Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Does the new official rate mean that hotels are not discounted like they were in the past few months?
Yes, at least for everything that was quoted in USD.

I am arriving in Ushuaia next week and the hotel is no longer cancellable. Will now have to pay $90 a week instead of $40 as expected - because the rate was shown in Dollar.

May still be able to make a new booking via despegar or other Argentinan agencies that quote in Pesos. Or hotels that are quoting rates in ARS for foreigners.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
From Ambito

The blue dollar falls this Thursday, December 14 to $935 for the purchase and $985 for the sale. Thus, the gap approaches 20% and scores minimums since March 2020. It happens after the economic announcements of Minister Luis Caputo, among which a strong rise in the wholesale exchange rate was highlighted.
In this context, the informal dollar drops $85 to $985, according to a survey by mbito in the caves of the City. In this way, it records the largest daily drop in almost two months when on October 25 it dropped $100 in one day.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC, One Pass, AA Advantage,Enrich, Miles & More, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by delpiero223
Yes, at least for everything that was quoted in USD.

I am arriving in Ushuaia next week and the hotel is no longer cancellable. Will now have to pay $90 a week instead of $40 as expected - because the rate was shown in Dollar.

May still be able to make a new booking via despegar or other Argentinan agencies that quote in Pesos. Or hotels that are quoting rates in ARS for foreigners.
same here. arriving BA on Sunday and Sheraton is no longer usd115, now its usd225. Tried checking on the OTA they all show in pesos but when clicking thru it converts to USD even when VPNed to Argentina. Booking.com shows in peso but at the bottow it shows the USD conversion which is the higher rate. Not sure when paying at the hotel, they will go by the USD rate as the base and then convert it to peso or vice versa.

if you know of any sites that quote in peso would love to know what are those. thanks!
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Paya Bunga
if you know of any sites that quote in peso would love to know what are those. thanks!
A friend of mine recommended https://www.despegar.com.ar/, but I haven't tried it yet

Booking.com doesn't make sense imo. I've contacted a few hotels and they are all converting dollar to USD at the check-in date. Either using the official rate (fair, but still bad for us) or using the MEP rate (which is basically scamming tourists, but only 30% more now).
Paya Bunga likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, One Pass, AA Advantage,Enrich, Miles & More, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by delpiero223
A friend of mine recommended https://www.despegar.com.ar/, but I haven't tried it yet

Booking.com doesn't make sense imo. I've contacted a few hotels and they are all converting dollar to USD at the check-in date. Either using the official rate (fair, but still bad for us) or using the MEP rate (which is basically scamming tourists, but only 30% more now).

looks like despegar site is also not as cheap, or the prices could have gone up after yesterday. Generally not too far off from Booking.com

You are right about the hotels using USD. i just called Sheraton BA and was told that all rates are quoted in USD as the base and then converted to pesos at the time of payment. So i'm going to cancel and rebook using points as that comes out cheaper.

Btw, looks like the blue dollar rate is down 7% today. gap getting narrower as i get closer to my trip unfortunately
Old Dec 15, 2023, 1:29 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Interestingly Visa currency conversion rate quotes something in between BNA and "blue" rate today: and the spread between BNA and "blue" is only 20 %.
https://www.cronista.com/MercadosOnline/monedas.html
https://www.visa.co.uk/support/consu...alculator.html

For those having booked the kind of places like Cavas Wine Lodge it looks like they will really pay the amount in USD which could be well over 1000 - little sympathy for them. I never speculated on these things and always staying at simpler but still pleasant places book in ARS on spanish language websites. Booking a car on the local website with Enterprise https://enterprise.com.ar/ is a bargain - always.
iahphx likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Despegar is a good option, but you need to book an hotel that is rated in pesos and allow you to pay for the reservation in full, not half or just a little percent. Another option is call the hotel and see if they can process the book at the current time and pay right away. Not many places will have a fixed price in Pesos and allows you to make the payment right away. I was lucky with one, I book directly with their website and make the payment Tuesday before midnight, next day the price went up 2x and 3x on some dates for the same place.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
Not many places will have a fixed price in Pesos and allows you to make the payment right away. I was lucky with one, I book directly with their website and make the payment Tuesday before midnight, next day the price went up 2x and 3x on some dates for the same place.
Can you share which one you booked? Looking for one in BA right now, as the one via booking.com went up from 30 to about 70 USD due to the currency fluctuation
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Sorry I didn't see you question, the place I was talking is located in Patagonia (Esquel), not in BsAs. As today, check AirBnB, you may find a better deal on some locations. For now is better to prepaid any reservation that you see in pesos, because if you just reserve it, by the time you arrive the official rate (800 at the moment) may go up, while with the previous government it was locked at a good rate for months (365).
Old Dec 22, 2023, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Milei- You are now free to buy dollars. Blue transactions are now legal.

From the Buenos Aires times: You are now free to buy dollars. Blue transactions are now legal.

Javier Milei stated on Thursday that after his emergency mega-decree comes into effect, buying and selling US dollars on parallel markets is no longer a crime.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/econ...-dollars.phtml
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
From the Buenos Aires times: You are now free to buy dollars. Blue transactions are now legal.

Javier Milei stated on Thursday that after his emergency mega-decree comes into effect, buying and selling US dollars on parallel markets is no longer a crime.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/econ...-dollars.phtml
So using the cuevas did seem a little strange earlier this month. In BA, it certainly FELT legal. I mean, all you had to do was go into a Western Union on Florida with crisp $100 bills and you were good. In Mendoza, it was A LITTLE sketchier. My hotel conceirge told me what street to go to. He recommended one place that was actually closed, but a jewelry store a couple doors down was happy to do the exchange (at a better rate than the cambio guys on the street). In smaller cities, you had to meet someone who knew someone who changed money.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
So using the cuevas did seem a little strange earlier this month. In BA, it certainly FELT legal. I mean, all you had to do was go into a Western Union on Florida with crisp $100 bills and you were good. In Mendoza, it was A LITTLE sketchier. My hotel conceirge told me what street to go to. He recommended one place that was actually closed, but a jewelry store a couple doors down was happy to do the exchange (at a better rate than the cambio guys on the street). In smaller cities, you had to meet someone who knew someone who changed money.
Was the jewelry store in Mendoza inside a smallish mall that had a Rolex sign on the outside? Funny, if so, I was there a few years ago. A local winemaker took me there.,
Old Dec 23, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Was the jewelry store in Mendoza inside a smallish mall that had a Rolex sign on the outside? Funny, if so, I was there a few years ago. A local winemaker took me there.,
I don't remember the Rolex sign, but it was in a smallish mall,. The place the hotel conceirge recommended was a "Pago Facil" on Gral. Espejo 2 1/2 blocks east of the Plaza Independencia. (This was apparently the "cambio" neighborhood in town and there were a couple guys on the street looking for customers.) When that storefront was closed, we wandered into the small mall on the same side of the street and found the modest jewelry store that changed money for us -- at better rates than the street guys. In general, modest jewelry stores are good places to inquire about changing money in Argentina. But whether any of that will matter now with Milei's new pronouncements I don't know.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I don't trust what the foreign media says about the financial situation in Argentina (like the idea that 40% of Argentines are living in poverty is just not true), but I am curious about this report that prices skyrocketed in the stores this month after Milei adjusted the official exchange rate. Did this happen? We were in Argentina in early December right before this change was made and prices were extremely cheap in the stores on Argentine-made products with our blue exchange rate (like 2 1/2 times the official rate). I assumed that dynamic was not sustainable.

https://www.ft.com/content/3bba65ac-...e-8bde8735dcff
Old Dec 24, 2023, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iahphx
So I don't trust what the foreign media says about the financial situation in Argentina (like the idea that 40% of Argentines are living in poverty is just not true), but I am curious about this report that prices skyrocketed in the stores this month after Milei adjusted the official exchange rate. Did this happen? We were in Argentina in early December right before this change was made and prices were extremely cheap in the stores on Argentine-made products with our blue exchange rate (like 2 1/2 times the official rate). I assumed that dynamic was not sustainable.

https://www.ft.com/content/3bba65ac-...e-8bde8735dcff
Poverty is far worse than 40 percent. You just had a "first world" tourist experience and didn't see it. Automobile prices have gone up 40 percent+ since the election, and I believe that fuel subsidies have diminished, meat prices have skyrocketed. I won't be there for another week-plus but I believe the news that I am receiving.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.