Wiki Posts
Search

What to do while in Bali - the good and what not to do

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso

My husband, 11 month old daughter, and I will be visiting Bali for 8 days in May to celebrate our 5th anniversary. We have 4 nights booked through VRBO at a place in Ubud and will do 3 nights at the Conrad.

Where have you visited that was worth it and where would you stay away from? We will want to visit some temples, hopefully see an awesome sunset, maybe see the monkeys (this makes me super nervous with our LO in tow, since they seem to be very aggressive), rice paddies, etc.

Also, what would you recommend for places to eat? We probably wouldn't do anything upscale. We really appreciate the mom and pop joints the locals visit though.

Thanks in advance! We are getting excited!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
While we were there 3 years ago, we were told that monkeys are aggressive and would snatch eye glasses from those that are wearing them. We were extra careful. Had not seen this happen, though.

To eat like the local, try the suckling or crackling pig. We went to this well patronized place in Kuta with a very long heavy wooden table. Apparently this long table is like a symbol of this place. I am sure others more familiar with Bali will give you better directions.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold
k_malmH and I will be visiting Bali in August and staying a total of 9 nights. I plan to spend 3-4 nights in Ubud and was looking at a villa rental. Which VRBO listing did you go with? Did you also check villas on airbnb.com?

I will follow along this thread as advice given to OP will apply to me also
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by susiesan
k_malmH and I will be visiting Bali in August and staying a total of 9 nights. I plan to spend 3-4 nights in Ubud and was looking at a villa rental. Which VRBO listing did you go with? Did you also check villas on airbnb.com?

Not exactly. There are plenty of things adults and school-age or older children can do, that an 11-month old or those toting same, simply cannot.

Acceptable for those with young children: walking around the towns and markets, walking most temple complexes (note that you'll need a carrier for the baby, as few places are stroller friendly). Shopping: Possibly some cultural shows that are relatively informal and open-air. Relaxing on the beach (with some accessible shade). Car-based tours with well-planned stops are fine of course. There are plenty of "viewing" type stops of Bali scenery that don't involve much walking or hiking.

Not acceptable: rafting, diving, elephant riding, more involved hiking through rice paddies and villages; some evening shows (i.e. Ubud dances) like the kecak that might scare the baby. And of course, nightclubbing if you're into that sort of thing. A babysitter would be needed to take care of a child while parents are doing any of these. 11-months is also too young to participate in the Kids Clubs that many of the name brand hotels run.

Monkey Forest: Secret to dealing with this is to CARRY ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD even that which is hidden (monkeys can smell it). IME, monkeys may come within a few meters and sniff at you, looking for something to eat. If you have none and ignore them, they will ignore you and look to the next person coming along for a handout. Do not approach them and definitely do not try to touch/grab an animal. Looking and taking pictures is OK but don't get in their faces. I did not find them interested in my camera or other possessions. Bottle of water is OK, they aren't interested in that. The baby should be carried in arms.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Monkeys in Ulawatu almost seemed trained to steal glasses. Not so, in the Ubud Sacred Monkey Forest. I personally feel that 11 months is too young to have them interact with the monkeys in ANY way.

Buy bananas at the entrance of the Monkey Forest, and if you'd like them to climb up you, hold the banana in one hand up high, and stand like a statue. They will climb you in a half second, and may perch on your shoulder to eat it, or take off running.

Obviously if you are afraid of animals don't do this. You can just toss a banana on the ground nearby, too.

Go earlier in the morning when they're hungry. For kids especially, don't tease or make sudden aggressive movements to the monyets. They also like water bottles. I got monkey jacked a couple of years ago, with a 1.5 liter water bottle that was 1/3 full. It was a tug of war, but when momma monkey displayed her full set of teeth at me, I decided to let it go.

Don't feed peanuts to the monkeys.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by conglomerate
While we were there 3 years ago, we were told that monkeys are aggressive and would snatch eye glasses from those that are wearing them. We were extra careful. Had not seen this happen, though.

To eat like the local, try the suckling or crackling pig. We went to this well patronized place in Kuta with a very long heavy wooden table. Apparently this long table is like a symbol of this place. I am sure others more familiar with Bali will give you better directions.
We ate at Ibu Oka's in Ubud. I think they have a few locations in Bali. Very simple, outside dining. A pork plate is in the $4-5 range. Not a big serving, but ok. Tasted great.

Lots of other "Babi Guling" in Bali.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

I barely let my kid interact with my cat - there is no way I would let her play with a real monkey. My concern with the monkeys is I don't them trying to get close to the baby. I have no intentions of getting close to them or holding them - I held one in Belize and that was enough for me. I love animals and am not afraid of them, I just don't think I have any business holding monkeys.

And yes, no clubbing for us. I am most interested in hikes, beaches, markets, temples, cultural things, etc. I was wondering if I should even bother bringing her stroller or just plan on using our baby carrier the whole time. She is comfortable with either one. I would like to go on some less aggressive hikes - we go hiking with her now, so it isn't something new to her.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate it!!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not so much holding the monkey, mostly being an ABM. (Automatic banana machine). They climb, take it and go, mostly.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:23 am

Go to water bom. It's a really big water parkland quite good.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by susiesan

Sorry for the slow response. This is who I have booked for our stay near Ubud: www.thestudiosubud.com. Max, the owner, has been great so far. He even has a 34 page pdf on the area he sends you!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by k_malm
Sorry for the slow response. This is who I have booked for our stay near Ubud: www.thestudiosubud.com. Max, the owner, has been great so far. He even has a 34 page pdf on the area he sends you!
Thanks for the info. Right now, I have a reservation booked at a small hotel Alam Shanti. Our room is actually a 2 story little house. I'm going to continue to look around at other options. I didn't realize you had to book so far in advance on Bali to get into places that rate high on TA. So now I have to start picking out where to stay in the other parts of Bali we will visit. I figured Bali was a last minute kind of place, but I was wrong.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

susiesan - do you want me to PM you with private driver information I have? For about $50/day, you can get a driver for 10-12 hours. That is our plan as it costs just as much to rent a car and I would rather have a local drive me.

PS - I am from NE KS and fly into MCI whenever I go back home. It is always nice to see other people from the area on FT.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:38 am

Thinking about going on a trip to Bali this coming up August. Wife is due in March. Is this a crazy idea? Don't mind going somewhere where she can chill at hotel while I get scuba certified. Would want to see some rice paddies, temples, and relax. Would probably wanna drive or be driven around as much as the island as possible just to see it, although I would rather stay in only one or max 2 places.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by k_malm
susiesan - do you want me to PM you with private driver information I have? For about $50/day, you can get a driver for 10-12 hours. That is our plan as it costs just as much to rent a car and I would rather have a local drive me.

PS - I am from NE KS and fly into MCI whenever I go back home. It is always nice to see other people from the area on FT.
Yes, please PM me with the name. Are you aware of this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...14-2013-a.html

BBQ do in KC. You should join us.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used Jess a few times. Always good. Here's his contact info on TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...nggu_Bali.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.