Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali - Volcano high risk

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by number_6
The economic impact on Bali and their people has been huge ... over $100 million in lost tourist spending already from the volcano this year. Hard to judge the risk, but so far the disruption has been minimal with flight cnacellations being for only a few days. Worst case it could be another Krakatoa. Best case no further disruptions; both are unlikely.
I bet its larger than that. Lost in the estimates is lots of business travel that is transiting Jakarta instead for several months now even before the eruptions began in actuality.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I bet its larger than that. Lost in the estimates is lots of business travel that is transiting Jakarta instead for several months now even before the eruptions began in actuality.
I would agree that it's likely larger as well. Without getting into too many details, the hospitality segment of the company I work for has experienced a significant decline in revenue in Bali over the past three months. Revenue has been flat and or up in other areas of Indonesia where we operate (East Java, West Java, Sumatra, and Sulawesi).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:23 am

Will this affect travels in April? I have a trip plan and was going to purchase tickets this week.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Deafchick
Will this affect travels in April? I have a trip plan and was going to purchase tickets this week.
It all depends on the wind direction.
Currently, the westerlies are predominant, which are fine for DPS airport. What you don't want are northerly and/or easterly winds, which are not common, but quite possible at this time of the year.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:49 pm

Your prediction would be as valid as any other. It's nature.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Don't for heaven's sake place your trust in opinions about this expressed in an online forum! Or indeed opinions emanating from Indonesia's tourism authority. Truth is, no-one knows. Weather we can forecast with varying degrees of accuracy: the movement of tectonic plates and the flow of magma tend to defeat predictions.

Of course, from a hundred predictions, one or two will be more or less in line with events. But that's serendipity, not evidence-based forecasting.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I have a trip here in late May for a wedding...it's in the southern part of Bali, which is further away from the volcano, so hopefully there are no issues with flying in. I booked with a revenue ticket to SIN on the way over and award tickets the rest of the way, so I will be very much up a creek if things go sideways when it comes to IRROPS...
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:36 pm

I'm going there in April on SQ on nonrefundable J, but it sounds (from what they did in Nov) like if the airport is closed or the volcano becomes super active again, they'd be able to reschedule it for free. One of my stays there is at Amankila which is kinda close to the volcano region... fingers crossed!!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Was wondering what the risks involved would be for someone staying at Amankila. If in case of a eruption flight delays are one, what else would the risk be?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by onlysuites
If in case of a eruption flight delays are one
Not necessarily. Agung erupted last Monday without effect on DPS.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:14 pm

Was wondering what the risks involved would be for someone staying at Amankila. If in case of a eruption flight delays are one, what else would the risk be?
Obviously it could run the gambit. But focused on travel plans only and ignoring the possibility of potential physical harm, besides flight delays the one I would think of is if for some reason the Aman was involved in an evacuation zone. That would potentially be a huge hassle. Seems very low percentage of that happening though, since although on the side of the island kind of near Agung, it wasn't in any evac zone earlier this year AFAIK.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maverick17
Obviously it could run the gambit. But focused on travel plans only and ignoring the possibility of potential physical harm, besides flight delays the one I would think of is if for some reason the Aman was involved in an evacuation zone. That would potentially be a huge hassle. Seems very low percentage of that happening though, since although on the side of the island kind of near Agung, it wasn't in any evac zone earlier this year AFAIK.
I thought it was quite some distance from Agung?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:12 am

I thought it was quite some distance from Agung?
I mean I'm not saying it's likely - just saying you asked if any other risks besides flights and that's the only one I can think of for travel issues.

It's about 25 km almost due south of the volcano. It's closer to the mountain than Nusa Dua, the airport, and Kuta etc. by a decent amount. But it's still far enough away it's extremely unlikely to be in an evacuation zone IMO. It was not included in the evac zone a few months ago, afaik. So again, it's a very low probability, but the only one I can think of that might be troublesome besides the flight delays in your scenario.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:39 pm

Well, when it erupted last Monday I was in a villa 9km away and didn't even notice.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Planning to hit up Bali in late March/early April. I'm flying into CGK. In case the volcano starts volcano-ing again, does anyone have any alternate suggestions for a beach destination a reasonable distance from Jakarta? I'm 99% sure it won't be a problem but I'd like to have a backup plan just in case something happens and I'm unable to get to Bali.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.