Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do while in Bali - the good and what not to do

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by awardticket
Airbnb is exactly the type of site I was looking for thank you!!
Depending on your budget and how many rooms you need, here are a few listings I was considering:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/689523
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/662367

let us know which one you go with.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: various
Are there any good resources to help me find accomodations in Bali? Took some books out of library, and did a lot of online searching, but have had trouble finding a suiable villa for our Bali stay. Looking for something nice in Ubud as well as Amed.
It's been a few years, but in Ubud I stayed at Kajane Mua in their Beji Villa and loved it. Boutique property, great location, great service. They now have a sister property a short distance up the road from Amed--Kajane Tulamben which looks pretty nice. Might be an option for you.
www.kajane.com

On that coast, I've stayed up the coast at Sambirenteng Village at Agung Bali Nirwana, nice and secluded but might be too far from Amed for you if you're there for the diving. You'll have to arrange a car to go anywhere though.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
It's been a few years, but in Ubud I stayed at Kajane Mua in their Beji Villa and loved it. Boutique property, great location, great service. They now have a sister property a short distance up the road from Amed--Kajane Tulamben which looks pretty nice. Might be an option for you.
www.kajane.com

On that coast, I've stayed up the coast at Sambirenteng Village at Agung Bali Nirwana, nice and secluded but might be too far from Amed for you if you're there for the diving. You'll have to arrange a car to go anywhere though.
Thanks I am looking into Kajane. Another thing I am considering is renting a villa with a pool on Lovina, besides for Ubud, which may have beginner shore diving (still looking into that, as I wanna get certified). It is funny because I have travelled extensively and always stay in Western hotels like Sheratons, Hiltons etc but for Bali it look like there are so many lovely villas with more of a local flavor.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
Depending on your budget and how many rooms you need, here are a few listings I was considering:

Wow these both look great. I think for once my wife will be excited to travel too!! The villas you linked are so so cool and so affordable! Really tough call between them, added them to my wish list. I was thinking I would need to spend at least 200 hundred USD a night. You really ruined me btw by telling me about airbnb, I have spent hours today just looking at all their villas, lol!!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:51 pm

I am planning on spending from a Monday to the following Tuesday or Wednesday in Bali. As I mentioned I want to learn how to dive on my trip, however I do not love the options for staying in Tulamben and Amed does not seem to have much shore diving, which I would like, as my wife does not dive.

Would spending Monday till Thursday in Lovina, then Thursday till Sun in Ubud followed by the last 2-3 days in either Nusa Dua or Seminiyak make sense?

Is it foolish to spend any time in Lovina at all (if it is a dump I will just stay in Tulamben)? Also is there any easy way to get in the Batur volcanoe or a dive in Tulamben once I am certified en route between my destinations? Is this trip too rushed? I do not really have an easy way of spending more time in Bali.

I am sorry if there is to much info here, any opinions tips etc, are appreciated
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:40 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I don't think there's a human rabies vaccine so better to stay away from the critters.
There is, but it's pretty expensive.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_g...cinations.html
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, lessee...have any young kids carry the food while in the Monkey Forest (be sure to bring extra and carry in pockets) and then show 'em "The Wizard of Oz" on DVD that night ("Look, those monkeys can fly!") That'll change their view of monkeys for a good long time

Seriously, though, when I was there you got pestered too much by all the hawkers around Kuta. Ubud was the cheaper, more culturally serious area. Car daytours are often a good idea for surface-hitting things that might otherwise be a logistical challenge to get to, though they do sometimes overdo the visit-the-artisans-and-the-gift-shop thing. Besakih, like Kuta, had too many hawkers and was chaotic (not unlike the scene outside the Grand Palace in Bangkok), but still a must-see.

Many of the problems stem from too many people trying to eke out a living from the tourism, but it's still a beautiful island with great cutlural offerings.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:54 am

I am in Bali for 10 days next week, think I might get bored somewhat so thinking of hopping over to Komodo for 1 night 2 days. What are the practicalities of doing this? Do a lot of people do it? Would I need to join a tourgroup?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:02 pm

Do you have prior experience using Airbnb? Wanna book one of these 2 properties but was just curious what to expect. Are places like these really the primary residence of someone who just sleeps in a side room or the like while you pay them to take over their house? If that's the case do you feel like you are in someone's bedroom, bathroom etc or is more similar to a hotel room that you kind of phase out the fact that other ppl stayed there?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:30 am

No, awardticket, I have never booked through airbnb. I only just learned of it recently. I was possibly going to use the site for some stays on Bali but ended up booking at a local hotel in Amed, a villa in Ubud booked at agoda.com and a villa in Sanur booked direct.

My reading of that web site is you are dealing direct with an individual who sets their own terms of a stay. Some listings you have the whole villa, some just a room in the owner's home. You have to contact the owners and start a dialog. Good luck.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:49 am

Just spent 10 days in Bali, and taxi prices there are extortionate.

I stayed in Kuta, and discovered that it was around 250k IDR each way to Ubud if you used the meter.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer

I stayed in Kuta, and discovered that it was around 250k IDR each way to Ubud if you used the meter.
We were able to rent a driver/ guide for 13 hour days on more than one occassion for $50 US and others did it for $35. Ask any taxi driver and they will negotiate a rate or give you a card for a guide who will do it for you. Our experience of taxis was that they were incredibly inexpensive, although we never did a longer run on the meter.

BTW 250K IDR is equivalent to $26-$27 Cdn. I'm sorry but I don't understand how that is extortionate TBH.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer

I think Ubud is outside their normal area for Kuta/Legian taxis. Not sure if you're paying the Bule "tax", or out of area surcharges. 60-90 minutes was the average time between the two cities during our last few trips.

The time and hassle alone, makes it not a good choice to do it often. We rent a car/driver for 10-12 hours and it only runs 400k a day, including gas. We only do this if going far, or touring a bit.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:53 am

No, awardticket, I have never booked through airbnb. I only just learned of it recently. I was possibly going to use the site for some stays on Bali but ended up booking at a local hotel in Amed, a villa in Ubud booked at agoda.com and a villa in Sanur booked direct.

My reading of that web site is you are dealing direct with an individual who sets their own terms of a stay. Some listings you have the whole villa, some just a room in the owner's home. You have to contact the owners and start a dialog. Good luck.
I learnt about if from you and just saw it featured in a FORBES article. What did you book in Amed? I am split between Amed and Tulamben as a base to get my scuba license. I am thinking of staying here
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/759869
but I am a tad nervous as there are no reviews.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:50 pm

I learnt about if from you and just saw it featured in a FORBES article. What did you book in Amed? I am split between Amed and Tulamben as a base to get my scuba license. I am thinking of staying here
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/759869
but I am a tad nervous as there are no reviews.
I have 2 places I am considering:
Bali Bhuana Beach Cottages http://balibhuanabeachcottages.com/default.asp
Kembali Beach Bungalows http://www.kembalibeachbungalows.nl/

Both are right on the beach for snorkeling. Both are small properties with bungalow rooms. Both include breakfast and taxes for close to the same price. I did not have to prepay or put up a deposit for either one. That villa looks nice but of course it will in the pictures. The price is far more than I want to pay and we don't need 2 bedrooms. Be absolutely sure it is actually on the beach and not just "near" the beach if that's important to you.

I am keeping an eye on TA reviews and will make a decision soon. I'm leaning against Kembali because they do not take credit cards.

Last edited by susiesan; Mar 17, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.