Search

Indonesia extend visa free to 45 countries

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Seems they both don't want tourists..

Seriously, they expect rich European countries to let their (mostly) poor population go visa-free?

Reciprocity is a pretty well-established way these things work. Indonesia, Egypt, Turkey and whole host of countries require a visa from the citizens of the European countries you mention, but essentially they are entry taxes rather than the hassle-heavy visa application system faced by Indonesian and Egyptians (etc) wanting to visit Europe.

There are reasons why I like to go to Malaysia. One is the fact I don't have to fill out arrival card crap, or hand over money to enter a country..

Next holiday I just decided now: Malaysia, not Indonesia.
Sure, I too would rather not pay USD35 to Indonesia, in the same way I'd prefer not to stump up money to pay my ESTA fee to get into the US. But, to be honest, I'm not overly fussed by paying an entry fee to enter a country I want to visit. I certainly wouldn't select a holiday destination on the basis of fee or no fee. I can absorb the cost in a much wider travel budget.

That said, I do de-select countries from my visiting list where the visa process becomes cumbersome. Although I love India i stay away unless i can build a leisure visit on a business trip visa: I've yet go to Russia, and China has only seen me on short TWOV visits.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:21 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Seems they both don't want tourists..

Seriously, they expect rich European countries to let their (mostly) poor population go visa-free?

Sri Lanka already shot it's tourism in it's feet with it's visa-on-arrival crap.

There are reasons why I like to go to Malaysia. One is the fact I don't have to fill out arrival card crap, or hand over money to enter a country..

Next holiday I just decided now: Malaysia, not Indonesia.
It's the status quo. Before, you could get a VoA, and now, you still need to. Are tourist numbers going to drop significantly? Doubt it. Can't say most travelers are necessarily savvy to the recent visa kerfuffle anyway.

Not to mention, a $10 increase in the visa fee will hardly put off the newer wave of tourists, say from Russia or China.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indonesia extend visa free to 45 countries

If you're fussed about $35 then you get agitated to easily. I'd much rather have a holiday in Vietnam or Bali than in Thailand or Malaysia and the existence of a visa on arrival fee of a few dollars won't change my opinion on that. Just the same as the $20 fee to enter OZ isn't gonna put me off visiting Melbourne. I go where I wish and if that country has a visa fee then I pay it.

What I don't appreciate is BS visa applications like what Russia asks of its visitors.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
It's the status quo. Before, you could get a VoA, and now, you still need to. Are tourist numbers going to drop significantly? Doubt it. Can't say most travelers are necessarily savvy to the recent visa kerfuffle anyway.

Not to mention, a $10 increase in the visa fee will hardly put off the newer wave of tourists, say from Russia or China.
Really. I can't imagine that would put anyone off. If you don't have an extra ten bucks you should probably be looking for a better job instead of travelling.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
What I don't appreciate is BS visa applications like what Russia asks of its visitors.
+1. This is the worst case I know.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Although it was for a business visa, when I applied for an Indonesian employment visa in 2008, I had to send 50 passport photos specifically with a red background.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
...when I applied for an Indonesian employment visa in 2008, I had to send 50 passport photos specifically with a red background.
Yikes! what was the job ?

Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yikes! what was the job ?

...it was just to become a teacher. Bizarre, eh?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I will visit Indonesia next month, will report if visas still required for US citizens.

But surely someone on FlyerTalk from one of the 30 new countries will arrive at DPS before the end of May. Reports of experience on the ground welcome.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
I'm going to CGK this Sunday and am Canadian. Will report back here as well. I looked up the Indonesian HK consulate website and their site for the embassy in Canada and both still show VOA is required.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Although it was for a business visa, when I applied for an Indonesian employment visa in 2008, I had to send 50 passport photos specifically with a red background.
50?!! Wow, I usually have to submit 2 lately.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm planning to travel in June, so hopefully the Balinese Government has managed to make their mind up by then.

Until then, will keep fingers crossed. $35 p/p is a lot of added Bintang!

And oh-boy... I last visited Bali in 2011, and I used a fast track service for my VoA - it was a really hectic experience and I was glad we purchased it to skip what would have been hours waiting on a 9pm flight arrival. Reading all the other threads: FastTrack is allowed, FastTrack isn't allowed, yes VoA, no VoA... They sure haven't made the shift to the new airport smooth.

Last edited by MagicWok; Apr 30, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old May 2, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
As of this week, Four Seasons is saying that visa-free entry has not been implemented yet at DPS Bali airport. No indication of when it will be. I'm advised to have the visa fee ready for my late-May arrival.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MagicWok
Balinese Government
Bali is a province in the Republic of Indonesia.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The Indonesian government usually moves slow. They'll generally get it done, but I rarely believe their time schedules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.