Search

What to do while in Bali - the good and what not to do

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I have 2 places I am considering:
Bali Bhuana Beach Cottages http://balibhuanabeachcottages.com/default.asp
Kembali Beach Bungalows http://www.kembalibeachbungalows.nl/

Both are right on the beach for snorkeling. Both are small properties with bungalow rooms. Both include breakfast and taxes for close to the same price. I did not have to prepay or put up a deposit for either one. That villa looks nice but of course it will in the pictures. The price is far more than I want to pay and we don't need 2 bedrooms. Be absolutely sure it is actually on the beach and not just "near" the beach if that's important to you.

I am keeping an eye on TA reviews and will make a decision soon. I'm leaning against Kembali because they do not take credit cards.
I gotta hand it to you Susiesan you are really good at finding charming bungalows. You have me thinking here!! It will ulitmately come down to the diving options for me, as I want to dive while my wife and baby can relax at the bungalow/villa, so wherever I can find a good diving facility that will allow me to check up on the family during the day will be where I go.

I wish I can book my trip already, I am just having such a hard time finding award tickets in business class. I save up miles all year to fly in business because otherwise my wife is not going to fly 20+ hours for a vacation. From the NJ Bali is really far!!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by RustyC
Well, lessee...have any young kids carry the food while in the Monkey Forest (be sure to bring extra and carry in pockets) and then show 'em "The Wizard of Oz" on DVD that night ("Look, those monkeys can fly!") That'll change their view of monkeys for a good long time

Seriously, though, when I was there you got pestered too much by all the hawkers around Kuta. Ubud was the cheaper, more culturally serious area. Car daytours are often a good idea for surface-hitting things that might otherwise be a logistical challenge to get to, though they do sometimes overdo the visit-the-artisans-and-the-gift-shop thing. Besakih, like Kuta, had too many hawkers and was chaotic (not unlike the scene outside the Grand Palace in Bangkok), but still a must-see.

Many of the problems stem from too many people trying to eke out a living from the tourism, but it's still a beautiful island with great cutlural offerings.

There is a reason for all the hawkers and - people who eke out a living from tourism.

Before tourism the balinese farmed and were self sufficient - what they grew and did not need they traded.

Now the hotels and shopping centres occupy the farm land and they have to earn a living somehow .

Now if we westerners did not want to travel and experience other places - they would still be farming.

So you are a guest in there country - put up with it - or stay home
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:45 pm

Plan on spending 3 days in Sanur. One of them I will be doing a pool dive session, the 2nd day will be half day diving and the 3rd I will go to Tulamben to dive.

Will I have enough time to see Kuta beach and any other south Bali don't misses?

Also how far is Tulamben from Sanur? If I anyways plan on going to Ubud is it mad not to go along the way?

Another thing I was wondering is if it's worth a trip to Batur from Ubud, not to climb but just to see it and how much time would I need there.

Thanks!!

Last edited by awardticket; Apr 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by adampenrith

So you are a guest in there country - put up with it - or stay home
Quite judgmental, aren't we? I live in Indonesia much of the year and can tell you that Indonesians aren't enthused about the constant parade of hawkers, either. Many of the hawkers aren't even Balinese.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awardticket
Plan on spending 3 days in Sanur. One of them I will be doing a pool dive session, the 2nd day will be half day diving and the 3rd I will go to Tulamben to dive.

Will I have enough time to see Kuta beach and any other south Bali don't misses?

Also how far is Tulamben from Sanur? If I anyways plan on going to Ubud is it mad not to go along the way?

Another thing I was wondering is if it's worth a trip to Batur from Ubud, not to climb but just to see it and how much time would I need there.

Thanks!!
Tulamben is quite far from Sanur. In the tourist areas traffic can be horrendous, so don't expect to go anywhere quickly.

Personally, I'd add a few days to your trip, and explore the other areas, if you really want to explore the island more. I'd say a week in Bali would be much better.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Tulamben is quite far from Sanur. In the tourist areas traffic can be horrendous, so don't expect to go anywhere quickly.

Personally, I'd add a few days to your trip, and explore the other areas, if you really want to explore the island more. I'd say a week in Bali would be much better.
Oh we are actually in Bali for 9 days, I was just trying to sort out that part of the trip. Heck it's 25 hours of flying for us!!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh we are actually in Bali for 9 days, I was just trying to sort out that part of the trip. Heck it's 25 hours of flying for us!!
That's a fairly good distance. I usually fly 20-24 hours from the US, plus 3-12 hours more if I hit crappy connections.

Have fun, and make sure and post what you enjoyed doing.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
Bali

I have a place in Bali located in Seminyak that I rent out if anyone is interested you can PM me. I am also willing to answer anyone's questions on Bali in general.

Dave
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:34 am

What's not to miss in Ubud? Does 2 nights one day there with a morning stop to Batur,
Tegallalang, and the rest of the day exploring Ubud make sense?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Any suggestions for 4? 2 Adults 2 teens?

We are coming to Bali in August for a week or two. Looking for great places for families where we can all stay together, or rooms very close. Budget could be $100-200 night.

Have found a few things on Holidaylettings and VRBO but thought I would ask here too.

Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Misnerfamily
We are coming to Bali in August for a week or two. Looking for great places for families where we can all stay together, or rooms very close. Budget could be $100-200 night.

Have found a few things on Holidaylettings and VRBO but thought I would ask here too.

Thanks
Check Airbnb which is a great resource for Bali.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Will do

We used Airbnb a few years ago in NYC - was a very bad experience. Had our Brownstone Apartment cancelled an hour before we left on our 5 hour flight to NYC. Maybe we will try it again.

Check Airbnb which is a great resource for Bali.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:28 pm

We used Airbnb a few years ago in NYC - was a very bad experience. Had our Brownstone Apartment cancelled an hour before we left on our 5 hour flight to NYC. Maybe we will try it again.
that's not fun. Find a place with good reviews I guess
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
My place is available in August.

Dave

Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by dave209
My place is available in August.

Dave
I must add to your post that your place is a really stunning and from the pics it looks like an awesome place to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.