Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I used Europcar once in Bariloche and it was similar to all other big car rentals. Budget is usually the cheapest but their insurance is very bad - for instance in Salta it doesn't (didn't?) cover accidents in gravel roads, and 40% of the roads in Salta are gravel.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Visited the Uco Valle last weekend and stopped for a parilla lunch at La Juntada. It was very good at 370ars pp with a bottle of wine between 170-450. It's at the intersection where all the shops and large wine bottles are. Very nice.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Is Francis Mallman's Siete Fuegos worth the price? Speaking of price: is U$150 per couple (including wine) a reasonable estimate?
And finally, given the choice: lunch or dinner?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RafKa
Is Francis Mallman's Siete Fuegos worth the price? Speaking of price: is U$150 per couple (including wine) a reasonable estimate?
And finally, given the choice: lunch or dinner?
Bumping this.

Any thoughts? Am about to make lunch bookings for my trip next month: La Azul and Casa Enemigo are definitely on my list, but am unsure about Mallman's Siete Fuegos or 1844 (my family went cold on Mallman after watching Chef's Table and realizing he doesn't seem to be a very likable character).

Any other reccomendations?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I have only been to Siete Fuegos at the Vines for lunch. The food was really good and the location is spectacular. I wouldn't go there for dinner unless staying at the hotel.
RafKa likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:58 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband and I are going to Mendoza in April and I'm torn between stayed at Cavas Wine Lodge or The Vines Resort & Spa. Top notch accommodation is important to us and as we'll only be staying two nights we want to experience the best there is. Has anyone stayed at both and can compare?

I love the design of The Vines but everything I'm reading suggests Cavas Wine Lodge has the better service.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:22 am

Hi dear,
7 Fuegos Malman it’s a good fancy place to eat. It’s expensive and luxury.
I recomend you to go to SuperUco winery or Gimenez Riili in that area.
La Azul best of all.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:30 am

Both places are magnificent.
If you stay The Vines you will have to paid much more for transportation and at night you won’t have many options for dinner.
Cavas is best located. I will look into Entrecielos.
Allways been down town Mendoza gives you moré chances
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by MIGUEL SANZ
Both places are magnificent.
If you stay The Vines you will have to paid much more for transportation and at night you won’t have many options for dinner.
Cavas is best located. I will look into Entrecielos.
Allways been down town Mendoza gives you moré chances
Thank you so much. It does seem with Cavas we maybe able to may more of our short time in Mendoza.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by MIGUEL SANZ
Hi dear,
7 Fuegos Malman it’s a good fancy place to eat. It’s expensive and luxury.
I recomend you to go to SuperUco winery or Gimenez Riili in that area.
La Azul best of all.
Gracias Miguel!!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:09 am

better reaerve

better reserve
Azul far in advance
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by David Beach
better reserve
Azul far in advance
All done. Carnival is also a public holiday in Argentina so very busy indeed...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by David Beach
better reserve
Azul far in advance
All done. Carnival is also a public holiday in Argentina so very busy indeed...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:38 pm

Restaurant Report: Mendoza and Valle de Uco

Just wanted to report on my experiences from a couple of weeks ago and some of the meals we had.
1 U$ = 20 AR$ at the time

Lunch at Casa Enemigo:
Food and service great, we were continually checked on. Even Alejandro Vigil came to check on us "undercover".
3 course lunch was AR$ 760 (U$38) per person, and wine pairings were AR$ 280 - 1060. I took the Gran Enemigo Experience for AR$ 640 which included teh Gran Enemigo Gualtallary (98 by Robert Parker).
The food was very good, but it's a long-drawn lunch. The wines were fantastic, and bottomless! And they would occasionally bring some other wines from other wineries to taste.
My recommendation would be to skip the lunch and have a chesseboard in the garden with the wine pairings.

Lunch at La Azul:
5 course menu including wine AR$ 750.
This was our second time, and since it was a Sunday, they had live music which made it especially atmospheric. Food delicious as usual, although the service suffered a little as they were extremely full.
Note: drove past on a Monday and they were completely closed.

Lunch at La Querencia:
Was recommended by the guys at Laureano Gomez (a must visit!) instead of Mi Quincho. This simple place in Tunuyan was full of locals. Very traditional, you are brought various types of cuts. You won't find sirloin ribeye or fillet here, but it was a good experience. And cheap at AR$250 per person. Only let down: they were out of most wines I wanted to order!

Dinner at 1844:
Spectacular courtyard, with the open fire pits and barbecue. We were really impressed at the sophisticated ambience of the place.
The hostess however was snooty, and service went downhill at the end (couldn't get our bill, had to queue up at cashier's desk to pay bill because "she was very busy").
Food was fantastic, very generous portions, and especially surprised at the wine list, with plenty of options starting around AR$ 300 and reasonable mark-ups vs wineries.

Light lunch at Salentein:
Skipped the massive cafeteria-style restaurant and sat at the bar's terrace with a spectacular view with bottles of sparkling starting at AR$ 220 and great light options like cheese/cold cut boards, empanadas, etc.
CLG and Flying Machine like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:06 pm

Yeah, the places like La Azul that are open on Sunday are often closed on Monday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.