Wiki Posts
Search

Bali - Volcano high risk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:14 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Planning to hit up Bali in late March/early April. I'm flying into CGK. In case the volcano starts volcano-ing again, does anyone have any alternate suggestions for a beach destination a reasonable distance from Jakarta? I'm 99% sure it won't be a problem but I'd like to have a backup plan just in case something happens and I'm unable to get to Bali.
I was in Singapore, on my way to Bali, when the airport closed. I endedup going to Langkawi. Worked out well. I split my time between the St. Regis - beautiful with a large gorgeous beach - and The Andaman, which is in the jungle and also has a beach. The other place I considered was Krabi.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by l'etoile

I was in Singapore, on my way to Bali, when the airport closed. I endedup going to Langkawi. Worked out well. I split my time between the St. Regis - beautiful with a large gorgeous beach - and The Andaman, which is in the jungle and also has a beach. The other place I considered was Krabi.
Thanks for the fast response. My first thought was Langkwai as well.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
In case the volcano starts volcano-ing again.
Again, its not about eruptions, its about wind direction.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:18 am

Another small closure thursday/friday due to ash cloud. Airport reopening Friday 6/29 at 1900 local is the plan.

Bali Airport Closed
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Arrived back on in Sydney from Bali about a week ago. On the last day we sat at the beach and said "I wish the volcano would explode and then we'd pack and go back to Nusa Dua".

I wasn't able to get coverage for this from my travel insurance that was booked in approximately February. That wasn't a problem. I was happy to stay longer and pay for my own accommodation. My travel agent said last eruption was a nightmare as she kept getting calls from people saying they had no money to put themselves up for an unexpected night's accommodations. Who would travel without being able to afford an unexpected $50.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Just watched as Batik Air 6659 just flew to the East of the volcano. Bet those folks got an amazing view !
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Who would travel without being able to afford an unexpected $50.
I often see people and behavior in Bali that makes me wonder how they afforded to fly there in the first place...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I often see people and behavior in Bali that makes me wonder how they afforded to fly there in the first place...
So true. Although these people probably would spend $50 on Bintang but not accommodation when they are homeless.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Given all the competition and cheap airlines flying to Bali these days, it wouldn't be too hard/expensive to fly to Bali.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.