkpoint as Cat Bi International Airport (HPH) in Haiphong, which is what I put on my application because that is my destination. The flights that I can find from BLR or HYD in India (which is where I reside) all go through Ho Chi Minh (SGN). Honestly, I should have paid more attention when I was doing my research. I looked at SGN as the layover and in my mind, it registered as Singapore and I didn't bother looking closely.

So, if I book a flight to Cat Bi (HPH) from India, will I only pass through the transit area in Ho Chi Minh airport and make it to my next gate or is it likely that I will not be allowed to proceed because I arrived in SGN but my entry checkpoint is HPH? I have never traveled through Vietnam and would appreciate any info from folks that have.

Cheers.
Muggy
Your arrival point is Saigon. As that is where you will clear immigration.
If this will be a problem for your visa I can't tell you, my guess is being Vietnam it likely will be a problem.
Are you able to cancel that visa and do a new one?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:25 am

Ah, that is what I am afraid of. I cannot change the e-visa so I'll probably just apply for a new one.

Thank you, Firemansam. I appreciate your reply.
Firemansam likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:42 pm

I would suggest you submit this question on the evisa website: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/lien-he
I heard they do respond to queries submitted on their page.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:12 pm

Thanks, JacobNL. I have submitted a request but haven't heard back. It was probably a day or two before I posted here.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:05 am

Vietnam eVisa - when to apply? When does 30 day start?

I looked on the Vietnam eVisa site but couldn't find this really basic information so I am hoping someone here can answer. We will leave for Vietnam on December 17th. I know that the eVisa is only good for 30 days, but when does that 30 day period start? When the application is approved? Or can I apply for an eVisa now (in September) and indicate that I will need my eVisa for December-January? Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.