Bali - Volcano high risk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali - Volcano high risk

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Ferry between Gilimanuk (Bali) and Ketapang (Java) is supposed to take 30-45 minutes. Getting from the tourist areas to Gilimanuk - 2 to 3 hours...

Hopefully by mid November things will be "more defined".

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by wandering_fred

Hopefully by mid November things will be "more defined".
I think you're right. I would imagine by then we will know what this is going to look like and the longer term travel implications.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:41 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
St Regis just reviewed alternatives for transit out of the airport shuts down. Sounds like they are pretty well prepaired.

Hopefully it holds off a day as we are out early afternoon
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Does anyone remember how long the ash stuck around for last time they had the volcanic eruption? How long were flights delayed for? Days? Weeks?
I remember it, but didn't take too much notice of it since it didn't effect me :|
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:13 am

Not sure about the last eruption in Indonesia, but I remember years ago the one in Iceland closed down a lot of the European airspace for about a week.

Originally Posted by oh_lol
Does anyone remember how long the ash stuck around for last time they had the volcanic eruption? How long were flights delayed for? Days? Weeks?
I remember it, but didn't take too much notice of it since it didn't effect me :|
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:57 pm

I am not sure many flights were delayed since this volcano last erupted in 1963, but that eruption lasted for about a year. When / If this eruption occurs, issues at the airport will depend on wind direction and where the ash is in the upper atmosphere, as well as the current eruption intensity of the volcano.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
When / If this eruption occurs, issues at the airport will depend on wind direction and where the ash is in the upper atmosphere, as well as the current eruption intensity of the volcano.
Yep, and DPS might not be the only airport affected.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
The thing with the ash cloud is that it can vary. I was booked to fly DPS YOG to visit Borobodur in 2010, on the saturday and sunday YOG was closed - on the day I travelled it was open. Mt Merapi was still erupting, but the wind was blowing the other way so safe to fly in and out.
I am booked to DPS on Nov 4 and out on Dec 2, at this stage I am not concerned. If I get stuck in Bali how awesome - extended vacation. It looks like it might erupt, but volcanoes are unpredictiable, it might be a pressure release, it might be warming up for something amazing.
The thing that does concern me, is that suddenly the tourism dies, I visited Bali 1 month after the Sari Club incident in 2002, the streets were empty, the local people who have shops, restaurants, transport and other tourist related business's were going hungry. Families were being split up as the income earner could not afford to rent a house in the tourist area - so rented a single room and sent his wife and children back to the village. we the travellers have created a tourism industry we have a resonsibility to ensure that income is still there.
The airlines are monitoring - as of 6am this morning local time - there was no change.

Carpe Diem Bali is a wonderful destination please keep going
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Yep, and DPS might not be the only airport affected.
Correct. I suspect SUB will be part of the show (and maybe more likely to be impacted than DPS).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Correct. I suspect SUB will be part of the show (and maybe more likely to be impacted than DPS).
That's my fear since I'm flying back into SUB next week.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There were different delays for different airlines as volcano was not in Bali, and depended on their appetite for risk and damage (ash does wonders to windshields and engines). Disruption in total was for 3 weeks but some flights operated on a few days during that period. I know someone who was stuck for 6 days. The current eruption is expected to be greater impact, when it happens.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Well I'm off to Bali this Sunday (1st Oct), so hopefully I make it. As long as I get there, I don't mind being 'stuck' in Bali
adampenrith likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:09 am

Thought I would mention I was able to get my hotel I had booked for a quick 3 day transit on the 7th next month (Novotel Nusa Dua) to allow me to re-book to my December transit since I have rebooked my flights to Jakarta via Makassar instead of Bali. This is on a base rate / non refundable.

Also, a cool website (most text in Bahasa)
https://magma.vsi.esdm.go.id/
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Office Statement

Here's an official statement from the Indonesian government.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Frankly, no tourism agency is going to state that tourists should not come. For each person, it depends on their ability to withstand risk and the cost (not just financial) of being delayed when the volcano decides to erupt. If you're retired or can work remotely from wherever you are, then great. For others, it's not so straightforward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.