Wiki Posts
Search

Visa / VOA Info for Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by chavala
I am in no way saying this is an authority!... but last week's Survivor Cambodia called them Tuk-Tuks.... they even went to the "Tuk-Tuk Cafe"
If you walk down the street you'll be verbally assaulted with, 'tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk.....'

It's pretty clear what they're called.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:00 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
If you walk down the street you'll be verbally assaulted with, 'tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk.....'
I didn't feel assaulted by "Tuk Tuk sir?"

But I get the point ^
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:11 pm

They're super aggressive & a huge pain in the *ss. If you walk a km you'll be yelled the offer at least 50X. They'll even ask you after they saw you turn down 10 other tuk tuks. I crank up the earphones if walking anywhere. They make Indian Tailors in Phuket look good by comparison !
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
They're super aggressive & a huge pain in the *ss. If you walk a km you'll be yelled the offer at least 50X. They'll even ask you after they saw you turn down 10 other tuk tuks. I crank up the earphones if walking anywhere. They make Indian Tailors in Phuket look good by comparison !
I've gotten out of a car that was just parked and immediately heard: tuk tuk moto tuk tuk moto...... They saw me get out of the car.

A friend walks down the street with his car keys jingling in hand every time he walks through a gauntlet. That is the only thing that seems to register.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I spend much time in Cambodia and have never heard any local call it 'remorque'. I'm familiar with the term but not the usage.
I'm in Siem Reap now. Just asked my ___-___ driver if anyone calls this a remorque. He laughed and said not since his grandfather.

Anyway thank goodness we don't have to walk down the street hearing "remorque! remorque! remorque!"

Last edited by chavala; Nov 24, 2015 at 9:47 pm Reason: ad
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Well, decided to go with e-visa this time. Last year wait/processing time was 30 min and I hope to cut that to 5 min now.

The e-visa came with following instructions, which are self-explanatory. Question - is there anything below which different with the reality at REP?
Do I understand correctly that I won't need any more passport photos to carry and anything to pay at the counter?
Originally Posted by too2early
Last time I entered with the e-visa it was just that simple. Nothing more.
The e-visa (35$) worked well for me. However, the immigratin guy at REP asked for "tips". I did not know what to do (having never been to the country before). Had a few 1$ bills and gave them. He got hyper excited.
Till then he kept fudging with my passport....and I was getting a little worried.

Ironically, we saw a huge road sign "say NO to corruption"....below the sign was a police dude taking money from like every other car / moto, etc..
THe people were simply taking out cash from their wallet as soon as the guy stopped them.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Ironically, we saw a huge road sign "say NO to corruption"....below the sign was a police dude taking money from like every other car / moto, etc..
THe people were simply taking out cash from their wallet as soon as the guy stopped them.
A common occurrence and even moreso right before major holidays. The cops need to fund their parties and gifts to their bosses to elevate in position on the promotion list.

Top to bottom it's a pay to play scenario.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, hotels.com
So you're saying if asked to tip just do it and move on? Curious as I'll be in the area in a couple weeks.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kylebrewington
So you're saying if asked to tip just do it and move on? Curious as I'll be in the area in a couple weeks.
The "normal" people we chatted with in REP said "do not pay".
Worst case, you can give them exactly 1$. (they will take any amount).

On our way back...luckily the guy did not ask for money. However, he was pi$$ed beyond imagination and made sure everyone in our line knew about it..

These were the worst people we met in Cambodia.
Every other interaction with people there was so amazing!
It is a very friendly place!!!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:31 pm

This may have been said in this thread:
Keep a bunch of 1$ bills. and maybe 5$ bills... USD is accepted everywhere.
You do not need to change to local currency.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
This may have been said in this thread:
Keep a bunch of 1$ bills. and maybe 5$ bills... USD is accepted everywhere.
You do not need to change to local currency.
Not sure if it's in this thread, but it's good reminder.

In another thread (IIRC) someone posted that they made the mistake of withdrawing local currency from ATM had a hard time using it.

Local currency is basically used as change for less than a dollar @:-) At least in the capital.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: most of them
Yes, essentially every price is in USD. And you get change for small amounts in the local currency. I was told that the ATMs still dispense USD.

As for visas...my little Lao Airlines flight yesterday arrived just after full K6 flights from ICN and SGN. So the immigration hall had a lot of people in it. I did the eVisa and was able to walk right up to the passport control desk. Since everyone else was filling out VOA forms and getting in the line to have those processed I felt like doing it in advance was well worthwhile. I had to wait a couple of minutes for my luggage but I was the first person out of the airport. No one asked me for a bribe.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Yes, essentially every price is in USD. And you get change for small amounts in the local currency. I was told that the ATMs still dispense USD.

As for visas...my little Lao Airlines flight yesterday arrived just after full K6 flights from ICN and SGN. So the immigration hall had a lot of people in it. I did the eVisa and was able to walk right up to the passport control desk. Since everyone else was filling out VOA forms and getting in the line to have those processed I felt like doing it in advance was well worthwhile. I had to wait a couple of minutes for my luggage but I was the first person out of the airport. No one asked me for a bribe.
^^
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, hotels.com
this might be a stupid question but is the exchange rate 1:1 out of an ATM in cambodia for USD? lol like if I pull out $50 does it charge my bank for $50?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:14 pm

There will be a foreign transaction withdrawal fee by your debit card issuer ( unless you use one on the few banks or credit unions which do not charge or reimburse the fee) and most likely another transaction fee by ATM bank in Cambodia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.