Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali - Volcano high risk

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Bali - Volcano high risk

Anyone know if airlines are offering waviers on flights to Bali. (They are not) Seeing on the news that they anticipate a major eruption. Scheduled to fly out in 12 hours and attempting to get the carrier on the line.

Any one have any words of wisdom ?

Have a prepaid stay at st Regis booked as well. Left them a message.

guess we will be playing by ear. Hopefully we don't get stuck in Bali

Thanks

Last edited by footastic; Sep 23, 2017 at 12:59 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Do you have travel insurance covering nature events?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yeah have good coverage on flights with CSR - hotel is 4th nite free on CitiPrestige believe they both have okay insurances for this. About to call Citi to confirm.

Big thing is I don't wanna be stuck on Bali if ash hits DPS for a few days/weeks. I think the only way off would be via a ferry to java at that point.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I just checked into Amankila today which is much closer than Nusa Dua. So far we seem just fine. People are on Alert but what can you do.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ah. Good luck up that way looks like you will have a good view so long as it doesn't blow and cancel my flight, I'll be on the island tomw
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by footastic
Yeah have good coverage on flights with CSR
Two years ago I checked with Chase regarding travel interruption benefits coming with Sapphire. They told me that flight cancellations and hotel stays due to natural cataclysms are not covered.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:57 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by invisible
Two years ago I checked with Chase regarding travel interruption benefits coming with Sapphire. They told me that flight cancellations and hotel stays due to natural cataclysms are not covered.
CSR covers "natural disasters and severe weather" - Citi prestige looks the same "You can’t travel because severe weather, a natural disaster or a labor dispute causes all travel to or from your destination to stop for at least 24 hours."

Not sure how the CSP is on this as I no longer have this card.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
In the same "boat" ... on my way to Bali when I read about the undersea earthquake and then the volcano alert gets upgraded. I can't risk being stranded on Bali so am making a detour to Sri Lanka instead. Insurance only helps if the event happens, not in minimizing one's risk to the event. In the end, I'm out of pocket a bit but paying for less uncertainty. Hotel was most accomodating in my case.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:10 am

Wisest post here so far! The Indonesians do not have a record of false alarms when it comes to volcano warnings, and the current warnings are about as clear as can be that Agung is going to blow. Nonsense to feel secure because everything is fine now. Of course everything will be fine till the eruption starts.

I'd probably stay if I were an expat living around Denpasar, but as a tourist needing to fly out again in the next few weeks I'd exit ASAP.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:39 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Here's a link for avaiation warnings in Indonesia.

May be helpful.

https://magma.vsi.esdm.go.id/vona/
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by footastic

I think the only way off would be via a ferry to java at that point.
Yep. I've done the ferry a few times. Banyuwangi (BWX), Jember (JBB) and Surabaya (SUB) are the closest airports once you get to Java but they are all subject to closure depending on the wind in the event of an eruption. I've been nailed a few times in the past five years due to airport closures in Surabaya due to volcanic activity, not fun.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:05 am

Folks, please note - if becomes reality that getting out via ferry is the only realistic option - expect that tickets for foreigners will cost more than plane tickets. Locals will cash this opportunity on a big scale.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Folks, please note - if becomes reality that getting out via ferry is the only realistic option - expect that tickets for foreigners will cost more than plane tickets. Locals will cash this opportunity on a big scale.
Ferry between Gilimanuk (Bali) and Ketapang (Java) or Padangbai (Bali) and Lembar (Lombok) or any other ferry service run by state owned company ASDP is run at fixed rate.

If you're talking about wooden boat or private fast ferry, then yes.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
SQ (and it's related subsidiaries) offering Travel waiver for flights booked for Sept 23-Oct 2

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/news-alert/?id=j7vdusqz

More airlines should be more proactive like this IMO.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I had a connection to CGK via DPS in about a week and a half. I've rebooked to avoid DPS. Could be a cluster if the ash blows south.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.