Bali - Volcano high risk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali - Volcano high risk

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Yup. For me, Bali was just a quick transit on the way to somewhere I REALLY want to be. Not worth the risk when I can easily change my flight/transit to avoid Bali. If I was going to Bali for vacation, I would have just stuck with it.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
DPS is the cheapest way to get from SE Asia to PER not arriving between 1800 and 0600 but still flying with credit to QF (or OW)

Just wandering
Fred
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
How long do volcano warnings stay in place? Just curious as I have a wedding to be at that is supposed to take place in Bali (albeit in the southern portion of the island) in 8 months.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
How long do volcano warnings stay in place? Just curious as I have a wedding to be at that is supposed to take place in Bali (albeit in the southern portion of the island) in 8 months.
Typically until the danger has passed. This particular volcano has not erupted since 1963. Then, it erupted on and off for about a year.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow. They cancelled all diving at Tulamben. Sounds like most tourists have left Amed as well. I wish that volcano would blow and get it over with, this waiting must be excruciating for the local people.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
Wow. They cancelled all diving at Tulamben. Sounds like most tourists have left Amed as well. I wish that volcano would blow and get it over with, this waiting must be excruciating for the local people.
Tulamben is very close to the volcano. That's how the USAT liberty wreck ended up in the water there to start with. Some of the local Tulamben dive outfits are operating out of remote sites in the safe zone.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Tulamben is very close to the volcano. That's how the USAT liberty wreck ended up in the water there to start with. Some of the local Tulamben dive outfits are operating out of remote sites in the safe zone.
Yes, been diving there for 20 years : )
(And very glad since The Liberty could be nothing more than a fond memory soon!)
It just didn't hit me unitil today when I saw my local friends are leaving. Amed is technically not within the "danger zone" even though it's a few miles up the road. They say it's a ghost town, everyone just wishing it'll be over soon and not too much damage.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
This sucks. Especially for the locals whose livelihood depends on the tourist economy.

For myself I’ve booked a flight from SIN to DPS on MI on 18th Oct to 22nd Oct. while I’m ready to forfeit the ticket and no show, would like to at least try to get a refund or rebook with as little cost as possible.

Received only one reply from MI stating they only allow cancellation/rebooking at no cost up to 9th Oct and any flights beyond the date are not eligible. Any further queries sent in were unanswered.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:17 am

Is there a particular reliable newspaper or other site that folks recommend to check for updates on this? We're booked for early to mid December, and I had thought this would be resolved by then. But reading DeepUnderground's Post #36 makes me think probably not.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by markprice22
Is there a particular reliable newspaper or other site that folks recommend to check for updates on this? We're booked for early to mid December, and I had thought this would be resolved by then. But reading DeepUnderground's Post #36 makes me think probably not.
Not a "newspaper", but she's way more plugged in and academic than any newspaper you'll find: https://twitter.com/janinekrippner
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Not a "newspaper", but she's way more plugged in and academic than any newspaper you'll find: https://twitter.com/janinekrippner
Thank you. Great resources. Much better than what was coming up on Google, which unfortunately included some fake news.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Well I've finished my trip to Bali, arrived on the 1st, and back on the 10th.
Once I arrived, there is literally no news or talk of the volcano. I asked a few locals such as Uber drivers, waiters etc, and they all don't have a care in the world about it.
I spoke to a waiter who said he lives in a village by the volcano, and he also seemed to not worry about it, saying he makes the trip there every few days to see his family.
Only thing I noticed is that it's a lot less busier than usual.
Anyways, whoever is travelling to Bali in the near future, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it happens, it happens, there's nothing you can do about it.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by markprice22
Thank you. Great resources. Much better than what was coming up on Google, which unfortunately included some fake news.
Really. I found one fake news source with an actual photo of the volcano spewing lava. It turned out it was not even Indonesia!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:03 am

Have a trip planned to Ubud and Sanur November 24-December 1. I'm making back up plans for Langkawi in case we need to divert our trip at the last minute. Really thought this volcano would have erupted or calmed down by now.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dan9124
Have a trip planned to Ubud and Sanur November 24-December 1. I'm making back up plans for Langkawi in case we need to divert our trip at the last minute. Really thought this volcano would have erupted or calmed down by now.
We felt tremors in Kuta lsat night from a 4.5 earthquake centred a couple of hundred kilometres south of Bali.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...aqt8#executive

i think the one before this, in September, was stronger, and north of the island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.