Reload this Page >

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:19 pm

in the few instances that we used our CC, it was a Visa CC and we got the MEP rate from the get go, it was with Chase

When we return and we will if the blue rate still remains at least 10% higher then the MEP we will once again change our ca$h, especially since some stores we went into was ca$h only

The biggest mistake we made was not buying at the Duty Free Shop in EZE, they listed the US rate @ 365 what we didnt realize till it was too late is they will multiply the $ amount by 365 and charge the purchase in ARS so the MEP rate would kick in = almost a 50% less net charge price wise so a $99 price should end up costing bet $55-60 when we saw the prices were more then wed pay back home we just went to the club to chill, by the time we realized the savings we didnt have the time to go shopping.
iahphx likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Visa was $654.72 today. Blue (buy pesos) is hovering around $730. And that is my experiement for this trip. Now someone owes me $2 for this public service!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Now someone owes me $2 for this public service!
Make that +/- 1460 pesos. But can't be exchanged outside Argentina...
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NPR has a new story, particularly interesting for the uninitiated on how money works here.

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/22/11979...nflation-milei
Old Sep 24, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
ARS rates seen at UIO arrival customs hall exchange counter: 0.001 / 0.002
Old Sep 25, 2023, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
ARS rates seen at UIO arrival customs hall exchange counter: 0.001 / 0.002
You'd think they were exchanging them for US Dollars
Old Sep 26, 2023, 1:17 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
You'd think they were exchanging them for US Dollars
You're right, E'bay. Ecuador uses the US dollar. We get it. But can this be true? Each Argentine peso bought at one-tenth of one US cent, and sold at two-tenths? That is way off the dollar blue rate in the cuevas. Perhaps a quick stop in Quito on your way to Buenos Aires, just to exchange Ben Franklins??
HkCaGu likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Make that +/- 1460 pesos. But can't be exchanged outside Argentina...
Today, well over $1500. My currency purchase has lost about 7% during my estancia of 6 days.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The Blue Dollar hit a new intra-day high of $820 (sell rate), and is now closing the trading day at approx $800-805 (sell). Bid ask spreads have expanded greatly, this is typical of days where there is abrupt price movements. Looks like next week is going to be an interesting one..... stay tuned and fasten your seatbelts !!!
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:19 pm

so try to pay for AVE E-VISA today, website list Total to Pay ARS 73100,00 USD 200, any experience Visa/AMEX will charge blue rate or just charge USD?

For Marriott hotel in Argentina, they will charge ARS and I just pay by CC right?

Last edited by ecgz88; Oct 3, 2023 at 6:06 pm
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Blue Dollar trading at new record high today, now currently at AR$830 (sell rate)......
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spread has remained around $10 (sign of stability-ish?) but tourists, remember it is the BUY (pesos), not SELL (pesos) rate that you'll be getting. So, that's about $820 today.
Gaucho100K and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:34 am

Spread has remained around $10 (sign of stability-ish?) but tourists, remember it is the BUY (pesos), not SELL (pesos) rate that you'll be getting. So, that's about $820 today.
Good point about the Buy/Sell rate, visitors many times forget this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I'm a tourist and I walk into a decent restaurant in Buenos Aires to have a nice steak. How much friction is there going to be in determining what that steak is going to cost me? Are there menus with prices? In what currency? Do I have to have a negotiation on how I'm going to pay, and are they likely to try to overcharge me as a foreigner?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
So I'm a tourist and I walk into a decent restaurant in Buenos Aires to have a nice steak. How much friction is there going to be in determining what that steak is going to cost me? Are there menus with prices? In what currency? Do I have to have a negotiation on how I'm going to pay, and are they likely to try to overcharge me as a foreigner?
All the places we went to had menus with prices printed in them, some places had a sign Ca$h only while others took a CC. We never ran into any of the problems you are worried about. Which you can say the same about any business anywhere in The World, when they see an American walk in will they overcharge them or do they give them a different menu and prices then what a local gets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.