Visa / VOA Info for Cambodia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa / VOA Info for Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Was there in January and the locals (even at the hotel) say it's called "The official name for them is the French word remorque"

Quick search shows this
"Motor cycles with trailers were known in Cambodia as remorque+ for decades before the use of +tuk tuk appeared very recently - around the year 2000 would be my guess."

Government now wants the old name restored. They are different than in Thailand since they are motorbikes with a trailer vs a 3 wheeler.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by milesk
Quick search shows this
"Motor cycles with trailers were known in Cambodia as remorque+ for decades before the use of +tuk tuk appeared very recently - around the year 2000 would be my guess."

Government now wants the old name restored. They are different than in Thailand since they are motorbikes with a trailer vs a 3 wheeler.
Good luck with that

Quebec's language police seem to make it work, but it's very hard to get people to change the way they talk.

Cambodia is NOT a likely first Asia country to be visited, so the sound of familiar tuk tuk will comfort most first time visitors @:-)
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
The Wikitravel article for Siem Reap also refers to tuk-tuks as Motodops.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TimUT78
The Wikitravel article for Siem Reap also refers to tuk-tuks as Motodops.
Motodops (or motodoops) are the motobike taxis. Different animal.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there in January and the locals (even at the hotel) say it's called "The official name for them is the French word remorque"

Quick search shows this

I spend much time in Cambodia and have never heard any local call it 'remorque'. I'm familiar with the term but not the usage.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:21 pm

There's a new Transit e-visa for Cambodia, which became effective Sept 1st. It's good for three days and costs $15 + $7 electronic processing fee + a possible $3 "additional payment gateway service charge"...
I'm wondering if anyone has tested the limits of these "three days"--are they calendar days or 24-hour periods?
I'm arriving on a Thursday night and flying out Sunday morning...so 3 nights, but not a full 3 days. Wondering if I fit the criteria for the Transit e-visa.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ErthCrclr
There's a new Transit e-visa for Cambodia, which became effective Sept 1st. It's good for three days and costs $15 + $7 electronic processing fee + a possible $3 "additional payment gateway service charge"...
I'm wondering if anyone has tested the limits of these "three days"--are they calendar days or 24-hour periods?
I'm arriving on a Thursday night and flying out Sunday morning...so 3 nights, but not a full 3 days. Wondering if I fit the criteria for the Transit e-visa.
If it was stated as 72 hours that would be one thing but a 3-day visa would most likely be 3 days, not 3 nights (4 days).
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, hotels.com
I read several pages but wanted to verify.

For a US citizen coming into Siem Reap from BKK, I need one passport photo, my passport, and $35USD to get the VOA?

I read that someone scanned their passport and cropped it to be their picture and printed it out? Is that effective enough or do I need to hit a walgreens to have legit pictures printed out? I plan on bringing several due to needing several separate visas.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:57 pm

I don't think they care too much about pictures. But you can always take a selfie with you phone, use something like idphoto print or the official cropping tool, download it online and print the sheet of 6 pictures at CVS for about 20 cents. I used it on multiple visas.
http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/...IG_cropper.swf
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Well, I had my photos ready to go on chest of drawers to take with me to PHN, alas when I arrived, did not have them. They were waiting for me in the same place when I returned home

But as I posted upthread, no problem, they took their own and charged me $2 IIRC. It just took longer to get through than other pax
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, hotels.com
Awesome! I'll just take the photo myself then and try to print some out before I leave just to save the trouble and time.

Thanks guys!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:48 pm

Hardly worth the trouble to save two bucks unless you print up a load of them. They'll come in handy in the future
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
For e-visa

Well, decided to go with e-visa this time. Last year wait/processing time was 30 min and I hope to cut that to 5 min now.

The e-visa came with following instructions, which are self-explanatory. Question - is there anything below which different with the reality at REP?
Do I understand correctly that I won't need any more passport photos to carry and anything to pay at the counter?

1. Please check all the information on your e-Visa certificate to make sure they are correct. Contact us at http://www.evisa.gov.kh/enquiry.aspx if there is any error.
2. You will see the label of "Cambodia E-VISA" in your credit card statement for this transaction.
3. Your e-Visa is only valid for one(1) entry.
4. No sticker will be issued to you for e-Visa. Please print out 2 copies of this e-Visa certificate. Pass one(1) copy to immigration as your Travel Visa at entry and one(1) copy upon departure. For your convenience, you may cut your printed e-Visa and staple to your passport.
5. e-Visa printout in black and white is acceptable.
6. All your information will be checked on arrival at the Immigration Online System.
7. At the checkpoint, please go directly to the e-Visa immigration counter for processing. Look for e-Visa signboard. If you are not sure, please approach the officer for instructions to avoid unnecessary delay.
For Siem Reap Airport, please go to any counter from 02 - 08.
For Phnom Penh Airport, please go to any counter from 03 - 09.
8. You are required to fill out departure and arrival cards at the entry and exit point.
9. Entry to invalid e-Visa ports is prohibited.
10. e-Visa fee is non-refundable.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Last time I entered with the e-visa it was just that simple. Nothing more.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Completely agree but they're not called tuk-tuk's in Cambodia.
Name escapes now but non the less, I agree.
I am in no way saying this is an authority!... but last week's Survivor Cambodia called them Tuk-Tuks.... they even went to the "Tuk-Tuk Cafe"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.