Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

2022 onward: Visa/VOA info for Vietnam

Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Copied from older thread; stephem was the last to edit.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

External Sources Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.
27 Nov 2022 - VOA information removed as it is no longer permitted, at least for those from the US

Print Wikipost

2022 onward: Visa/VOA info for Vietnam

Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You'll be fine. I had to get two visas for multiple entries. The first took 6 days or thereabouts to arrive. The second took 2 days. My data is from late November.
Thanks SanDiego1K , here's hoping!
Old Dec 21, 2022, 1:19 pm

Arrived SGN before 6 am. I printed a paper copy of the eVisa and also a pdf copy on my phone. Shown the phone copy to gate agent at SFO. She was fine with it. Arrived at SGN on business class and was one of the first at the immigration counter. Had the phone on the eVisa ready and put it on the counter for the officer to see. He had no interest whatsoever. The officer never even asked for anything other than going through the passport and then I was off in a minute.

BTW, this is off topic a bit but I withdrawn cash at the Citibank ATM by the exit door. The rate Chase used to convert was 0.000042195 or about 2.36995, so I think it is a pretty good rate.
rjh and sambagrrl07 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by daftboy
Thanks SanDiego1K , here's hoping!
Hello daftboy, may I know if you have have received your Evisa? Many thanks!
I applied mine on Sunday (18 Dec) Vietnam time, thought it will take three working days (Mon-Wed). Now it is Thur noon at Vietnam and still havent received the visa, and I am having an evening flight to VN on Fri night.....
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AppleChan
Hello daftboy, may I know if you have have received your Evisa? Many thanks!
I applied mine on Sunday (18 Dec) Vietnam time, thought it will take three working days (Mon-Wed). Now it is Thur noon at Vietnam and still havent received the visa, and I am having an evening flight to VN on Fri night.....
Hi Applechan - thankfully I can confirm my evisa was confirmed today, the email arrived at 6am GMT (so 1pm in Vietnam) - that was 6 business days from when I first submitted (and 5 business days from when I responded to a request to edit my name information)
SanDiego1K and sambagrrl07 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Any advice on getting an evisa extended? Applied for the 30 day visa for my mother who's travelling there in February. Total stay is 45 days. She will be in both HCM and Hanoi during the trip. Understand a local agent is required to obtain the extension as the immigration office doesn't take applications directly any more. Is that right? Any advice appreciated!
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:43 pm

Apply for a 90 day visa instead?

If you haven't travelled already why not try, it will save having to worry about I when in country.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Apply for a 90 day visa instead?.
I can only find description of 30 day visas. The US government site goes to this Vietnamese site that speaks of 30 days max.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/we...trang-chu-ttdt

Vietnam E-visa is valid for maximum of 30 days, single entry.

Edited to add:

This page speaks of a 90 day visa.

https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/apply-online/
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:26 am

Seems like the only way to get a 90 day visa is by visiting the embassy but there are no appointments available in London until after shes travelled.

Last edited by krayZpaving; Dec 29, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:12 am

We're just back from a 3 month stay in Vietnam.
In September, when we left home, there were no 3-month visa options, even through the embassy (Norway).
We did 2 visa runs to Cambodia from HCMC by car. It cost a fair bit (including a Cambodian visa for a 30 second walk on Cambodian territory each time) but otherwise went quite smoothly. Border runs are also possible to Laos but entail a longer bus/car ride.
The other option is to fly out to a neighbouring country or BKK for example. Some have the nerves to do this in on a day return.

As far as I know this hasn't changed so your mother will likely have to do 1 visa-run, either by car or by air. Hope she has a great visit!
Happy to answer any questions.
krayZpaving likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by CalmKaren
We're just back from a 3 month stay in Vietnam.
In September, when we left home, there were no 3-month visa options, even through the embassy (Norway).
We did 2 visa runs to Cambodia from HCMC by car. It cost a fair bit (including a Cambodian visa for a 30 second walk on Cambodian territory each time) but otherwise went quite smoothly. Border runs are also possible to Laos but entail a longer bus/car ride.
The other option is to fly out to a neighbouring country or BKK for example. Some have the nerves to do this in on a day return.

As far as I know this hasn't changed so your mother will likely have to do 1 visa-run, either by car or by air. Hope she has a great visit!
Happy to answer any questions.
thanks! Did you investigate visa extension and find that a visa run was better or just did a visa run without going too deep on the extension option?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:31 am

Yes, I did investigate with regards to the extension of the 30 day e-visa. I spent many, many hours trawling the net for information. All I could find was information that extensions are currently not possible.
I also visited the Vietnamese Embassy here (Oslo) and their info was very clear: leaving and re-entering the country was the only way to stay longer than 30 days.
I found the Vietnam Tripadvisor forum very helpful. There are a few posters there who are very knowledgeable about current visa regulations.

(Tip: make sure you apply for the second e-visa in good time. The 3 business days mentioned on the e-visa web site is not always adhered to)
krayZpaving likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:10 pm

Struggling with the online e-visa application.

Was successful with 1 adult application. Then was good for another application for child.

But then next 2 applications, 1 adult and 1 infant, do not seem to go through, always saying payment not accepted, even though we have tried same and other credit cards.

Has anyone gotten stuck at this payment processing step? Frustrating because it makes you start all over when there is payment problem. Ugh.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by ahchiu
Struggling with the online e-visa application.

Was successful with 1 adult application. Then was good for another application for child.

But then next 2 applications, 1 adult and 1 infant, do not seem to go through, always saying payment not accepted, even though we have tried same and other credit cards.

Has anyone gotten stuck at this payment processing step? Frustrating because it makes you start all over when there is payment problem. Ugh.
Yes I have many times. I eventually got my tour agent to help me with it. It is an online payment issue they have.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 5:33 am

Just FYI, US citizen here, so e-visa required. Official e-visa website states 3 day processing time. Mine was actually 8 days. (And if you are eligible for VOA, note that I arrived at HAN yesterday...the line at the visa counter was quite long. And that is before immigration.)
Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:58 pm

So I have my evisa for April but on the website it says that it is single entry only. We're planning to meet family in HMC for a few days, then fly to Phuket, and then to Danang/Hoi An. Will we have trouble returning or will it work?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.