Reload this Page >

Bali - Volcano high risk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali - Volcano high risk

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:10 pm

A volcano on Sumatra blew this morning. Supposedly the area was on high alert since 2015. Also another in Japan just woke up and erupted today too.

ring of fire seems as unstable as my ex girlfriend. In manado right now, headed to bali next week.

I feel like this volcano is definitely going to impact my trip. Oh well.

at least there's minimal concern for physical danger. Will be in ubud and seminyak.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
A volcano on Sumatra blew this morning. Supposedly the area was on high alert since 2015. Also another in Japan just woke up and erupted today too.

ring of fire seems as unstable as my ex girlfriend. In manado right now, headed to bali next week.

I feel like this volcano is definitely going to impact my trip. Oh well.

at least there's minimal concern for physical danger. Will be in ubud and seminyak.

Currently sitting in my villa overlooking the rain splashing around my infinity pool in Ubud. Business as usual here, haven't felt any tremors since arriving in Bali 2 days ago. By no means am I saying everyone shouldn't be taking precautions with a potential airport shutdown, but on a positive note, all these cancellations really thinned out the crowds. I wasn't planning on doing any type of fine dining during my stay, but after seeing how beautiful these restaurants are, I've been making reservations day of without a hitch.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by SQ007
I wasn't planning on doing any type of fine dining during my stay, but after seeing how beautiful these restaurants are, I've been making reservations day of without a hitch.
Definitely go to Restaurant Locavore. Also Mozaic is the other well know establishment in Ubud.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by oh_lol
Definitely go to Restaurant Locavore. Also Mozaic is the other well know establishment in Ubud.
Locavore was amazing, decided to try Bridges over Mozaic due to the scenery and it did not disappoint. Not sure if the food in Ubud is really that good, or if the value proposition adds on to the flavor. We have not had a bad meal yet, cheap or "expensive".
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:04 am

Seismic activity seems to be dying down the last few days, but alert is still at the highest level. I have a trip there planned next April, hoping Agung will go back to sleep soon!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Government just downgraded the risk. Just in time—heading there in two days!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:15 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/bal...olcano-erupts/

Looks like it just had a small eruption. Airport is still open. Hopefully it'll go back to sleep after this!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We just got back from Bali. The volcano acted up a day after we were there. Most people aren't worried.

Originally Posted by SQ007
Locavore was amazing, decided to try Bridges over Mozaic due to the scenery and it did not disappoint. Not sure if the food in Ubud is really that good, or if the value proposition adds on to the flavor. We have not had a bad meal yet, cheap or "expensive".
I was told about Locavore and Mozaic before we left home. The Locavore menu is the same for lunch and dinner. Expensive. When looking at the menu, there were lots of unusual things on it. Since it was impossible to get a dinner reservation, and since I wasn't paying dinner prices for lunch, we passed. It's a very casual place. They have Locavore To Go across the street. We went there instead. Mostly a sandwich place. We spent under $20 USD there for 2.
That's expensive in Ubud.

​​​​​​​ I did book dinner reservations at Mozaic. By the way, all 'hotels' will provide transportation to/from anywhere that's close by. Mozaic is a pretty place. Since it rained earlier, we had dinner inside. They have 2 set menus, each offering a 6 or 8 course meal. One use local ingredients. The other is food of the world. The 6 course was plenty. The local menu was about $51 USD for 6 course. If I recall correctly, the food of the world was roughly $85USD. They do add tax/tip of 21% to your final bill. Cost for drinks is extra. It's a Michelin rated place. The food and service was perfection. It was one of the best meals we've ever eaten. And the more I think about it the last week, the more I want to go back.

We wanted to eat at Bridge for lunch, but our massage schedule didn't permit it. Bridge was reasonably priced for lunch.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Bali volcano activity prompts 'red warning' for airlines

Airlines have been issued a "red warning" about the danger of volcanic ash in the skies close to Bali after Mount Agung emitted a thick plume of smoke reaching 4,000m (13,100 feet).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42126284
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Airlines have been issued a "red warning" about the danger of volcanic ash in the skies close to Bali after Mount Agung emitted a thick plume of smoke reaching 4,000m (13,100 feet).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42126284
I don't quite see the relevance to the BA board, as BA doesn't fly to DPS or CGK?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thought it might have relevance to some flights/connections if it gets worse.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by florens
I don't quite see the relevance to the BA board, as BA doesn't fly to DPS or CGK?
Is this not close enough?
CoweyB, EuropeanPete and Globalist like this.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this not close enough? Two random recent BA15 tracks:-
Fair enough, however, I suspect this flight is cruising above 4000m.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat

Departures board at DPS yesterday.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by florens
Fair enough, however, I suspect this flight is cruising above 4000m.
That's what the volcano has done so far, and it hasn't even erupted yet. I suspect that nobody has forgotten BA9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.