FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1906386-usd-ars-exchange-hits-new-record-high.html)

Flying Machine Apr 27, 2018 8:49 am

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Seems that there is a growing demand for US dollars, and the Argentine Central Bank is taking some action. What are your thoughts? Interesting read:

US Dollar Reaches New High Against Peso as Central Bank Steps In | The Bubble | Argentina News

Eastbay1K Apr 27, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 29689831)
Seems that there is a growing demand for US dollars, and the Argentine Central Bank is taking some action. What are your thoughts? Interesting read:

US Dollar Reaches New High Against Peso as Central Bank Steps In The Bubble Argentina News

I think the AR$ remains overvalued by a fair % and that history shows that eventually, an artificially propped-up currency is going to have its crutches break one day.

HIDDY Apr 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 29689946)
I think the AR$ remains overvalued by a fair % and that history shows that eventually, an artificially propped-up currency is going to have its crutches break one day.

Indeed.

bakoboy May 1, 2018 3:02 pm

I came back from Argentina Saturday. My last trip was in August 2017 when the rate was 1 USD to 15 peso. Now it is 1 USD to 20+pesos and things seemed expensive in USD. Restaurants seemed expensive. Still had fun on the trip, but not the tremendous value it used to be.

Eastbay1K May 2, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by bakoboy (Post 29704465)
I came back from Argentina Saturday. My last trip was in August 2017 when the rate was 1 USD to 15 peso. Now it is 1 USD to 20+pesos and things seemed expensive in USD. Restaurants seemed expensive. Still had fun on the trip, but not the tremendous value it used to be.

Peso passed 21 today.

Flying Machine May 2, 2018 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 29708285)
Peso passed 21 today.

here is the monthly daily closings from Ambito.com

http://www.ambito.com/economia/merca...?ric=ARSSCBCRA

Flying Machine May 2, 2018 3:30 pm

Yes close to a 3% change from the day prior

Flying Machine May 3, 2018 9:39 am

Wow! Up another 50 basis points today, can someone from Argentina lend their opinion? Thanks and safe travels

Update: up 1.11 intraday

Flying Machine May 3, 2018 5:49 pm

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...dd22d2ba6c.png

Interesting Chart

Marambio May 3, 2018 8:39 pm

My kitchen economics, based on empirical observation throughout my lifetime in this country, tell me that one litre of regular petrol here always costs one dollar, and the litre of petrol is now selling at approximately 26 pesos, i.e. there was some sort of “atraso cambiario” (literally, “the exchange rate is running late”).

I wouldn’t worry much about the exchange rate – it may go up a little bit more, and then come back to 21 pesos or so. The main problem is that with the recent price hikes in public utily bills and labour negotiations (“paritarias”) still ongoing, people have less and less money on their pockets, so public mood is volatile to say the least.

malagajohn May 4, 2018 8:48 am

Exchange rate fell back this morning to around 22 as the government announced a hike in spot interest rates to 40%.

One day they will have to totally free the exchange rate - most independent econiomists agree that it should be around 25/26 per USD

Its a crazy situation . Most people feel that Macri and his buddies dont know what they are doing.

Inflation remains at above 25% and the government claims that the target for next year is 10% . But they have not taken one measure to bring down inflation

HIDDY May 5, 2018 8:34 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 29715138)
. Most people feel that Macri and his buddies dont know what they are doing.

Before anything improves the Argentine mentality has to change.....that'll never happen. :D

Gaucho100K May 6, 2018 11:44 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 29715138)
Most people feel that Macri and his buddies dont know what they are doing.

What is the definition of "most" people....? And since when does a majority opinion equate to being right about something....??? :rolleyes:

In Economics, there is no such thing as magic. The Populist Kirchner Regime gave away approx 12% of GNP per year on subsidies that killed proper energy consumption habits and gave many people the illusion that they suddenly had money in their pockets for things they could not afford. After 12 years of this nonsense, it has come time to PAY THE BILLS. 1 + 1 is 2, its not 2.1 and its not 2.5, its 2... this is math, its quite simple.

Armchair comments are very easy and amusing, but they almost never make much sense. The Fed has started to raise interest rates and that is a very strong external component that is a very relevant part of the Peso's current movements. This situation is of course compounded by the fact that Argentina (sadly) doesnt have much of a Currency, and even lower classes here know that they are not to save in Pesos.... and this is also another factor that adds pressure to the overall situation.

Hiddy hits the spot.... mentality has to change but that takes generations, and is a slow and many times (painful) process. In the end, I blame the British for all of this, but that is part of a bigger theory of mine that involves deep knowledge of Argentine History so I will leave this at that for now...... :rolleyes:

puchong May 7, 2018 9:53 am

(not travel and FFP related)

Eastbay1K May 7, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 29725499)
From a travel point of view.....(deleted by Moderator)

Respectfully, this is one of the most ill-advised posts I've ever read on FT. What you are proposing from a "travel point of view" is to freeze their economy again and make their currency 99.995% worthless outside of Argentina, which is what caused much of the current mess.